1 2 3 4
Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
2/21/19 3:22 p.m.

Last time we ran Snetterton I spent a lot of time mowing grass. This time I had the car well balanced to brake and turn. My issue was running way too low of tire pressures. That caught me out after a decent start. My pressures never got above 24. Mostly I was just driving around with occasional two wheels on dirt slow exit so that TJ could get his 20 seconds.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/21/19 8:17 p.m.

I did some laps at Cadwell. Tricky track. It will be hard to go 30 mistake free minutes. Not many passing opportunities other than waiting for a mistake. 

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
2/23/19 12:47 a.m.

A couple of laps around Cadwell Park and I remember it.  We ran this track on one of the GT3 series.  I remember that the AI was a nightmare.  If you were anywhere close to an AI car at the sharp, uphill, left-right before the jump, the AI would take you out.  Without AI it should be fun.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/23/19 4:51 p.m.

Mrs. T.J. is in Cleveland watching an NBA game, so I should be on tonight for some practicing if anyone cares to join me.

EDIT: I opened a public room with a 2 hr practice session. A couple people came, one even did a couple laps. Then I played around with the time trial mode until I got what I think is a really good time. Time trial has no tire wear and no fuel usage, but it is a good way to play with setup since you start off with the tires and brakes almost up to temperature. This track is intense when you are pushing it.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/24/19 11:32 p.m.

TJ, I tried some of the time trial mode and found it extremely weird.  I was actually faster in the regular mode with full fuel that I was in TT mode with 5l of fuel.  Granted, nothing I've done has been within a second of your TT time, but the TT mode just felt odd.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/25/19 7:48 a.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

T1-T3 are the key to a fast lap for me. Risk vs reward. Took me a lot of tries to get that one lap. Don't think I can repeat it in Qualli. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/25/19 9:13 a.m.

I messed around with GT Sport a bit yesterday. That games looks good, but it doesn't give me any impression of actually driving a car. Not sure why people play it. PC2 certainly has some bugs/quirks, but I like it a lot better. 

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
2/25/19 2:55 p.m.

I don't think that I've opened GT Sport since the week it came out.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/25/19 3:03 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

I had only played it with a controller until yesterday.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/27/19 10:20 p.m.

I watched the replay of the start. I was determined to not false start at all costs, but I still got off the line ok and then I heard some tire squeal and thought I was spinning my rears, so I shifted to 2nd after about 10 feet. Turns out it was not me spinning, but being in the wrong gear hurt my acceleration and that allowed Dean alongside going into T1. I was trying to turn in and was going to hit him so I lifted and that caused me to spin. Didn't touch the grass as I thought. Pure driver error on my part be lifting too abruptly while turning.

Other than that, I figured with the nature of the track I could work my way back to P2 if all went well. That happened on Lap 3 I think and then I checked out for a while and was thinking about work until I came too and pushed a little more, but never gained on Sauce.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/27/19 11:33 p.m.

was a fun race. I was tuning right up to the start of qualifying. Found a little speed in the tune and with some driving style changes. I was pleased as I had not touched the car since the last race

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/28/19 6:24 a.m.

The post about tires I linked to earlier in this thread says the semi-slick tires are modeled after something like Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tires. The Pirelli webpage says these tires are designed to have best performance at 2.2 bar. That is 31.9 psi. If you are running tire pressures lower than this, recommend trying it out. The first time I tried I didn't like it and thought 26 psi was better. But 31.9 psi is better once you adapt to it.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/28/19 7:38 a.m.

I tried it at the higher pressures and if you keep it on the track it is faster but the car is also on a knife edge at the higher pressures. I actually backed off the higher pressures keeping it in the very high 29s or low 30s. This took just enough edge off for me to not crash every third lap. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/28/19 7:40 a.m.

Ohh I tested some cars last night. All in stock form with zero tuning. You all need to try this. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/28/19 10:13 a.m.

Do we have to drive it in "flame red", because "flame red" looks a lot like "Tangerine" and I DON'T drive orange cars!!!!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/28/19 12:07 p.m.

What you cant take the ausomness of the Tangerine? laugh

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/28/19 12:07 p.m.

On a side note there are a ton of color options for the car

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/28/19 4:08 p.m.

Dean, we managed to not make contact in T1, but we sure got pretty close. Maybe there was an inch between us at this point. I watched the replay again to take this pic and I did drop my left rear tire into the grass just before I spun, but based on my steering input I think the car was already oversteering from me lifting off the throttle. Maybe having my engine braking at 2 was not the right choice, but it made the sharp right hander after the S-curves in sector 3 great fun.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/28/19 4:10 p.m.

Mugello short is fairly short, wide and fast, so there will be a lot of laps in 30 minutes and it might result in some good wheel to wheel racing. Did a few laps just to see the track.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/28/19 5:37 p.m.

Things went well for me last night, mostly because I was the only one without a major incident.  TJ kept the delta pretty much flat after his T1 incident which kept some pressure on as any major mistake would let him right back in or even past if it was bad enough.  I had a couple of two-offs where I almost gave it back but the car held on and didn't cost me too much time.  I'm looking forward to a wider track that hopefully won't penalize mistakes quite so much.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/28/19 6:43 p.m.

TJ I did not feel anything so I assumed we did not touch BUT I have had a couple things with Air where I did not feel anything but he said we bumped. 

I got a decent start and was surprised that I was pulling you so much going to turn one as you usually get great starts.  I got beside you and I was thinking to my self "now what do i do" laugh.  I slowed some going into the corner to make sure I was going to leave you room on the exit but all of a sudden you were just gone.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/28/19 6:46 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

We didn't touch. Look at the pic above. That's as close as we got. Notice too in the pic I have my wheel turned pretty far to the left, but we didn't make contact. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/1/19 7:28 a.m.

The last turn at Mugello short is strange and takes some getting used to. Not sure of the best way through it yet, but obviously exit speed is the key.  The bit just before that turn is a place where the track limits will be abused and I expect at some point in the race to see the giant lego blocks spread all over the track. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/2/19 11:26 a.m.

Tire wear can be an issue at Mugello. Up till now it hasn't been much of a factor for me. It is easy to kill the left front.  I haven't done a full 30 min stint yet, but have seen quite a bit of wear in practice. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/3/19 5:24 p.m.

I changed out my G27 brake pedal for the G29 version. Big difference. Not sure if I'll get used to it by Wednesday. What was 100% braking is now like 50% and it takes some pressure to get to 100%. I also ordered a load cell to try that, so figured switching to the G29 was an incremental step towards getting used to that. 

Luckily Mugello only has one hard braking zone. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eOz72DL2ttXnoM1f2ZHWkOARdXqSy7BbNh4G5ATA3CTtqwZzzzA4owlmgYKPqnfc