1 2 3 4
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/24/16 6:35 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: For the princely sum of $35 you get the game and all the DLC.

But if you already have the game and want to get it without the base game it is just $29!!!!!!

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/24/16 6:46 p.m.

Yeah, I'll try and keep DLC tracks out of the series. I still haven't bought a few of them myself.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/25/16 5:22 a.m.

I have all the freebies, but haven't purchased any of the other stuff. I walked from Asetto Corsa because of that "Hey here is a pack and a pack and a pack. You were a Beta Tester and paid us before even having the game, yeah, same price to you too." business model.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
5/25/16 9:24 a.m.

I guess I look at it from an enjoyment per dollar basis. I also do want people who develop content to be able to get paid. If some money can be made developing gaming content then we will continue to see new content and better games. It's worth a few bucks from me to support that. I will support the DLC. I have everything and I don't think I have spent more than $25 since the game came out. That's a couple trips to Starbucks.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/25/16 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Argo1:

So the game is only actually worth $6?

Yeah, but $25 is 3 months of Starbucks for me. I dislike having to pay a subscription service to play a game I own to someone else. I have no problem charging me for DLC, and the reason I don't complain too much about PC is they do give alot of upgrades for free. That is cool.

But I was a pre-purchase before release of Asetto Corsa and they haven't given me jack squat for free. They have actually offered me a few more tracks and cars for more than I paid for the game. That I have a problem with. I put faith this would be a working game and get nothing more than the guy who strolls in and buys it now? Actually he gets off a little cheaper. Tells me to never pre-buy from a little game company ever again. (graphics wise, AC is a little better than PC, but PC is more popular. You really have to look for the differences.)

My only issue with PC is the price difference for the DLC vs the game plus DLC. I will eventually come around and get the DLC pack (probably after the first of the year when all the new tracks and cars come out and the Christmas rush is gone), just because of all the freebies they give me. Just don't expect me to effectively double the cost of the game for it.

I play World of Tanks on occasion. I don't spend money on it. I also don't complaign that I don't have enough Gold to buy the latest and greatest tank. It wouldn't bother me if in the cut screens between matches if they threw up advertising. It is a free game. I like iPhone free apps that show ads or I can pay $3 to remove them. Seems fair! I also don't have cable for the same reason. I am not paying you every month to deliver me 30% advertising.

There is a fine line between saying thank you for buying our product and saying we already have your money berkeley off.

PC seems to be in the former while AC seems to be in the later. I just hope the MBA in Marketing doesn't push PC the other way.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/25/16 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

I'm just happy to have more racers in the series.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/25/16 1:48 p.m.

I've been doing some math...

This whole race strategy thing is for the birds...

I've tested 2 race strategies (mathematically) for tonight. By my calculations, there is a difference of 3.8 seconds to one of those strategies.

Basically it's a crap shoot.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
5/25/16 2:40 p.m.

I've tested zero race strategies. By my calculation, that means I will be making it up as I go.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/25/16 3:05 p.m.

Well, I'm not fast at this track (which is surprising) so I was trying to see if I could strategize my way into a win. It does not appear so.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/25/16 5:43 p.m.

Strategy, we don't need no stinkin' strategies!!!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/26/16 5:22 a.m.

Well that sucked! On to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca!

Laguna Seca Lap Times recorded by a single user using stock setup no tuning.
1:15.764 - RWD P20 LMP2
1:15.821 - Marek RP 219D LMP2
1:16.097 - Alpine A450 LMP2
1:16.379 - Oreca 03 Nissan LMP2

The last time a LMP2 car ran there was in 2009 and they turned around ~1:13.7s. 2008 was the fastest year for the P2 and that was lapping around ~1:12.1 Both of those times were set by Acura ARX-01b

FWIW, the fastest time of the Acura LMP2 car was only 0.021s off of the Audi R10 TDI

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/26/16 8:53 a.m.

Apparently my two compadre's aren't up for a point update yet since we did so horribly.

Let's just say that there were 15 cars and points will be awarded for 13, 14, 15.

We all sucked last night. I sucked the worst, then Argo, then Brad.

We all did really bad. So if you want to jump in, now is the time! You can easily make up the points.

On to Laguna Seca.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/26/16 8:56 a.m.

I knew going in that last night wasn't going to be my best race. My car felt great at Watkins Glen, but I never felt comfortable through the entire first half of the lap at the 'ring. My laps were wildly inconsistent. So, I ran with "Plan B" before we even started the race.

I was exhausted yesterday. I got such terrible sleep the night before that my wife asked if I got a black eye somewhere. Add to that a long day with pre-school graduations, a job interview, and a kids party that night... I was spent before practice started. The experience did give me some (albeit less severe) idea of what real endurance racers go through when trying to drive a car when they are fatigued. It was so hard to concentrate, little distractions keep turning into mistakes on the track and lost time. I'm certainly glad I didn't have to get in a real car last night.

Even with all that I put together a really good lap in qualifying. It was probably the fastest lap I had turned. With that in the bank, I parked and switched to my B strategy. While I could run a reasonable pace, I could not do it for 45 minutes. I decided to give up on ultimate lap speed during the race and run without a pit stop. My testing and calculations were that if I could run 55s for most of the race, I should end up between P6-P8. With my mental fatigue, I wasn't able to hit 55s very often. Most of my laps were in the 58s. As pit stops cycled, I climbed up to P9 but it wasn't high enough and there was too much time left in the race. The positions fell in chunks until I ended up P13. With 12 minutes to go I had a 1 minute lead over Argo and Flight, so I just tried to keep it off the barriers and bring it home.

I think what really made me uncomfortable last night was the braking over the crest into a hairpin. Oh well, done with that track, off to another track where I can brake over a crest and into a hairpin.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/26/16 8:58 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Apparently my two compadre's aren't up for a point update yet since we did so horribly.

Points updated, replay is posted.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
5/26/16 9:41 a.m.

Meh. Forgetable race. Worked up to 5th at one point. Then had a close encounter with Flight as he was recovering from an off. Messed my pace up and then started making mistakes with the bots on my butt. The biggest issue was my "quick" tires only stop. I sat stopped for over 30 seconds wondering why they hadn't finished changing the tires. They hadn't even started because I didn't click the right box! I was just sitting there! Finally realized it and wound up with a pit stop over a minute and a half! Doh!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/26/16 10:00 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL:

Try 3 minute lead over Argo and 5 over Flight. We finished I was 2 laps down and Argo was 1.

I pitted 4 times due to damage after making it up to 3rd. I also set the fastest lap of the race at 1:50.8.

Now if I could have done that 24 more times...

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/26/16 10:35 a.m.

Gonna have to work on consistency for next week. My quick math says we'll be racing around 34-37 laps. That's a lot of drops down the carousel.

Just thinking aloud... Front right tires are going to take a pounding. Running a long strategy likely won't work very well as losing a couple of seconds a lap will put you a lap down quick. It may be a 2 stop race?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/26/16 11:22 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL:

Hey I got the 4 stopper down pat!!!

We gonna stick with the accelerated time or go back to normal?

We could go to X2 on time to match the tire wear.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/26/16 11:26 a.m.

Time progression didn't really faze me at all. Argo complained. What's your opinion?

I only really added it so we could enjoy the environmental effects in the game.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/26/16 5:50 p.m.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/26/16 5:55 p.m.

Honestly the sunset is the last thing I am looking at.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
5/26/16 11:44 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL: Corkscrew.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/27/16 7:13 a.m.
Argo1 wrote: In reply to BradLTL: Corkscrew.

That's what I meant. Did you not see my post about the lack of sleep? Work with me.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/27/16 10:40 a.m.

Ran 5-6 laps this morning. A couple notes:

• I don't have the same braking / turning issues as last week
  • You have to drive a lot more of the pit exit than I expected. A good amount of time can be gained/lost in that process.
  • The corkscrew is ok in these cars, it's the bumps in the next corner that can catch you off-guard.
  • Seeing the apex of the corners at this track is hard with the limited visibility in the cockpit.
  • My first laps were in the 21s, I'm guessing race pace for this group will be in the 17-18s, with qualifying hitting low 16s.
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/27/16 3:01 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL:

Which means I will qualify with a 17, run a race lap in the 11s and finish 15th.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eDux6MIJCDeUKGvJgE0nMoabVmKWHCq6uMBYA1YdLpXYt5SnNcXk1OpKt3KiUhuM