1 2 3 4
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/30/18 8:37 p.m.

Except I have no clue how to do that.  Do you take it from a replay?  

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
6/30/18 9:10 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

You can, or you can go a practice session and there is a photo mode when you hit the options button. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/1/18 8:55 a.m.

I still haven't figured out the secret with my fastest lap so far only a 1:25.1, but I did a race against the AIs. They are slow on this track and there can be passing in every corner of the track. I like the eye candy a lot. Seems like the 240Z is the slowest, then the Camaro and Mustang, then seems a little more jumbled up between the three euro cars. Looks like the Ferrari is the fastest AI car overall taking P2-5. I ran with 31 AI cars, so there was a lot of lapped traffic to play with. Seems like the AIs run about 1:30 laps or so they are a bit like rolling chicanes, but it was fun learning where to pass them and figuring out that on several of the corners you can pass them outside or inside.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/1/18 12:30 p.m.

Something we are going to have to be very careful of is tire pressure on the first couple laps. They start way to high and make the cars very hard to drive. It takes 4 laps or more for the tires to cool to get to operating temps.  This could lead to bad things in the first couple corners. If you have not tested this I strongly recommend you do. When we tested these cars last week it made my car virtually un drivable. When we ran the test race.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/1/18 12:55 p.m.

Does anyone know if we are going to have to pit for the half hour race?  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/1/18 1:09 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

No need. I did a 30 min race this morning. No stops. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/1/18 1:28 p.m.

These cars are tricky to get right, both in terms of setup and driving style.  If you can drive the car the way it wants to be driven it's very fast but on the ragged edge.  The car is also very sensitive to setup changes, even small tweaks can have significant effects.  So far my fastest time is a 1:22.4 in race trim but that's far from race pace.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/1/18 8:09 p.m.

Didn’t you get a 1:22.32 the other night?

My best was something like a 1:23.6. If I remember?  I was averaging in the high 23s or right at 1:24 dead for race pase with a full fuel load. I wonder what I could do on low fuel and new tires at optimal pressure.   

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/1/18 9:24 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Maybe?  I thought it was a 1:22.6.  Either way, mid to low 22's are on the table in race trim.  I did try some qualifying runs today but had a hard time with getting the tire temps/pressures right and clean track.  I may give it another go tomorrow, but I'll be out of town most of next week so further testing will be a bit limited.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/2/18 12:11 a.m.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/2/18 10:53 a.m.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/2/18 10:59 a.m.

I've got company at the house all week. Not sure if I'll have much time to figure out how the get the last few seconds out of the car before next Wednesday. I just noticed this morning that I had been running 0 camber in the fronts - I guess that is part of the default stable setup. Sounds wrong, but after changing it, the car feels exactly the same. This track is strange with these cars in that there really isn't much of any braking. I think I do relatively light touches at T1, then T3 and then one other time in the twisty section. My brake temps seem like they stay under 100F, but the brake ducts are not adjustable.

What is the optimum tire pressure for these bias ply slicks? Since most of the track is just driving around with the throttle pinned, I must be losing my time in the slower sections. I've got my gearing set now, where I mostly just use 4th and 5th, with a couple places where I drop to 3rd.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
7/2/18 4:37 p.m.

I’m with you TJ. I’m running 25-26s not sure I’ll find the time to find the time. 

Has “TheLedge” made it to the forums yet?

Rotarian, Spoolyou guys going to join for more than 1 race?

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
7/2/18 6:38 p.m.

Im in for this series. Going to run some laps now actually. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/2/18 9:16 p.m.

This car is very sensitive to tuning. I have touched every setting in this car. I found that the baseline settings for this car suck. So I reset everything and started tuning from there. I had the time and put several hours of tuning time in to it after our test the other day.  Then the other day I tuned it jointly with Sauce for another three hours or so using his input as well as mine and got it to where I have it now. (I think Sauce approves of the tune)  

Some of the important things that have the biggest impact.

up the dif settings including the number of plates

The rear springs in conjunction with bar adjustments front and rear do a lot. 

Tire pressure are a compromise.  Optimal strait line speed is achieved with pressures around 25-27 psi. But you will not get optimal grip. Optimal grip is between 22.5 and 23.5 psi.  

Gearing is best not using the highest numerical dif ratio  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/3/18 7:23 a.m.

If you are only lightly braking you are not running deep enough in to the corner. Turn three in particular 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
7/3/18 7:28 a.m.
dean1484 said:

I had the time and put several hours of tuning time in to it after our test the other day.  Then the other day I tuned it jointly with Sauce for another three hours or so using his input as well as mine and got it to where I have it now. 

Ok. So no excuses then right? devil

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/3/18 7:33 a.m.

Turn three is kind of a throw away as you need to get back to the left for the turn at the top of the hill to kind of ark it to the late apex. You then are on it as you turn in and end up making the turn at the top of the hill part of the strait down the hill. The turn at the bottom of the hill is kind of the same in that you want to try and get all your braking done before you turn in and then hammer the gas through the corner. Do this right and you will catch air coming over the next little rise. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/3/18 9:00 a.m.
BradLTL said:
dean1484 said:

I had the time and put several hours of tuning time in to it after our test the other day.  Then the other day I tuned it jointly with Sauce for another three hours or so using his input as well as mine and got it to where I have it now. 

Ok. So no excuses then right? devil

Unless I am near Air. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/3/18 10:09 a.m.

Hey, you always tune for too little oversteer.  Sometimes a good tap in the rear quarter helps things along...

...your welcome.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/3/18 10:31 a.m.
aircooled said:

Hey, you always tune for too little oversteer.  Sometimes a good tap in the rear quarter helps things along...

...your welcome.

You are mixing me up with Spool.  He likes getting tapped from behind.  laugh

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/4/18 9:18 a.m.

I got a few laps in the 1:24's last night, so getting closer. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/4/18 10:28 a.m.

Yup, I am in the mid-24's also.

Lots of throttle control going on.  That last corner is a LOT easier to see in this game (compared to GT6), but still a bit of a bitch to time to get good speed coming out of it.

Good track to start with.  It's effectively a giant skid pad, wide, and the AI sucks at it (mostly because it's all corners).

I did try the same tune at Sanoma and it works fine (gearing of course would be different).

BTW - turn two is missing the hill and water tower that is in GT6 (mistake or track update?), so no repeat of our Miata race. frown

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/4/18 11:13 a.m.
aircooled said:

Yup, I am in the mid-24's also.

Lots of throttle control going on.  That last corner is a LOT easier to see in this game (compared to GT6), but still a bit of a bitch to time to get good speed coming out of it.

Good track to start with.  It's effectively a giant skid pad, wide, and the AI sucks at it (mostly because it's all corners).

I did try the same tune at Sanoma and it works fine (gearing of course would be different).

BTW - turn two is missing the hill and water tower that is in GT6 (mistake or track update?), so no repeat of our Miata race. frown

One of the all time greatest moments of GRM GT6

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/4/18 12:33 p.m.

For those who are not familiar, the story behind the pic goes something like this:

- I start the race near the front (may have been in the front) and go into turn one a bit hot

- Go wide into the dirt and figure, "oh well, I guess I will drop behind, might was well have some fun"

- Floor it and head for the water tower hill (no idea where the other cars are)

- Hit the hill and Super Air!!!!!

- Stick the landing just at the edge of the track...

- ... just in time for the lead car to appear and BOOM, perfect T-bone!

- We both go to the far fence (I think a few others got caught up in it).

Much levity ensued.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HBZQnEZt4F2GRN1WSG86EwljkO3aT4exv8jjfoQKFI0i24eJzz1Qf2xLtrHYfhbN