1 2 3 4 5
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/4/18 7:44 p.m.

You went in to turn one in the lead. That is me in the orange car in the photo. You got at least the top half of the field. I mean you could not have done that more perfectly if you planed it. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/4/18 7:59 p.m.

Not related at all:

If you have not seen the other thread about Wreckfest... it will be available for PS4, maybe in November... it might be something to check out at some point.  If it's good, work in some races between PC series races.  It looks like wacky fun... I think I might be better at hitting things then Sauce or TJ cheeky

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
7/8/18 11:47 p.m.

I will be pretty part-time with this series.  As it looks right now, I will miss rounds 1,3,6, and 8.  Lots of stuff going on.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
7/9/18 6:34 a.m.
aircooled said:

Not related at all:

If you have not seen the other thread about Wreckfest... it will be available for PS4, maybe in November... it might be something to check out at some point.  If it's good, work in some races between PC series races.  It looks like wacky fun... I think I might be better at hitting things then Sauce or TJ cheeky

Is it coming out on PS4? I thought I read it was PC and XBox. It does look like some good, low pressure fun

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/9/18 3:37 p.m.

Yup, says so right on their website:  http://www.wreckfestgame.com/wreckfest/

Might be a good way to decompress after some high pressure PC2 racing.  Looks like it might be a bit more complete once the PS4 version comes out also.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/9/18 3:39 p.m.

I am curious to see if we will see any drafting effect on Wednesday considering there appears to be a lot of cars doing about the same lap times and it's pretty high speed / wide track.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/9/18 3:48 p.m.

I did a practice race with 31 AIs set at 91/35 and the biggest problem was dealing with lapped traffic. I ended up 2 seconds behind P2 and he was the only AI on the lead lap and I had a far from clean race with several offs. Would've easily lapped him if I stayed on the track the whole time. One of the poor fellows was 2 laps down.

Now I am not worried if Dean can put in 1:22 laps.....the AI's will take him out for me. wink

I guess before Wednesday I need to do a race with the AIs set to whatever we are using for the race to see how they are.

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
7/9/18 4:12 p.m.
BradLTL said:

I’m with you TJ. I’m running 25-26s not sure I’ll find the time to find the time. 

Has “TheLedge” made it to the forums yet?

Rotarian, Spoolyou guys going to join for more than 1 race?

If I can sit still for more than a 1/2 hour without dropping into a coma, sure!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/18 8:23 p.m.

I was only in the 23s sauce got to the 22s. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/9/18 9:04 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That is still damn fast i'll need the AIs help to keep up. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/11/18 8:09 a.m.

I'm a little bummed that I missed out on a Sauce/Dean practice session last night. I was hoping to unlock the secret. I did a few laps this morning and tried some setup changes and it looks like I can get decent times in the first few laps starting on cold tires. Need to test this setup out on a longer stint and with the preheated tires at the start of a race. Looking forward to tonight even if I don't think I'll have the out right pace to be at or near the front.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
7/11/18 8:28 a.m.

I haven’t touched anything in a week and a half, I’m just looking forward to trying to remember what the hell I was doing. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/11/18 8:53 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Mostly just driving around in 4th and 5th gear with the gas pedal floored punctuated by a few spots that require lifting, braking and down shifting.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/11/18 8:57 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Honestly I don't know what the secret is. I've tried a bunch of different things and the net time is always within a few tenths. It seems that changes that improve the feel in one area make the car slower in other sectors. I've probably tried at least 10 setups that all are within 0.4s but how they get there varies quite a bit. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/11/18 9:11 a.m.

Turns 3-5 have to be where I am losing time. I think turn 5, the left hander at the bottom of the little hill is my worst spot. I've tried different lines, I've tried four wheel drifts, I've tried messing with my setup, and I seem to get about the same lap times.

Turns 2 and the last turn remind me of LeMans passing GTE cars in the LMPH cars because the AIs seem to take those so needlessly slow. Not quite the same closing speeds, but those seem to be the spots where the AIs really get in the way.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/11/18 10:16 a.m.

The only tuning I can see will help me (I did some minor tweaks), is improving the smoothness of the transition between on and off throttle.  Being able to hammer the throttle as soon as possible and be able to turn well while doing it seems to be critical. 

If you look at the cones for Turn 5, the line appears to be basically hug the inside of the turn (being on the left curb when leaving the turn).  Which is pretty much required with these cars since you don't want to hit that bump while cornering.  It also means I was clearly not taking the ideal line when we raced this track in GT6 (I never did turn on the driving line help in that game).

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/11/18 10:46 p.m.

Based on tonight and some other previous instances I think bringing back Shunt Points might be in order.  If it's another human the stewards can make a decision for penalty/points swap/whatever, but with the AI the human driver is just hosed.  There will always be first lap shenanigans, but the car leading the race being taken out mid-race by a lapped AI car with no recourse leaves a lot to be desired.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/11/18 11:40 p.m.

@ TJ

I can explain turns 3-7.

The basics are early braking or in some cases just lifting.  You do it way earlier than you would ever think.  May corners I go full power at turn in through and out of the corner.  Also smooth is key!!! These cars like smooth inputs. Turn three and four were the only two I did a bit different. Turn three I trail braked starting at the cone on the right and floated the car all the way to the cone at the late apex on the left (carry as much speed as you can but you hae t make the apex!!! I do this in third then hammer down at the apex and away I go up the hill. This carried much more speed. Going to 2nd seems faster but both sauce and I tried it about ten different ways in 2nd and it was never faster.

You want to late apex three this and not drift wide on exit if you do your speed through turn four and all the way to turn five at the bottom of the hill is compromised. As you approach turn four it is similar to three early lift and float the car to the apex at the cone on the right.   You want to be far left on entry and lift early and sail the car to the cone.  It is a wide decreasing radius approach to the apex.  Just like turn three.  Turn 4 is a late apex you have to be on the gas coming to the cone and with a late apex to get maximum speed down the hill. By the way you are still in third. You now blast down the hill and you stay on the right half of the track.  You are making a strait line from turn 4 to turn 6 apex clipping the apex of turn 5 (the kink in the down hill).  You will bounce off the rev limiter just at the little kink in the down hill (what I call turn 5). Once you bounce off the rev limiter lift and make sure the car is aimed at the apex of turn 6 at the bottom of the hill. You may need to drag the brakes a little here to both slow a little and to start the car rotating.  About a car length before the apex you hammer the glass and sail the car through the corner. The car will stick due to the banking of the corner. You want to car rotating but you don't want to have much if any steering in the car as you come through the corner.  If you put to much wheel into it as you exit the corner you will over steer and you usually end up on way to the left at best adn at worst off track to the left.  Even if you don't go off track you will scrub lots of speed and have a bad approach angle to turn 7 (the little rise before the back strait). What you want to do is keep the car to on the right half of the track coming out of 6 heading to seven and then apex seven at the cone at the top of the rise. The car gets light but it ok as your angle is such that you have plenty of track out to the left. Do all this right and you should be shifting in to fourth about 1.5-2 car lengths before the cone on the right at the little rise.  The whole point of this is you just started the strait away way back at the bottom of the downhill at turn in to turn 6. Instead of starting to accelerate after this corner. I judge how well I do this section by where I hit the rev limiter on the down hill and by where I shift to fourth in relation to the cone at that rise. Get it really good and you will catch air over the rise in T 7 and this is why a proper line over it is so important as you need space going strait to land it.

These cars will fly well at odd angles but they like to land strait.  

That is how I do it. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
7/12/18 6:31 a.m.

Last night was closer racing than I expected. I hate that I couldn’t save the replay. 

In a way, these cars remind me of the Formula Rookie cars. Less and slower inputs are required. Over-correction is not your friend. 

On 1 lap, I wasn’t as fast as really anyone else, but I was hopeful for race pace. When Sauce forgot to go, I jumped from 6th to 3rd behind Dean and Air. On the first 2 laps I felt I was faster than them, but could never quite get a run on them and having to get out of the throttle at awkward moments gave them a bit of a gap. Then Sauce came up to play. He was clearly faster (running 22s to my 25s). So I didn’t fight too hard this early in the race. 

As we clicked off laps it seemed I lost rear grip a bit. My rear tires climbed up to 27psi and the last couple corners required me to be very cautious,probably dropping a second a lap in pace in just those corners. Which was fine since I had a substantial gap to 5th place. With TJ dropping I wasn’t really under and pressure and I wasn’t in a position to make a charge at the front 3.

I lapped cars up to 8th place without incident, but I’m guessing that’s because I wasn’t under pressure and could pick my spots. The AI was really bad at this track, hopefully they’ll improve on others. If we continue to have issues we can look at commiseration points, but I’ve really tried to keep the points simple (mainly for my effort). 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/12/18 6:49 a.m.

I couldn't manage to get a good clean unobstructed lap in qualifying so I didn't get P2, but I was ok with P3. I knew I could get a 1:23 if I got clean air for a lap or two, but it just wasn't to be.

I got a good jump on the start and realized that Sauce didn't, so I let off a bit, then realized he just wasn't moving at all so tried to go off to the left to avoid him, but rear ended him. I ended up mired in a bunch of AIs before turn 1 behind all humans. I was working my way past AI traffic on the first half lap and then saw Keggity off track to the right but coming back quickly. It looked like Headshot was going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I thought if I stayed to track left I could avoid what was coming and get by both of them in the process. Keggity hit Headshot who then ended up directly in front of me, and I nailed him, but somehow mostly kept my momentum and continued on. I don't think things worked out so well for Headshot after getting nailed by two cars in succession. I got past the remaining AI cars and was something close to 10 seconds behind Brad. I think I got up to like 6 or 7 seconds and had an off, Then had another off and retired to the pits because at that point I was having negative fun and if not fun, then what's the point.

Hopefully, next week I'll be more enthused for these cars and actually complete the race. I really had no desire to drive around well away from everyone and ahead of the AIs for 25 more minutes.

I suspect Fuji will be a different scenario AI-wise as with that super long straight we will get eaten up by all the AIs except the Z cars.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/12/18 7:48 a.m.

Brake bias adjustment helps. I would move more to the front when the tires start getting slippery.  On the first couple laps I was running slower as the tires start off way to hot. I can not start really getting on it until about lap three or so.  I never went for a All out fast lap. Slower and steady consistent laps were my plan. 

The dam AI car that got me was a tad annoying. Just stopped on line in front of me coming out of T2. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
7/12/18 9:43 a.m.

Points updated.  Surprise leader in the clubhouse after round 1.  

If anyone has the replay available please send me the file or the link and I'll post it.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/12/18 10:34 a.m.

Weird race.  Sauce was texting at the start, then thought he saw Elvis in turn 2 and went of a few laps in.  I was a bit surprised to be in 2nd and probably able to pass for 1st for the first few laps.  I did not think I would keep up with Dean, but it wasn't that hard (I think I was getting a bit of drafting help?).  It's always easier to follow then lead though (the guy in front does half the driving for you).

I really didn't have, and haven't had much issue with the AI. There were some cases of cars doing rather silly, somewhat scary things but no incidents. Perhaps its because I tend to deal with them rather aggressively?  (see my drivers rating)

I suspect it was heat/pressure in the tires was what I was thinking was tire wear. It wasn't really an issue (car still handled the same, just a bit less grip).

Fuji will definitely be different.  Still a wide track (which is nice) but with two long straights for the Jags to catch up.  The tight section at the end will be horrible if you are in a pack of AI. That large sweeper (T3?) will be an easy (inside) AI passing spot.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/12/18 12:35 p.m.

You should make the colors on the graph match our car colors.  laugh

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
7/12/18 12:56 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

My replay shows that it is 32 minutes long. I have not watched the whole thing or flipped through different cars. Controls on my wheel are mapped funny and do not like PC2s menu controls. I'll take a look at it tonight. How do I send you the file? 

Last nights race on my end was a pretty big E36 M3show. Was taken out by fellow human half way through lap, was a pretty epic crash where I ended up upside down. Got back up to the Ai and fellow human, was taken out by said human again lol. And then nearly every single attempt to pass AI from then on I had an Ai ram me as I passed. I took the wildest of lines through turns to stay clear of the Ai line and they would go off their normal line and hit me. Dean watched the comaro ram me in turn one on one of the laps. I did some late braking, early apexed and then shot out wide on the exit. terrible line, but it should have kept me clear of his path without losing enough time to stay ahead on the exit. Mid turn, turned right into my door. Some of my struggle was my own poor driving, lack of practice and meh setup, was pushing a little to hard trying to get to the front of the Ai pack at times and ended up spinning. 

I can't seem to nail down my setup on this car, I think there are to many variables for me to consider that need to be initially changed to get a decent setup. The other cars we have run I have made only minor changed to couples of aspects (tire pressure, engine brake, gear ratio, and anti roll bars) to get to something I was happy with. Haven't played with spring rates, rear diff ramps etc much. 

If anyone would be so kind as to share their Willow setup I would be eternally grateful. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mVsJps5r8FdhfC8uncQCQpGrXc5W5TxJLiSLJXVlEa0Fe34ibwPrh9VMl1rU46V6