T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/5/18 10:58 a.m.

Keep in mind we had 50 minutes of rain and the track had more standing water than is likely during the race. I expect we'll have 15-20 minutes of rain in the race. It still sucks, but not quite as bad. 

I tried the AT tires in the dry and they don't work so well. That leaves two strategies. No stopper on wets or a one stopper on slicks/AT (or wets).

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
8/5/18 11:57 a.m.

When I setup the series and tested this round, I had trouble as well, but it wasn’t to the point of frustrating. I intended this event to be a mid-series curveball. 

What if we compromise... I’ll set the weather to: Overcast, overcast, light rain. 

That’ll reduce the time and intensity of the rain but should leave a little room for strategy and challenge. 

Agree?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/5/18 1:02 p.m.

If the cars are drivable I am in. As is you can not even get them to go strait. The All Terrain tires helped with that.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/5/18 1:13 p.m.

Seriously. This is a race that Air would propose. laugh

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/5/18 1:45 p.m.

Do they have a heavy fog setting?  That could be interesting. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
8/5/18 1:49 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

What if instead of rain I set it to Dean’s tears? wink

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/5/18 2:48 p.m.

I'm in either way. Maybe just overcast/ light rain?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/5/18 4:10 p.m.

Ice.

Ice and sleet

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/5/18 5:15 p.m.

Air. Have you ever considered professional help?  laugh  wink  

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
8/5/18 6:57 p.m.

I picked up the Carrera and drove it across the country in two days and didn't die.  So I guess I am in for this weeks race.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
8/5/18 7:26 p.m.
BradLTL said:

When I setup the series and tested this round, I had trouble as well, but it wasn’t to the point of frustrating. I intended this event to be a mid-series curveball. 

What if we compromise... I’ll set the weather to: Overcast, overcast, light rain. 

That’ll reduce the time and intensity of the rain but should leave a little room for strategy and challenge. 

Agree?

Works for me, though I might suggest rain instead of light rain.  I don't know if light rain that late in the race will actually do enough to force a strategy other than stay on slicks and be careful the last couple laps.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/5/18 8:36 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Air. Have you ever considered professional help?  laugh  wink  

I

just

sliding

Some did suggest that once..... ONCE...

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/6/18 3:36 p.m.

Did a 30 min race with overcast-overcast-rain. It wasn't too bad. Skipped quali so started last. Took a good bit to catch up to the front. Got into P1 right as the rain started and managed to fend off two jags till the end. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/7/18 10:38 a.m.

So, now two races with overcast-overcast-rain and both times the rain started right at the 15:00 minutes remaining point. I know there is some sort of randomization in the game, so it could be more or less rain in the actual race. I'd be ok if the rain started with about 7-10 minutes remaining.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/8/18 7:19 p.m.

It seems if you put rain in the mix at this track it wants it to start ASAP

sauce and I tested last night. I set it up with four weather slots. Heavy fog/heavy fog and rain/ overcast/heavy fog. It was interesting. It starts to rain ten minutes in to the one hour session and rains for about 25 minutes. It then clears but the track is still really wet. Just as the track starts to get dry enough to start some good laps the fog rolls in. I found that the fog really is much more challenging than I thaught it was going to be. 

If I was hosting I would do four weather slots. Heavy fog/overcast/light fog/heavy fog and rain. Depending on when the rain starts you would have to make a choice of going to rains or if it is late in the session do you try to make it to the end on slicks.  It would be a real challenge.  

Edit:  another challenge would be to swap the first and fourth slots around. Do you gamble on slicks or will the sim gone you 15 min of rain with a drying track for the last 15 min or will it just give you 5-10 min of rain and by the 15 min mark you would be fine on slicks.   

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/8/18 7:24 p.m.

We are having some massive thunder stormed here so my participation is actually really weather related. How ironic is that. LOL. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
8/8/18 7:28 p.m.

Did you have “sync to race” turned on? That removes most of the randomization. It divides the time by slots if that is on (which is how I set it up).

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/8/18 9:59 p.m.

Bailed as the reality of this sim for rain racing sucks. I have done it for real and it is not like this. 

I was just getting more and more frustrated. I don’t do this to get annoyed. I get enough of that in my real life I don’t need a sim for that so I bailed out.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/9/18 6:39 a.m.

I was involved in 5 different car-car incidents that I can remember that each ended with me spinning off the track and or crashing in some violent manner.

. After lap 1 T1 incident, I was only in it for the points as it was already not real fun being dead last way out of contention after a few seconds of a 30 minute race. 

It didn't get much better from that point on. 

From my practice races I knew I wanted to be in front of all AIs when the rain started, but that was not to be. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/9/18 7:49 a.m.

In the end I started loosing control under strait line braking. That was the last straw for me.  I am coming in to the first sector and even with my brake point backed up further than it had ever been in the rain by three car lengths the car would still not stop and or just randomly go out of control.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/9/18 7:55 a.m.

Brad. May I propose that this be considered an experiment that failed and it not be counted in the series as a race?  In GT we would take a mid season brake to try one of Airs questionable ideas. You could apply the same principal to this race.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/9/18 8:44 a.m.

I'm interested to see the replay. I wish I could've saved it, but in a rookie mistake I didn't delete one of the previously saved replays before the race. The no stopper strategy some how didn't seem to work out all that well like it did during the practice races I did.  Perhaps I tried too hard to stay on the track for that chicane and should've used more of the painted surface.

Only 4 races to go. Looking forward to the next series and hoping for something that doesn't drive like a moon buggy.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
8/9/18 9:59 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The guy who rage quit wants the race to not count, and punish the other racers who fought through the challenge?

You should have finished off the last 4 minutes of the race. You may have ended up 2nd. We all made up a bunch of places on the final 2 laps. 

We are going to keep the results. While I agree that rain at that track was painful and not fun, it was only 12 minutes of it. I’m not sure if the bad behavior is related to the cars or the track, but this event was supposed to be a challenge. We’ll return to normal service next week. 

I will try and post the replay tonight. I am curious to see the last couple laps and how TJ, Air and I climbed from 10-12 to 4-6. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
8/9/18 10:10 a.m.
T.J. said:

Only 4 races to go. Looking forward to the next series and hoping for something that doesn't drive like a moon buggy.

The next series will be a mixed class. You’ll be able to pick your favorite car. I’m thinking Group A, but there may be a ringer in the group. I’ll open a discussion thread after the next race to start talking through it. 

Also, the end of series fun run will feature several races of these cars on RallyX courses with penalties and license turned off. devil

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/9/18 10:19 a.m.

The race was pretty wild.  I was worried a bit it would be a dull fest when TJ and I got together at T1 (still not sure what happened there).  We did get Brad involved, so that kept someone else back with us.

In an attempt to make up time, I did get a bit too aggressive and managed to spin a few times (probably got the tires too hot), but, especially after the rain started, it was clear Brad and TJ where having issues also and that allowed us to mix it up a bit in the last 15 min or so.  I am not sure how I got past Brad, but I think it was right before the pit stop.

The rain was pretty extreme, and I think the biggest criticism of model is that puddles are a death patch.  It seems like there are too many of them, in strange places (like EVERY apex), and they have a very serious effect on tires that are supposed to be treaded.  As we saw at Le Mans, they also seem to stick around way too long.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w5nSYyO3LWkDejX9clSjvBeLzPdWUlWxNc38C6ecg3GcsbOUjXdJOh5jxFuWbhQ5