ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/22/17 10:02 a.m.

Looking for a PC racing title that might be helpful from an training standpoint. I have a friend/co-driver that just doesn't grasp the simple things about performance driving. When to downshift. Brake then turn. Let off the gas to tighten your line in a corner. Etc.

In Gran Turismo there were a bunch of license tests that sort of separated out the basics and made you focus on one particular thing at a time. Not that these are amazing, but they are better than sitting someone down in Project Cars and saying "go". That has not worked well.

Are there any PC racing games with something similar?

failboat
failboat UberDork
3/22/17 1:50 p.m.

I believe Live For Speed has these types of tests.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/23/17 7:09 a.m.

Hmmm. Its been a while since I played LFS, but I don't recall it ever having that.

What about the Forza PC options? Forza 6 Apex, Forza Horizons 3?

failboat
failboat UberDork
3/23/17 10:08 a.m.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound vague, LFS definitely has some training lessons similar to what you would find in Gran Turismo License tests. Acceleration/braking, slaloms, on course exercises and scenarios. Not sure if you need a specific game license purchased to unlock them, it has been a few years since I have run the game. Theres also the endless freeplay you can have with the autocross layouts.

I have not played either of the latest Forza games, but all of the Forzas I have played on console never had any sort of training. The closest thing would be the driving line telling you when to brake which is probably more of a crutch than anything.

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/27/17 11:48 a.m.

Doesn't ProjCars or Asetto Corsa's racing line with color change help any at all?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/27/17 12:36 p.m.
Schrödinger's Flight Service wrote: Doesn't ProjCars or Asetto Corsa's racing line with color change help any at all?

Heh, no. I wan't something more capable of holding his hand. Dedicated lessons, one at a time. I had him drive the Evo (very stable in stock form) in Project Cars around a track for 45 minutes and get his lap times down. I checked back in with him and he's going fairly slow and still in constant danger of violently losing control. Not overdriving either. I can't put my finger on it.

I'll look into LFS again. I can't find my S3 code so I may need to purchase a new one :(

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3MUGQmD3dR4mFXQcqPICkE6kb5i5yUluMrhb5QRjhFRc8DOR8UhgFkt2J9eTtpFc