1 2 3
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/30/18 12:40 p.m.

There is only a single race remaining in Series 4. We've had some posts discussing the next season buried in the Series 4 thread, but it seems like it is time to make a separate topic to figure out series 5.

I may be out for series 5 depending on when it takes place since I will be unavailable from the last week of Sept until near the end of Oct, so assuming we start the new series after a couple week break, it looks like I will miss most of it, so I sort of hope we end up with a series like Series 4 where I do not particularly like the car (or class).

So far, it seems like Group A has been discussed. Before the current series there was some mention of Formula C as well.

Post up your ideas and try to convince Brad.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/30/18 1:19 p.m.

So.... the Porsche 917K then?    Basically what we just drove but about 3/4 the weight and 4 times the power.  devil (hey, at least they don't have the /30, which was 1,100 hp!)

We DO have to try these 911's on the a rallyX track after the series to see what happens...  We could try a few other Rally options at that point.  We WILL want to turn off the driver ratings though.

Did we play with street cars?  I think we did and it was not great. Street cars on full size race tracks can be silly sometimes.

NASCAR or the Ausi equivalents are an option that I think tested reasonably well.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/30/18 8:14 p.m.

I want that little front wheel drive thing we tested with the ausi  super cars. That thing was fun. I will have to look through the cars and see what catches my attention. I am assuming Brad will want to run a series since we just did a single make. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/30/18 9:57 p.m.

I think those where the Renault Clio Cup cars.

There are a few GT series we have not messed with also. The concern with the non-spec cars of course is that some are just faster then others (which of course is realistic).

I am of course all in for anything vintage, but we are just finishing up one now.  That 59 Austin-Martin is quite an interesting ride (TJ would probably hate it)

We of course could all just jump into Lambos, use orange liveries, and run into each other....

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/31/18 8:10 a.m.

We may want to stick with single make series and let the AIs run same class. That has worked out well. If we go with an open class, maybe the group could assign cars to each of us to try for a BOP  sauce gets the slowest car and Brad gets the fastest and everyone else in between  

I'll miss most of the next season more than likely, so I'm game for whatever. 

Haven't driven the 917 much, but the 908 is sweet.  

I'll try the Aston. I liked the Watson roadster, so you never know. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/31/18 9:20 a.m.

So, this may be too convoluted to consider, but listen to this idea.

We find a class of cars with at least 5 cars. We all drive them and rank them in our order of preference from best to worst. Then Brad compiles the results and we come up with a list that averages out everyone's preferences, so we have an official list from fastest to slowest.

First race we randomly assign a car, then in following races we do a reverse grid where cars are assigned based on the previous week's finishing order such that first place gets the slowest car, second place gets the next slowest, etc. If someone misses a week, they get assigned the middle of the pack car for the race they come back.

The hard part is that different cars may be better or worse on different tracks and different people may have widely different preferences of cars. If that is the case we could set it up where the lowest finisher from the previous week gets to pick their car for the next week like a draft. Go down the list until we all have a car assigned.

If we did the picks on Fridays it would give everyone a couple days to try out the various cars on the next week's track.

This approach would may help out those who don't spend as much time practicing and working on setups and help those who tend to show up on Wednesday night cold and it may result in a race where one of us beats Sauce.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/31/18 9:26 a.m.

One other idea. Back in the GT5 days Brad always insisted we run with damage turned on and at the time I hated it because I used a controller and crashed at some point in every race. Have we considered doing that in PC2? I think if we selected the appropriate tracks it would be a good thing. No Monaco or Long Beach or Leipzig, but stick to wider tracks with less walls and ones where the AIs won't kill us. I haven't tried driving with damage on to test this out yet, but I will give it a shot to see how it works.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/31/18 12:41 p.m.

I kind of want a FF car for some reason.  That little FF thing we tested I was having a blast with it.  Lift turn and than apply power as needed to slide through the corner.  I don't know how tire temps and tire ware would be doing that but it was lots of fun.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/31/18 12:49 p.m.

TJ

Your idea has merit BUT is way to complicated for me to manage.  My only feer is that Sauce is going to get board with us mear mortals.  

I was thinking that a stock series could be interesting (no tuning) there are setting for this in the room setup.  The trick would be to find cars that in the default settings are not complete plow pigs or want to kill you.   

OOHHHHHH  wait I know how about we all get to pick a car for each event .  The cars have to be run in stock form.  We could also pick the track so as to be able to pair up a car with a track (or not make it a good pairing depending on your mood).  That could be interesting.  I am not sure that I have all the DLC stuff for this game so we would have to make sure that everyone has access to the cars.  We did something like this in GT and it was kind of fun. We got to drive some cars that we would never have otherwise tried.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
9/1/18 8:55 a.m.

Group A was what was discussed, and Sauce already said he wanted to run the slowest car. We ban the GTR as a ringer (but the AI can still run it). The Ford is fast but has a peaky turbo to deal with and the Audi has the weight of the AWD to contend with. I think that sets up well in theory. 

I think switching cars every week gives big advantages to those that don’t have to chase kids around and have the time to practice. Besides, this is the kind of series you have run everything. 

Things I still want to do:

1. A multiclass series with prototypes

2. Formula C or Renault 

3. Clios 

4. Historic cars on the historic variants of the tracks

As far as tracks go for this next series I was thinking of letting everyone pick 1 track, then randomizing the order. You could pick your favorite or the track you think your car would have the biggest advantage, etc.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
9/3/18 2:13 p.m.

Wrenches being thrown...

https://youtu.be/jc7F1vC6_wQ

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/3/18 2:41 p.m.

Looks like a fun DLC. Does it have an official release date? 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/3/18 5:20 p.m.

Needs more Dino, but I understand why it doesn’t.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/3/18 6:13 p.m.

Spec F40 devil

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/3/18 6:24 p.m.

Looks like it will release this month sometime.....

.....HEY, who let the Spool in?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/6/18 10:42 a.m.

I still poke my head in here from time to time, even if I’m not able to join the fun. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/6/18 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon :

There is already an F40 race car in the game. The DLC is for the road version. I would love a spec 333 SP series.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/6/18 3:25 p.m.

I am thinking we may need to do a WEEEE bit of suspension tuning for the Rally 911's

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/6/18 4:24 p.m.

Air, drive the Radbull miata drift car. It shoots flames out of the hood and never has not enough power. 

The Ginetta GT5 car is small front engine RWD, but slow. 

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
9/7/18 7:48 a.m.

Drove the caterham 620R around Watkins Glen last night. I think that could be a fun series. Maybe like last time, us in the caterhams, Ai in a different range of cars. Would need to find a class that is competitive with the 620R as the group "road whatever" that the 620R is in is not competitive. The x-bow and one other car put up somewhat of a fight but even with my poor driving and Ai set to 95 i was able to pull a 30 second lead on P2. Maybe just another class on track to add lap traffic?

The Caterham 620R is not fast on top speed, but has plenty of power and rockets through and out of turns. It is pretty nimble, but also temperamental with how and when you come on power. There's a small margin of error between control and putting it into a wall which makes it a fun challenge.  It would probably be pretty boring on large tracks, but mid size and smaller tracks might make for good competition. 

Whatever is picked I will try to be there each race, probably put down good times in practice, mess up qualifying and then go off track 6 times throughout the actual race. Just the usual.....

If we will have participation issues for the next couple weeks maybe we should hold off starting the next series? Could still do Wednesday night pop up races of random classes/cars but no multi-race series until everyone has the free time again. I didn't get to participate in this last series as much as I had planned, mostly do to lack of time to practice making me unmotivated to jump into the race. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/7/18 11:22 a.m.

Formula Renault would be fun. I tested out about 10 different cars today and these were my favorites. A couple of the vintage Loti were fun as well (49C and 72D), but Formula Renault was more fun. Not crazy fast like Formulas X and A, but they have a good mix of power and grip. More fun than Formula C because those have way more grip than power.

I tried the Caterham and my biggest issue with it was that the two mirrors block way too much of the forward view in the cockpit view. Maybe that could be fixed by moving the seat up/back a bit.

I drove the FWD Megane or Clio or something. It claimed to have 330Hp, but was like riding on a glacier. Way too slow to be fun. (I was testing on Brands Hatch GP circuit). It would be way worse on a larger/wider/more modern track. Quit that one after half a lap.

I did a couple laps in the CanAm Porsche with 1000 Hp. Tricky beast. Don't think I'd really want to do a series with it.

I tried out an LMP2 car and it wasn't as much fun as I was expecting.

I tried a Ferrari challenge car thinking it may be like a slightly faster GT3 car. Didn't like it too much. May just need some setup changes.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/7/18 2:54 p.m.

Formula X and Indy Car (road course) are both fun and fast. For some reason Formula A was harder for me. It would take some getting used to to run these for 30 mins on an old school track. I don't really like Formula C all that much  

LMP1 non hybrid Toyota is fast. I think the open wheelers would make for a better series. 

GTE class seems somewhat balanced looking at weight/hp stats. May be fun series if we want to run a class. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/10/18 9:16 p.m.

I'm pretty much game for whatever.  I haven't driven most of the cars that have been mentioned except the Group A, and those cars are a riot.  I'd still like to test them at more than one lap pace, but I think the differences would produce good racing.

Dean, don't worry about me bailing, I enjoy racing with everyone here and plan to stay.  The last series ended up a bit skewed, but the bias ply slicks and my driving style just work well together.  And I did say before the series was announced that I liked those cars cheeky

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/11/18 3:15 p.m.
aircooled said:

I am thinking we may need to do a WEEEE bit of suspension tuning for the Rally 911's

Hell yes!!!!   I would DD that!!!!

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
9/11/18 8:55 p.m.
T.J. said:

Looks like a fun DLC. Does it have an official release date? 

Available now...

https://www.slightlymadstudios.com/complete-your-ultimate-journey-into-the-heart-of-ferrari-with-the-ferrari-essentials-pack-available-now/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DBJs5uveBn3tnYnmqeQca2jZ8hQw86ySlmPfvDSCmIknPMKmWaugWMr1v5CgN3Z6