4 5 6 7
Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
10/24/18 7:56 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Yeah, I ran the 919.  Qualified great.  Finished terrible.  Put it on auto trans so I could focus on KERS.  It was a coupe though.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/25/18 10:44 a.m.

It seems like the Ferrari from last night was a lot more interesting to drive than the previous one.  Much better stock turn in.

Argo did have an interesting idea for a series, which is effectively an arrive and drive series.  Random car each week that must be tuned during practice.  Qualifying positions are set to random.  We should probably test the random qualifying setting with AI.

Again, with the license restrictions set and the room set to 10 max participants seemed to help with the ass-hattery.  We did have some strange issues wih glitching, which made it rather difficult to determine where some cars where.  Fortunately the glitching cars where kept ghosted for the most part.  I did get a minor punt from a car that was glitching (I think I turned into him at one of the hairpins), but I think that had more to do with not knowing where the car was (if it was there) then getting glitched into.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/25/18 9:13 p.m.

Well the major crash at the start of the race was either glitching or an idiot. My driver rating has dropped almost 200 points thanks to open rooms. I am getting tired of this and would rather go back to bots. 

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
10/26/18 9:56 p.m.

Mayhem Series

This would be my proposal for an upcoming series.  The idea would be to equalize the playing field between those who have time to tune and practice and those who barely show up in time to drive.  This would use some of the things that made for fun racing back in the GT3-4-5-6 days.

1.  Tracks would be scheduled in advance.  Learning the track would be the only advance practice you could do.

2.  Choice of car(s) and weather would be the choice of each week's host.

3.  Hosting (or at least choosing cars/ conditions) would rotate between participants.

4.  No one would know the cars or conditions prior to joining the event (except the host - honor system to not practice)

5.  30 minute practice.  Qualifying set to random.  Three 5 lap races.

Basically, you have 30 minutes to figure out the car.  You could start anywhere and probably will over the course of three races.  No two races would be the same.  The host has to rotate because if it was up to Air we would have 1,000 hp cars on snow each week.  With the tracks scheduled in advance and the hosts on a rotation, cars/ conditions could be picked to suit (or not) the tracks.

I can't believe that I am suggesting something that Air would like...

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
10/26/18 11:05 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

I like it.  There will still be a bias towards those who practice more just from a knowledge standpoint, but that should level the field a bit.  People will probably try their choice in advance to make sure it's viable, but as long as they keep it short and don't tune I don't think it would be an issue.  This would also give us a chance to experience more of the game, and using "spec" cars would reduce the car/class variation.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/27/18 12:57 a.m.

The one thing that will have to be considered when selecting cars is if we have used / tested them before since most will have some sort of tune already.  E.g. selecting the 911 RS would create a race with very little tuning for most.

The track we have to choose a car for will certainly influence the car choice, so we should make sure to have a decent variation of size.  Of course, some idiot could have use racing Indy cars at one of those tiny English tracks.... wait... that could be interesting...

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/27/18 7:38 a.m.

I haven't turned the PS4 on for a while, but I am back home now so will get back into it soon. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
10/27/18 11:46 p.m.
T.J. said:

I haven't turned the PS4 on for a while, but I am back home now so will get back into it soon. 

You haven't missed much except some open room carnage and rallycross cars in the rain at night with no headlights, neither of which do I recommend.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/28/18 3:05 p.m.

Hey, my headlights (and yours) were working just fine until you pile-drived me into that barrier!  smiley

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/28/18 11:45 p.m.

Sauce and I tested the GT1 cars tonight. I really like these. We should run these Wednesday. Slower than the GTO but faster than the cars we were driving last week.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/29/18 7:41 a.m.

We could do an arrive and drive with the GT1 cars. I propose that there be no tuning allowed with the exception of steering ratio. Yes it would have to be the honer system.

We pick a car for each week and fill the field with bots using the rest of the GT1 class.

Sauce and I drove most of the field last night and had lots of fun.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
10/29/18 1:10 p.m.

Yeah, the GT1 cars are a lot of fun.  Not as insane to drive as the GTO cars, but fast enough that you can get ourself into trouble and for the most part you actually have to drive them.  The McLaren is very difficult out of the box, but the rest were fine as arrive and drive cars.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/29/18 5:03 p.m.

Oh and the GT1 cars eat tires. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/31/18 6:58 a.m.

Brad.

What we doing tonight?  I propose something with the GT1 cars if there is not already a plan. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
10/31/18 8:54 a.m.

I'm trick-or-treating with the kids.  Should be set to resume normal programming next week.

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
10/31/18 3:35 p.m.

I won't be on tonight.  I have no excuse.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/31/18 5:25 p.m.

Ya I have candy dispensing duty. I may be around after 9:00. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/31/18 6:22 p.m.

I'm out tonight. Just finished work and I need to pack. Couple days of vacation. Hopefully will be on next week.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
11/6/18 11:37 a.m.

I may open a Touring Car room this evening, licenses TBD. I could use them on for the sake of trying to recover after a couple bad outings, but it's obviously a double edged sword and how my rating dropped in a handful of races in the first place. I'll take requests if anyone else is on. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
11/7/18 4:07 p.m.

Ok. Tuning back in. Things have somewhat settled at work and with family. 

Seems like the 2 popular classes of cars are the Group A and the GT1 cars. I figure we can run 2 short races tonight in each of the classes. The room will be multi class with GA and GT1 classes. We’ll run Group A first, and the GT1. 

15/5/15 Practice, qualifying, race. Track will be Sakitto. 

That work for everyone?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/7/18 4:56 p.m.

During your absence we were running with a set number of laps (usually 5) for the races and that seemed to work well unless you ran into some really big track or a really short one.  I think we were running 15 min practice and a 10 min Qual then a 5 lap race.  I would be good with just getting rid of qualifying do a 15-20 min qualifying and then a 5 lap race.  Keeps the entire cycle very close to half an hour.  Four races / tests should get you right at 2 hours.  Besides this is practice who cars where you qualify.  The point is to be able to get in to as many cars as possible 

Oh will the room be open? 

Will ratings be on? 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/7/18 4:57 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

My rating is a dumpster fire at the moment due to open rooms.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/7/18 4:57 p.m.

T.J. you in tonight?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/9/18 10:54 a.m.

Resetting this thread so it's easier to find since everything got spammed by captain canoe.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/10/18 9:14 a.m.

So any other cars or class of cars anyone likes that we should try?   I like the GT1 cars.  I want to see if there is a ff car out there that we can have fun with. Was it the lupo cup car we tested way back that I thaught was fun?   Basically toss it in to the corner and drive with the throttle and a little correction?  

Have we tested the Australian V8 cars since then.  I am thinking that now that we are more familiar with the game they may be better. 

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CVzaWKl5dj6S9Tf8YZahdOYxUMlnhBH4JcHHO3Atz6j2Oo3nL2zURLSqg1RqqdXK