11 12 13
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/28/18 6:13 p.m.

The AIs tend to cut T1 at the start a bit, at least the ones on the inside. If we go full blown amnesty it may get us all through T1 ahead of the bots  

What AI settings are we using for the race? I've been practicing at 103/35 to get used to pressure from behind and figure out how and where to pass. At those settings I don't lap any backmarkers, so I need to practice at race settings. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/28/18 6:45 p.m.

The braking zone for T5 is an easy place to pass AIs without contact. 17-18 is next best place. Strangely enough the one place F1 cars try to pass ( braking for nouvelle chicane)is a place I've yet to pass anyone. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
8/28/18 7:56 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

We run at 85/25

I will allow first lap amnesty for T1. After that it should only be cut to avoid an incident and specifically not to try and setup a pass. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/28/18 9:52 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Sounds good. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/29/18 2:55 p.m.

I am ready for the crash fest!!!  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/29/18 5:41 p.m.

Well, that a check I can cash!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/29/18 5:47 p.m.

If you keep your tire temps below 200F they work a lot better. 

Also, if I drive carefully enough to not abuse my tires I tend to be slow enough to not crash. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/30/18 6:42 a.m.

Last night was a risk versus reward race for me. With 10 minutes of practice left I lowered the tire pressures by half a pound. I knew I did not have anything for sauce so the plan was to keep it out of the wall. I went with my setup that is the most consistent over the whole race and gave up all out speed.  The first couple laps were interesting. Running with TJ and Air I realized I wanted no part of that so I let Air by and backed it down in to a comfortable pace keeping risk to a minimum just making sure I hit my marks.  The only bit of excitement was coming up on Air and TJ both sideways in the middle of the track at the exit of turn one. Other than that it was just turning laps.  

I will admit to one intentional corner cut. On the last lap I cut turn one to get by a lap car but I slowed going up the hill to bring my lap time back in to the red so as not to have an advantage in overall lap speed. I figured that with a ten second lead the worst thing that would happen is I get a couple seconds penalty and that would not change my position. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/30/18 7:20 a.m.

That race was pretty fun. I had two big incidents with walls, both times soon following by collecting Air. The first one in T1, I would've survived and just kept driving along up the hill, but losing a couple seconds, but air came around the turn right behind me to find me nearly stopped in his path and we both ended up spinning to the inside guard rail.

The second one, I got loose on the left hander following the chicane and ended up perpendicular to the racing line. I couldn't get out of the way and my verbal warnings did no good. Air sent me flying that time, but I landed back on my wheels.

Despite my plan and pre-race advice, I managed to get my left front tire overheated in the first lap or two and couldn't get a clean lap for a while.

If I hadn't collected Air those two times and he had been able to get by me cleanly I don't think I would've ended up catching him.

Near the end he outbraked himself a couple times in T1 and that allowed me to get in striking range, then he lost it near the end of the second to last lap and I was able to sneak past while he was stopped.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/30/18 7:21 a.m.

Bugatti seems like it will be a fun track. The setup I used at Sugo seems like it just may work as is, but I'll have to do enough laps to check tire pressures. Everything else seems good.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/30/18 7:56 a.m.

Tj

i tried your setup at last weeks track and was having tire heat issues as well. The setup I have has no tire heat issues at all. But again it is a compromise for good total average speed over a whole race and does not have all out speed.  I will send it to you. I stayed on last night for another half hour or so and took my setup from last night and tuned the gears for next weeks track.  I think I got it about set up the way I want it.  I think I am going to have to raise tire pressures back up to where they were and maybe a bit more as this track has a couple sections where all out speed is going to be important. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/30/18 8:28 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The only significant differences in our setups was camber settings. My tire temp issues were self induced driving issues. The first few laps I was wary of getting rear ended in the braking zone for the nouvelle chicane and used my qualifying braking point instead of my race pace braking point. With all the fuel in the car I ended up sliding into/around the chicane losing time and abusing my tires. I needed to use your strategy of just hanging back and knocking out clean laps, but I was trying to get a gap on you and Air instead.

So. I would've heated up the tires with your setup as well I'm afraid, but I'll gladly try your setup out and see.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/30/18 10:23 a.m.

It was basically a Batman cartoon for me.

The first TJ incident was him right in front of me, nowhere to go.  The second t-bone smash was a bit ahead, but for some reason I just assumed he would not be splayed across the entire track!  That was clearly a bad assumption (there is just no room at that track).  After that it was pretty much just me running into things....

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
8/30/18 12:25 p.m.

It was a fairly uneventful race for me until I caught the AI parade. I made it past the first couple without much issue aside from rear ending one in the hairpin as I couldn't go any slower and still be moving.

After a lap and a half I started to get frustrated and out of rhythm and made a somewhat ambitious pass attempt. I got a run out of the chicane towards T12 and tried to force my way through on the inside, but didn't get far enough ahead and the AI turned in on me. That ended up with me in the wall and two AI cars unlapped themselves, so I was back to square one. 

Second verse, same as the first. Got back past the 2 cars without a problem and now needed to get past the same yellow Ferrari. This time I planned the pass better and got a run at the exit of T12 with the intent of sliding through under braking for T15. Well, the AI car ran wide at 14, hit the wall and bounced into me as I was coming alongside and sent me around again. 

Third time was the charm as I just straight lined the chicane at the end of the tunnel, and like Dean slowed down until the lap timer went red so there was no time gained.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/31/18 9:34 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

If you want I can make the replays for Rounds 7 and 8.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
8/31/18 10:56 a.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to BradLTL :

If you want I can make the replays for Rounds 7 and 8.

I have some time this afternoon to work on them, but you are welcome to as well. Up to you. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/31/18 1:21 p.m.

Dubai replay.

Forum bug still here, so can't embed the video.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
9/2/18 1:02 p.m.

Finally got caught up on replays and points.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/3/18 7:10 a.m.

T1 at bugatti is the trickiest turn for me. With low fuel and fresh tires I can turn in, get straightened out, then brake for Dunlop chicane. With a full load of fuel, that gets a little dicey, especially if I touch the curbing at all because the car is still unsettled when I need to brake. Easy to spin to right and have an off. 

I may need to lift a bit for T1 in race trim to play it safe.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/6/18 8:26 a.m.

Fun race and fun season. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/6/18 8:52 a.m.

Here is a replay of Round 10.

Brad wasn't joking about sleeping through the start. I caught Air's bump on Dean's rear (8:17). I can see why Dean didn't feel it - it was a light tap.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
9/6/18 10:19 a.m.

Thanks for the replay TJ, that saves me like an hour.  I posted the replay and updated points to the OP.

I don't know what happened at the start.  I clicked ready, but I clearly wasn't.  I was messing with my headset and looking around, I wasn't even thinking about the race starting until after the lights and the beep.  I let 2 AIs by immediately and started the race with red mist.  Got by them only to overcook it into the corner after Dunlop bridge.  Managed to get the car into a huge drift that I held, but I also took an trip across the grass letting the AI by me again.  I cleared them again and settled into 4th 5-6 seconds back of the rest of you and basically stayed there the rest of the race.  I managed to screw up T1 two times and ended up a good ways back by the end of the race.  

Next week is an unwind week.  We'll rally and mess around.  Then we'll work on what series is next.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/6/18 11:21 a.m.
BradLTL said:

Thanks for the replay TJ, that saves me like an hour. 

No problem. I wanted to watch the action between Air and Dean anyway, so it was easy enough to send it to Twitch.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/6/18 12:35 p.m.

You can also see how close I got to center punching TJ on the first lap in a few of those corners.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/6/18 12:46 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Yes, there were a couple close ones where our lines were different where you had to lift to avoid me. Thanks for lifting and avoiding contact.

11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cU0hFrOmKOlHBB6DhYKlSimwGjEuFxRJJP0YOm0Ee4xVjKZvRP8q7HhNO4dzg9uD