trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
9/19/16 8:50 a.m.

I am thinking about upgrading my Video card, would like to do a Multi-Screen experience, for some of the racing games that I have, just wondering if anybody has done it and what all is involved in the processes?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
9/19/16 9:16 a.m.

For a sim setup you'll really want to use three monitors - two isn't going to cut it. Running three monitors at decent resolution and decent frame rate will require a pretty beefy card (or even two cards) so it'll be a pretty expensive (and most likely noisy) upgrade. That's assuming that you have enough processing power and a big enough power supply.

My ideal setup would be a curved 31"+ widescreen monitor for the center position and two regular monitors that are the same height for the side monitors. That's probably a two-card setup though.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
9/19/16 10:19 a.m.

You don't need multiple video cards - Matrox Triple Head to Go is very popular for racing and flight sims....virtualy no hit in frame rate compared to a single monitor, talking about an ~1 fps loss here from a single GPU on 3 monitors versus 1 monitor...

MATROX TH2G

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
9/19/16 9:24 p.m.

The Matrox looks good for running 3x full HD if your current GPU can handle that. If your centre monitor has a higher resolution than full HD (like my current 27" one does) and you still want two full HD side monitors, you'd be looking at a different setup that may or may not require a second card, or at least a single card that can drive three monitors at the same time at higher than full HD resolution.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
9/20/16 12:54 p.m.

Here is the info on my puter AMD ATHLON II X2 250 Processor 3 GHZ 4 GB Memory64 Bit Windows 10 500GB Hard drive space, upgrading 2Tb Hardrive. I assume I will have to upgrade?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
9/20/16 2:57 p.m.

Triple headed on a good resolution at good FPS is going to take a big card or two decent cards in SLI to get it to work. I am a serious fan of the curved 31' monsters as a single monitor and a single slot card that fits your budget for racing.

I am running the GTX680ti right now and it will push almost anything I need sub 4K, but I will be going GTX1080 soon to push a bit more on three monitors.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tYUTI2VHjF0tIezhpsyJ33tryXzmY4nuIHAGClqbtCtEdeWvGnLSeHWKi1fyzliM