PeteD
PeteD New Reader
10/13/18 5:46 p.m.

Hi all,

Watching the IMSA Petit Le Mans today (and looking ahead to the Rolex 24hr) makes me want to try out a good racing sim.

Can you recommend a good racing sim that has sportscars like the Prototype, GT LeMan, and GT Daytona & tracks like Road Atlanta & Daytona (road course) ?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas!

Thanks,

-- Pete

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/14/18 7:42 a.m.

iRacing is gonna be your best sim for having the track, cars, and realism.  But the price of what’s needed to run this PC game can turn most casual players away.  

On the console, Forza Motorsport 7 has the tracks, and some of the cars, but is a blend of arcade and sim.

Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa have both a PC and console version, and lean more to the sim side.  Limited prototypes, good mix of GT3, GTLM, GTE cars, but no Sebring or Road Atlanta for Project Cars 2.  Not really versed on Assetto Corsa.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/14/18 10:51 a.m.

Come join the group of us playing Project Cars II. The only down side to PC2 for some is it leans much further to the sim side of things. As such the learning curve is very steep. But it is also very rewarding once you get past that.  

We are running on PS4 and at the moment it is not cross platform compatible. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/14/18 1:52 p.m.

Assets Corsa leans heavily towards Europe.  It doesn’t look like it has the tracks.

PeteD
PeteD New Reader
10/14/18 6:41 p.m.

Thanks guys. Google had lead me to iRacing, but I was not aware of Project Cars II or Assets Corsa.

I only have experience with PC-based games until now. Aside from the (obvious) PS4 console, what else would I need to get going with Project Cars II ?

-- Pete

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/14/18 8:53 p.m.

A PS  plus membership ($5 a month) and a wheel (which also could be used for a PC).  A good wheel for PS4 is the Logitech G29 and it goes for about $300 (sometimes going on sale for a fair amount less). Used wheels of course will be less.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
10/14/18 10:25 p.m.

I wish there was a mod that would let you race the new DPi cars. The masochist in me wants to experience the challenge of getting that recalcitrant Mazda RT24 to the front of the grid.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/15/18 2:26 p.m.

Assetto has tons of user made DLC on PC, which is awesome in its own right. 

But i grew up on console platforms, its way easier to hop online and play with friends on consoles imo.  I am back to playing cross platform games (Forza) on my PC now. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/15/18 4:09 p.m.

Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa are also on the XBox One console.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/16/18 8:47 a.m.

GTR2 with the mods and Assetto Corsa

adam525i
adam525i Reader
10/18/18 3:25 p.m.

I just got back into sim racing after a 10 year hiatus and my first download was Rfactor2 after having Rfactor and Sports Car GT in the past. It's not the simplest to get setup and I feel like a lof people have moved on to Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 but I'm having a lot of fun with it. They have a pack of LMP2, LMP3 and GTE cars to purchase and most of the tracks that IMSA visits in North America are available along with many others, the only one that costs money is Sebring (I also have Mosport, Road Atlanta, Road America, VIR, Watkins Glen, Daytona road course, Lime Rock and Mid-Ohio off the top of my head). It may scratch the itch for you as it has for me.

Adam

PeteD
PeteD New Reader
10/21/18 7:50 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
abL28wfcucZhlFjGEamKn2tnUfK9l7vKBeHpIp6v6BsA7JP0qQOYtXIKhmkCJRBp