THA_KERNALLL
THA_KERNALLL New Reader
2/22/22 10:29 a.m.

Been wanting to build a sim rig and get into a league or two. Was also thinking about building the the rig myself, but I have no experience with welding :/ Maybe a wooden one will work? I do know the wheel I'm looking at is the Logitech G29 and the Thrustmaster metal shifter. Any help or guidance would be appreciated! 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/22/22 11:25 a.m.

Unless you have materials sitting around $229 Simrig is cheap and easy. I have the logitech setup for my PS4 and Computer and like it. I know that many people like thurstmaster, there are lots of mods you can make on your equipment. I am using a cheap LCD monitor I had laying around, but also have the PS4 VR, not a huge fan of the VR.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/22/22 12:42 p.m.

If you have the room and you are good working with wood, no reason that cannot work.  There really is not a lot of force involved you just need it reasonably rigid.

The main thing you want do of course is tie the wheel, pedals and chair all together.  The basic approach is to make frame rails to mount everything on (2x4 is a good way to to).  What seat you use will affect your approach.  Using an old, adjustable car seat is probably the easiest.  Just make the frame rails as wide as the seat rails and work from there.  Deciding what position / orientation you want everything in can be done by comparing positions to your actual car (or ideal car).

Making it moveable and / or collapsible is going to be a bit more of a challenge if that is a requirement.  Should be lots of examples online.  Here is a good basic start (WAY larger wood than you need, they probably had it laying around)

Diy Racing Simulator Wood - Do It Your Self

This one just needs something to hold the monitor:

DIY Sim Racing Rig - $60 - YouTube

THA_KERNALLL
THA_KERNALLL New Reader
2/22/22 7:17 p.m.

Thanks for the info! I really need to decide on what seat to use. I won't need it to be portable or anything, so weight is no issue. Trigun, what turned you off about the vr? 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/25/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to THA_KERNALLL :

Made me sick lolz If I had the budget I would have 3 curved monitors.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bwmOsygMcG9glMJD04omG6iuErMkbKSItdkG0vxbuotcYgmbXRIFtv8sStfXwWv3