6 7 8 9 10
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/31/18 9:43 a.m.

Oh. I was also thinking that we could run this series again but we would be in the slower cars. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/31/18 9:53 a.m.

@tj

Sauce and I were looking at the sector times ad the AI is killing us in sector two. Both sauce and I were faster than the AI in one and three but sector two I was off by four seconds and sauce by two seconds. I ended up qualifying 9th last night but I was on race trim not a qualifying setup. I think I am going to have to make a qualifying setup as the hard tires need two or three laps to get to temp

Another data point is that after a thirty min race on hard tires the left front was about half gone making the high speed rights challenging. I am wondering if a bit of tire management in the carasell early on could pay off in the end.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/31/18 11:01 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Yeah, sector 2 is where the AI advantage is. They are faster around the carousel and the kink. 

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
12/31/18 12:06 p.m.

The trick is you have to dial out the push in the carousel to allow power early.  That same tune allows the kink to be taken flat.  The car needs to have good 'no lift' turn in at higher speeds.  The low speed turns need to be tuned for mechanical grip balance.  The high speed stuff can be balanced with aero.  The down side is the car is loose in T1.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/31/18 1:00 p.m.

My current setup has me slightly lifting at the kink. I'll try some changes and see if I can improve on sector 2.  I've been trying to maximize T2 and turn last exits to get the most out if the long straights, but have resigned to losing time at the carousel and kink. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
12/31/18 3:56 p.m.

With the curbs at this track causing my car to insta-spin I decided to try a radical setup change to see if I could dial that out.  As of yet I have failed to do that, but the new setup is faster by a large margin.  In race trim I have run a couple of 1:59's, and I'm sure with some more tweaking/qualifying setup 58's are on the table.  That said, I manage to throw in a spin every 3-4 laps and overwork the front left tire pretty badly, so race pace isn't exactly great.  I'll be on tonight probably starting around 8:30 to continue trying to tame the prancing pony if anyone wants to join.

Since not everyone was around for the first series it's worth reposting some tuning links.  The first is the suspension calculator, the second has some good info in the 3rd post in regards to sorting out handling issues, tire pressures for pit stops, and some good links for other reading.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?54023-Project-CARS-2-Suspension-Calculator-v0-96

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58421-Is-there-a-setup-guide-or-a-setup-site-for-Project-Cars-2

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/31/18 5:17 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

I may be on a bit tonight. Almost home from Durham. 

I need to change something because I am both slow and prone to a spin every few laps. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/31/18 7:13 p.m.

I am slow but can keep it on the track. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/1/19 9:45 a.m.

So, I managed to get a couple laps in the 1:59's last night practicing with Sauce. Unfortunately he managed to get one in the 58's.

I did manage a nice string of 6 laps or so where I finally felt like I was in the groove at this track. I wrecked 3 laps in a row before that string and wrecked at the end of it, but it was still encouraging. Trying out some suspension changes this morning.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/1/19 9:46 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I think keeping it on track for 15 laps will be the key to this race for a good finish.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/2/19 9:03 a.m.

I did a practice race last night. Managed to stay on the track for 15 laps. Had a bit of an off at the kink one lap, but didn't spin and lost about a second. Finished 2nd to a fast AI and had 3 AI's bottled up behind me for the entire race. Hopefully I can repeat it tonight. The night before with Sauce, I crashed four times in the 15 laps and finished last in class.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/2/19 5:57 p.m.

I am really not sure I will make it tonight dealing with family things. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/2/19 11:14 p.m.

Cannot wait to see replays. That was interesting tonight.  . Lol. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
1/3/19 10:02 a.m.

I too am looking forward to the replays, that was a crazy race in pretty much every respect. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/3/19 10:14 a.m.

I watched the replay this morning.   

Now I see what happened at the start between Sauce and I and how Dean ended up on his roof. (No idea how he turned back over after 2 minutes.)

No idea how/why the AI was stuck in the pit entrance. Looks like he could've backed up and drove out of there. 

I had a rough time for the first few laps, but managed to crawl back into contention eventually, only to throw it all away with 2 laps to go. 

I'll make a video and get it on the youtubes sometime today.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
1/3/19 2:24 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I think the AI is programmed not to go into reverse. I've seen them get stuck before in similar situations and they pretty much just stay there until they get hit. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/3/19 2:57 p.m.

Round 4 start

The audio sucks. I need to turn my mic up. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/3/19 2:57 p.m.
e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
1/3/19 3:30 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Thanks TJ. The Ferrari is awful off the line and has wheel spin issues. I spin all the way through 2nd and get a little loose going into 3rd so it's hard to stay on it and also hold a straight line. That's actually better than the alternative as when it hooks up well it kicks HARD to the side on the 1-2 shift and keeping your foot in it just puts you into the wall. 

To be competitive off the line I need to actually jump the start a little and same as the last race I failed to do that. More practice starts for next week I guess.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/3/19 4:13 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

I was overly ambitious, but when I saw you moving to the left and dropping out of my view I thought there was a gap that wasn't there. I should've just followed the 2nd place ferrari into T1 and passed them at T3. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/3/19 4:17 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

I couldn't get a good lap in qualli. Kept having traffic issues. Figured I could get a couple places back on the start. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
1/3/19 5:32 p.m.

It’s interesting starting further back and watching the mayhem. I usually can avoid it and tried this time. This time when I dodged a spinning Ferrari I got a windshield full of Dean. At that point my car scooper took effect and removed the traffic from in front of me. 

Later in the race I used it to move a GTR that was on my line in a corner. 

At this point my driver rating is so bad that I would be better off deleting my save and starting over. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/3/19 8:36 p.m.

Great replay TJ!  Also, classic take outs by you and Brad!  Those where straight out of the Burnout games!

I love how Dean's first disruption maneuver of the pack leaders had zero to do his actions (other then going a bit slow), they all took themselves out! Probably why his rating did not take as much of a hit as expected. I think you did miss Dean's perfect take out of the leader near the end of the race that resulted in him blocking the pits.

It was very entertaining to watch the race.  I suspect I might have done good if I actually started, even with my impaired condition, considering the mayhem.  As is probably obvious by now, slamming down most of a martini just before the start of the race is not conducive to increasing your series points!

My mic went out as you guys switched tracks.  I can only hit 195 on that track, so I am going to get seriously "runned over" in that race.

It looks like, if I want to even be in the top 6 for the rest of the series, I should switch cars since they are all fast tracks.  We will see.  I would rather be in a slower fun to drive car, then something spin happy though.

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
1/3/19 9:35 p.m.

I got excited about this, then noticed that it's Playstation only? I'm on PC.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/4/19 8:58 a.m.

In reply to gencollon :

Yeah, we're on PS4's. Always looking for more people to join though. 

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RWaJ6ZZbKUaDQ8yW3eiJnwwUVbBc09kp6xzfCeskDHS6JPnByKwHOvtb68Ba6ow4