aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/2/20 12:03 p.m.

I don't know how common some of these prices are, but there are some very good prices on some of these. 

If you are not aware of what Steam is, it's basically an online service (that has been around a while and is well respected / trusted), that allows you to buy PC games so that you can download them to any PC you log into you account on.  E.g. they essentially keep the game for you (no disc etc.).  If you don't have a PC, but plan to soon, you can certainly purchase now and use later.

The group that runs Project Cars 2 here is contemplating an eventual jump to PC because the next Project Cars release totally eviscerate what the sim was (making it much more game like), so I am going to pick up AC at least in anticipation (and because it's so cheap).

If you have any personal experience with any of these, please do comment:

Seems like a great deal.  There are lots and lots of additional Tracks and Cars created by users for this.  Driving dynamics are apparently lean heavily sim.

Currently play this on PS4.  Lots of real tracks, good car selection, lots of tuning options, very sim style driving.

Don't know anything about this one, I think it's good?

I have played a version of this on PS4, seems like a rather good rally sim.

This is more goofy fun, and it is goofy and fun.

This is an early release I don't know much about but have seen some of the demos.  Some very interesting physics in it (crazy crash physics).  Probably more goofy then sim, but I am not sure.

The various Need for Speed games also seem to be on sale.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/2/20 12:45 p.m.

I have some experience with some.

I actually haven't installed PCars 2 although I have owned it for a while.  I enjoyed PCars 1, but never tried the multiplayer.  I would love to try either if anyone else ends up picking up for PC.

I have Assetto Corsa, but have only played the single player, which is very meh.  That said, the physics feel good, and everything is customizeable in the game.  In addition to that its a great modding platform, which I will always support.

Dirt Rally 2 is fantastic.  Get the game of the year edition as it really does have like double the content (Tracks & cars).  Its not bullE36 M3 content like 'skins' or garbage that nobody cares about.  There is a thread here with weekly competitions, although it has fizzled a bit during lockdown as I think a lot of us are tied up with other priorities.  The weekly competitions are cross platform, although they aren't wheel to wheel, its more like a normal rally, except with no defined run order.  Just go make your runs whenever you have time.

The physics and gameplay are top notch.  I'd say 9.5 out of 10.

Its not moddable to my understanding, although you can run additional programs with it to get a different HUD, or (more importantly) analyze your tuning setup while you drive - i.e. see how much of your wheel travel you are really using, see actual tire wear, etc.  I haven't tried these, but they look cool.

The menus are both great and terrible.  They are great in the sense that they are easy to navigate with a controller/wheel.  Terrible in the sense that they are not the most intuitive thing.

The website/system for configuring multiplayer stuff, displaying results, etc. gets a 3/10 IMO.  They really phoned it in on that one.

Also note that rFactor2 is available, which is also an excellent modding platform and seems to be well respected in the 'Pro' industry.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/365960/rFactor_2/

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/2/20 12:50 p.m.

Thanks!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/2/20 1:45 p.m.

Thanks for the rFactor update, I missed that one.

One small note about AC:  There are a lot of car models out there (many user made) and you can edit the skins for them (effectively the paint), so if you have some graphic abilities, it seems like its somewhat easy (it looks like the skins are in layered Photoshop files).  If nothing else, it seems like a great way to mess with paint schemes.  Gran Tourismo is very good for this also, but it's PS only and has far few cars models available.

I did check, there are both Corvair (late coupe only) and Kahrmann Ghia (mid 60's coupe) models out there, so I will be messing with those.

If you want to see if your somewhat uncommon car is represented, just do a google search for "assetto corsa (insert name of car)" and it should show up if it's out there.  I suspect the quality of the models will almost certainly vary.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/2/20 2:41 p.m.

I need something along the lines of the Burnout series.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/2/20 2:45 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I need something along the lines of the Burnout series.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1238080/Burnout_Paradise_Remastered/

$5.  I thought about getting it because I enjoyed screwing around with the first one on xbox back in the day.  (just the mode where you try and create an accident that causes the most damage)

I also thought about picking up NFS Underground because the drift mode in that game was silly fun and the HD mod for it is pretty good.  Can't find it anywhere.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/2/20 3:11 p.m.

In the land of silly arcade games, Trackmania is currently free on Epic store:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/trackmania/home

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
7/2/20 5:47 p.m.

I picked up rFactor 2 and AC this morning.  Just need to figure out how I'm going to play them now. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/2/20 6:32 p.m.

Hmm, Rfactor is the one I don't have.  But if people are going that route, I'll snag it too.

It is the the most old-pc friendly game listed.

karussell
karussell New Reader
7/2/20 10:19 p.m.

BeamNG.Drive is brilliant. I bought it when it was in very early stage of development... I think in 2014, for $10. A lot of things have been added since then.

Even if it's still in early access stage, most of the game is complete - so called 'career mode', will be added in the near future, according to the devs.

Most people think BeamNG.Drive is just for crash physics, but it isn't. Every parts of the car is modeled and it's possible to change(or delete) those parts in game. On their blog post devs explain about vehicle creation process, which is an interesting read.

There's also a huge community support, which makes brilliant mods, such as this oldsfullsize mod...

...and Lada Car Pack, which includes bunch of Lada variants and Niva.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/2/20 10:33 p.m.

What's the goal in Beam?

karussell
karussell New Reader
7/2/20 11:34 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

At current state, there's everything(car chase, rallying, autocross, drag racing, city driving with AI, road racing, off-roading...). Even building a completely new car in Automation and importing it is possible.

But, at this moment there is no goal in BeamNG.Drive, other than drag racing leader board or challenges(hypermiling, demolition derby, obstacle race). On Dev blog post they mentioned that in the near future BeamNG.Drive will have career mode similar to Street Legal Racing: Redline - buy a broken car, repair and modify it, and enter a race or sell it.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/3/20 11:09 a.m.

My 12 year old son loves BeamNG.Drive, but to be honest he mostly crashes stuff.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/3/20 11:42 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

My 12 year old son loves BeamNG.Drive, but to be honest he mostly crashes stuff.

That's the vibe I get with it.  That's fun for a min, but I am competitive, so I need an objective built into the game.  Maybe modders will add that functionality.

Racebrick
Racebrick New Reader
2/26/22 3:29 p.m.

I just bought kart kraft, even though it's not actually on sale right now. It's very good.

Our Preferred Partners
9Z5kbPMnUHhzAWOYRd8RjJsNKmLej93XJSA8HN4nT0ApZGaz1Mz5O9S0BWC32D0c