1 2
Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke Reader
6/15/15 10:43 p.m.

Hey GRM crowd,

Let's race together on iRacing. I do mostly Skippy's, SRF, and RUF.

Add me: Luke Mahan

What series is everyone running?

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
7/13/15 3:27 p.m.

I've been thinking about getting into that or maybe just trying 3 months since it's $15 right now for new memberships. Do you think it would be worth it to go for a few months, or would i know yes or no within the 1 month trial ($6)?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
7/13/15 3:32 p.m.

I need to remember to re-up, I let my membership expire a while back.

It does seem to have a bit of a learning curve so I'd be tempted to go with the three month trial if I were you.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
7/13/15 3:41 p.m.

yeah i was kinda thinking that, it's summer so i tend to be a bit busy now and then and i'd hate to miss half the month, but 3 months would give me plenty of time. i tried it a long time ago in college (a friend had it) but i just drove a solstice around lime rock for a bit. it was fun, but that was years ago and with a non-force feedback wheel, so i don't know how it would feel now. As much as it costs it's probably cheaper than getting a reliable PS3 again to play GT6, or a PS4 and the who-knows how long wait for GT7. Watkins Glen would be cool since i'm close to that track in real life, not that i've driven on it, but it would cost extra. I think I just need to get my feet wet and see if i like it or not first.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/13/15 3:47 p.m.

I haven't logged in in a very long time, like since before the NTM was all in. I'll see if I can update the software later and hop on.

I had run mostly SRF, an MX-5 cup in the mixed series, Riley DP cars, then the Mustang for a whole season but it was a maddening crash berkeley fest every damn time, even in the better splits. My SR went from something like 3.9 in the Riley to barely able to enter anything above noob in a month from dickwads ass-ending me on the last lap in a mad dash for one more spot. It's one of the reasons I stopped bothering. That, and it seemed like every time I'd get a chance to race it was changing over a season so all they had was stupid stuff like Legends cars on a road course.

I'd probably buy the RUF if I get sucked in again because it's the car they should have had first and I've hooned many a 911 in real life. Unless they offered an E36 M3 ;)

Who knows... but I'll fire up the box and tinker a bit.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
7/13/15 8:12 p.m.

ok i got the 3 month trial thingy, i'll do some initial tests after it updates

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
7/14/15 1:57 p.m.

Ok so I did a bunch of practice laps, ran a few practice sessions in the miata. This feels way different than what im used to! Seems like rhe miata noob action is on summit point on the Jefferson circuit. Havent run a race yet but got times into the mid 58's so far. Still a second off pace I think but I have yet to figure out that last corner. If I get it right and carry all the speed down the straight I hit that first corner a little too fast for my current braking point.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
7/22/15 1:35 p.m.

i've only run 2 races and i'm hooked. i tried oval racing because i didn't have any problems keeping the street stock car on the track in practice. i wasn't the fastest in the race but i tried to go no faster than was safe and slowed down when i saw something bad happening, and as a result i didn't crash out of either race and ended up 5th and 3rd i think, just by finishing.

How long does it take to get out of rookie and into the D licence? probably more than 2 races, but my rating went up both times, last race my rating was a little above a couple D guys. i read that it's best to get above the rookie ram fest as quickly as possible and get to people who race a bit cleaner. the last race had what i understand is the stereotypical guy who says "i'm the fastest" (direct quote) but then crashes out himself and others, claiming "you guys are slow" (another direct quote). his rating or whatever was like 1.4 after nearly 200 races

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
7/23/15 2:51 p.m.

got a podium finish today! 2nd place just by qualifying up front and not wrecking out. i didn't go any faster, if anything i went a little slower at first because my tires got too hot last time. no incidents, either. for the most part the others let me go by when i was lapping them or they screwed up really bad and it was an easy pass. one guy passed me early on, did so cleanly, but then spun and wrecked pushing to pass the leader I think. he wrecked himself out instead of wrecking them both out, though, so that's good.

with the tepid response this thread is getting, can i assume there is no GRM (un)official iracing series in the future? I'd be up for it but i only have the noob cars at the moment. also noob skills, and rookie license. every race my safety rating goes up, but it'll still be a while before i get to A or B license i assume (if ever)

still a miata series would be nice, and i wouldn't mind hosting since it's quite cheap.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/24/15 2:55 p.m.

I just haven't been playing much the last couple of months. With divorce/moving/losing the job, I've been focused on other things.

Also the new build, I hate the way the Miata handles now. Yeah previously it was an understeering pig, but they've swung it back to far the other way. And it's tail happy like it has another 50-60hp or something.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
7/24/15 5:49 p.m.

yeah it is pretty tail happy, i just didn't know what it was like before. feels a bit like the rear tires are overheating really bad, except all the time. seems pretty grip-less overall, actually, but i assume that's on purpose. it forces people to slow down and learn car control. don't get those miatas sideways, though, i have like a 95% spin rate once i start sliding.

Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke Reader
7/28/15 2:01 a.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Glad you're hooked on it! I love iRacing, wish I had more time for it. I spend a lot of time feeling out and learning cars in practice before ever racing them. Car control is key to a good SR. I would strongly recommend trying out the formula skip barber or SRF. I've learned so much about car control and weight transfer from those two cars and the racing in those series is phenomenal

Check out http://www.racesetups.com/

Check out 'Empty Box' on youtube. I've learned alot about setup,racecraft and risk management during a race from him

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
7/28/15 9:44 a.m.

I realized last night that I actually didn't let my membership lapse (someone's got autopay turned on, oops) so I guess I should get it going again. I found it more satisfying than GT6, although GT6 is better for a quick game.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
7/28/15 10:27 a.m.

What are you computer specs and internet connection? I have stayed away from Iracing, because I don't have the ideal setup and I don't like the monthly rent.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
7/28/15 10:33 a.m.

I used to play it on a fairly old Dell (something like 7-8 years old by now), haven't tried it on the new machine yet. Even on the old Dell it ran reasonably well, but the graphics card was the limit factor. Given that it was something like an ATI X1600, that wasn't a surprise.

The "monthly rent" - well, I think that's a decision everybody needs to make for themselves. I don't mind it particularly, but then I work for a company that also uses a subscription model for their software and I can see the immediate benefit to the ongoing development and infrastructure.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
7/28/15 4:08 p.m.

I already watch Empty Box! his stuff is awesome. I haven't had time for a race the last couple days, but i've spent most of my race time in practice anyway. Went for a miata race the other day and experienced the T1 wreck. i saw the wreck ahead as did most of the others and slowed down, but someone from the back tried to 'seize the moment' and ended up wrecking everybody else flying through the pack. only 2 cars made it our of there. i restarted, finished 3rd, down a couple laps from the people who made it through the wreck. i was shocked my SR went up after such a wreck! i didn't have any other incidents, though.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
7/28/15 4:42 p.m.

I can also see what you mean about car control and SR, every tire a little too wide is a point, every accident avoided is 4 points i didn't get. Does finishing position even matter in rookie? there's no irating, and unless i'm wrong all it takes to get 'promoted' is a good SR.

helios16v
helios16v New Reader
8/12/15 10:25 a.m.

Correct. All iRating affects in standard licences (R-A) is to determine which race split you get put into. Once you get to A, iRating becomes a factor in the determination of who gets a "Pro" licence issued.

My iR is pretty much in the tanks (1300 or so) because I don't care about a Pro license. I run cars I enjoy driving, regardless if I'm any good (competitively) at them. Well that and I tend to focus on league races. Gets you away from the Timmys when you start racing with the same group week in and week out.

Primary cars: Ford Falcon V8SC (Thursday evening V8 Americas official races), Lotus 79 (CTC series official races), Corvette C6R (AMG league races - multiclass AMG series presented by GSRC on YouTube)

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
7/3/16 12:19 a.m.

Not to alarm anyone, but promo code PR-IMSA2015 just got me 3 months for $5. It's for new accounts, though, not renewals. GRM iracing, anyone?

if you care to pass me a referal, my email is (don't laugh) wecangameifwewantto@gmail.com. yes, it's a ridiculous email. I knew that when I made it. that's why i made it.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
7/3/16 7:46 p.m.

I just picked up a year subscription on steam for $25. The Miata on MRLS was pretty fun. Not quite ready for races yet I don't think.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
7/10/16 12:50 p.m.

Woo! Got my D License!

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
7/10/16 4:36 p.m.

Woo! I still haven't had time to do enough races yet

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
10/23/16 11:38 p.m.

I re-upped after a multi year hiatus. Primarily focused on Road Racing currently MX-5 Cup probably work up to the Cadillac. I can say I really like the current tire models compared to my memory of the old feel. Overall the cars feel much more forgiving than I remember

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
10/24/16 10:45 a.m.

I'm still paid up but not very active. Mostly doing league races with some people I know online.

I know it's a good group, one of the guys made a nastruck livery with the tailgate that looks like there's a deer in the bed

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
11/19/16 8:22 a.m.

I just started iracing last night. Pretty fun it seems, but I have a long way to go before I can actually race. Making 2 decent laps in a row was really tough. I started in the MX5 at Laguna Seca and was gettign frustrated, so I bought Mid Ohio (which I know very well IRL). I started with the MX5 and can drive it decently like my real SM car with slightly different gearing. I found the Cadillac to be a lot more fun though. The Indy Car was fun for a few laps, but the speeds and aero are still odd to me. I had no idea the SRF was so slow!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5GlrSDN9eBskHE9D3nA9Tl6dyn16E23hrmPsmNSx2ZJy8beGMAAKO9U7UckZlwM5