1 2 3 4 5
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/18 11:49 a.m.

I have been testing at the glen short course with the Ferrari and with some minor tweaking I am in to the 1:19s. I am not having any issues with tire overheating but I have spent a good bit of time tweaking the pressures. Probably old news but these cars like it around 22-23 psi when up to temp.  Makes a huge difference in how they drive and seems to keep overheating to a minimum. For me this puts starting pressures at 18.  I started with the getting up to 27 or even 28 psi and it was way down on grip and would overheat the tires really fast.  

My next thing to look at is maybe moving the brake bias back a little. I am at 50/50 and tinkering with bars and weight a little.  I have not touched the suspension at all other than to set the bump stop to zero. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
3/11/18 11:54 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

You’ll find that managing tires and brakes will become key to turning quick/consistent laps. You’ll have to manage brake vents + bias + pressure to get and keep operating temp. 

We were spoiled a bit by the FR cars. There wasn’t any vents and you hardly used the brakes, so they were always cold. 

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
3/11/18 1:23 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I will PM my email to you.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
3/11/18 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

You know there is a whole sub forum for car projects and builds?

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/11/18 1:50 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Well, you may have found my problem.  I didn't touch tire pressures assuming the default was in the right range, but I think my pressures at the start of the race were 27.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/18 3:13 p.m.

Dropped mine down to 15.34 and it stays around 21. I will probably go up to mid 16 and see where that gets me. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/18 3:20 p.m.

Try this on the Ferrari and see what you think

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/18 3:21 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/18 3:22 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/18 3:22 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/18 3:23 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/18 9:25 p.m.

I added all the packs and now there is a bunch of cars in this class

I hopped in the Porsche and tossed the basic adjustments at it and it is a ton of fun. Not fast but fun. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/11/18 10:16 p.m.

I ran a few sessions this evening and have come to the conclusion that the Z is just a terrible car.  With 1.5 hours of tuning I'm still a full second slower than the Ferrari with Dean's tune*, and the Porsche with my base tune (only changes to steering ratio, brake pressure, and removing bump stops) that didn't even use all of 4th much less 5th was half a second faster on my first lap with warm tires.  The Z also has the worst tire temp issues of any of the cars I've driven.  It drives well for the most part so I'm not sure what to do to remedy both the pace and the tire wear.  Things like the sway bars only changing in 5mm increments make it extremely difficult to fine tune.  Maybe spending an inordinate amount of time on the shocks would get it to be OK, but as of now I don't think that tuning alone can overcome the inherent performance disadvantages relative to the other cars.

*Increase the rear rebound settings a click or two to help settle the car down over the rise.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/12/18 7:04 a.m.

Sounds like the z is the penalty box car. 

I have been testing at the glen short course and big willow And it is interesting that at big willow the Porsche and the Ferrari are about equal. Where as at the glen the Ferrari is faster. I did do all my tuning of the Ferrari at the glen so that may be part of it. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/12/18 7:06 a.m.

Has anyone tried the mustang?  

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
3/12/18 8:43 a.m.

Yea, it was one of my favorites... but I’ve grown concerned because it appears slow from testing and laptime leaderboards. It is the best sounding of the cars. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/13/18 3:38 p.m.

Is there a plan for tonight?  We are having a blizzard at the moment but as long as I have power I am up for somthing.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/14/18 5:12 p.m.

I should be on pretty early tonight.  I am not sure what track, but probably Watkins Glen (since I can't change tracks without changing rooms).  I will set the room up as a 10-15 qualifying and 3-5 lap race (depending on lap times).  This should allow for changing of cars on my part at least a few times an hour.

Clearly there will be a lot of Touring Car testing going on, but I will also load up the Megans, the Clios and the V8 Supercars as options we can test.  We need to do at least one Clio race.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/14/18 5:59 p.m.

Looking forward to it!!!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/14/18 6:06 p.m.

Unless I find something better and with the z being slow and the jag as a ginger I am going with the Ferrari. I did a tone of tuning on it and got it to a pretty good place.  If sauce shows up I hope to work on it some more with him. I also really like the 911 but for me it was slow. I think it is a driving style thing as it is more of a momentum car. It actually drives very similar to the car from the last series in that power on way earlier than you think you can/should with it but it just hooks and goes.  

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
3/14/18 7:00 p.m.

I’ve actually made it home and may join in tonight. We’ll see what the SWMBO says after the boys go to bed. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/15/18 7:33 a.m.

Fun group of different cars last night. Not sure I had a favorite. The Cleo I think would be better at small to mid size track. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
3/15/18 7:56 a.m.

Last night was fun. If I were to rank the cars it would be:

1. Megane
  2. Vintage Touring
  3. Clio Cup
  4. V8 Aussie monsters

The Aussies were fun to play with but I can’t see them being a great series until we all can control them super-consistently. Too much throttle or curb or brake and around you go. 

The Renault was good fun. My only issue with it is that it is most similar to the cars I tend to like to drive.

The Clios are still fun, they’re a little harder to drive on a bigger track. You want to chuck them around, but that usually isn’t the fastest way around the track. 

That leaves the VT-A cars. These are fairly well known quantities at this point.  There’s a fast one, a slow one, and the rest are somewhere between. 

Are there other cars we want to test? GT4s? Group C?

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
3/15/18 10:20 a.m.

Overall, I liked the Megane. That is, when I was finally able to get the wheel to work online. The Aussie V8a were manic. You gotta love things that get wheel spin in 3rd gear!  Might be above our pay grade at this point. Sounded great though.

I would like to see us test the GT4s.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/15/18 12:41 p.m.

I wouldn't throw away the V8 Supercars at this point.  Certainly they are a challenge, but also think of them as a learning opportunity and I suspect we all could grow into them.

The Clios would be great for a tiny track series.  The Vintage Touring certainly make for the most interesting visuals and the variation of the cars makes for some interesting driving dynamics.  I think the Megans are fun, but I would probably find them a bit more frustrating then the Supercars.  The Supercars are a bit more predictably out of control, where the Megans are more of a surprise (but easier to drive within the limits).

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ryYJY9RlqYEHG4WTRFpBbesvw2A3QwBoxxfhqYYE1EZTiNVXDEGUFhXmLwxlG0sH