1 2 3 4
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/27/20 11:11 p.m.

Looks like PC3 is going to suck. I can easily go a PC based game with no issue.  PC3 may still be good for more sprint race type series. I have thought about that a couple times. Instead of the 1 hour races we do two 20 min races. Combined finishing positions determine points. Tie goes to the person with the best combined qualifying position. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/27/20 11:32 p.m.

I don't have an issue with that, but it does remove some options.  I guess the big question will be if it's any improvement over GT Sport.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/28/20 9:13 a.m.

I am torn as on the one hand tuning and tire selection was always part of the fun. The fact that the soft sticky tire is not always the fast tire or even the best driving tire on some cars added a realism that I liked.

The tuning aspect went to far in PC. It drove people away.  Even people that race for real don't touch or adjust the things that you can adjust in PC.  

The driving physics in PC was always good. I would argue that they never got the tire grip levels correct but the physics were very good. 

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
6/28/20 10:38 a.m.

My PC is 9 years old, so I'll have to invest in an upgrade. Maybe I'll try rFactor 2 on it and see what happens. The next issue would be location. It's not near where I can attach the wheel readily. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/28/20 10:59 a.m.

I would have to rig up something for the wheel and screen as well. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/28/20 11:01 a.m.

The system requirement for AC are pretty light (this is minimum, so more than this is likely highly recommended):

• Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM

We don't really need to make any decisions right away.  The only thing pushing that is the rather nice sale on Steam. I will probably pick it up just becaues it' so damn cheap.

Yeah, the dumfounding part about this change is I don't know if there is ANY reason they could not have left all that stuff in the game and made it an option to turn it on!  I read the director of the development (I think it was Bell) has left the company.

The irony of it is they want to make the game more about racing, when in reality, real racing (professional at least) is generally FAR more about strategy and tuning then driving.  I will say though, that is one of the prime reason why it's not that interesting to watch though (at least for me).

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/28/20 12:18 p.m.

I think I am going to add them to my steam account as well. To cheep not to. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/28/20 12:25 p.m.

My latest PC build is so small I am thinking that I may be able to set it up at my tv where I have the ps4. Built it as a LAN party rig as my brothers and I and my son like to game with/against each other. Before the COVID mess we would go to each others house and game. It was lots of fun. All of is on the same team being able to talk and plan has made for some really fun FPS gaming. People have accused us of cheating or having hacked the games. Lol. 

if anyone is thinking of upgrading there PC now   If you can wait a bit we have new CPUs coming out from AMD and GPUs coming from NVidia. Meaning the current crop (that is more than capable) will get that much cheeper. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/28/20 12:37 p.m.
dean1484 said:

My latest PC build is so small I am thinking that I may be able to set it up at my tv where I have the ps4. Built it as a LAN party rig as my brothers and I and my son like to game with/against each other. Before the COVID mess we would go to each others house and game. It was lots of fun. All of is on the same team being able to talk and plan has made for some really fun FPS gaming.

Im jealous.  Haven't been to a lan party since the early 2000s.  Probably 2001/2 in my college dorm is the last one that really counted.

Its damn near impossible to have a lan party with most AAA games anymore anyways as you can't host on a local network :(

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
7/20/20 7:18 a.m.

A new clip from Laguna Seca...

The track and driving look just like PC2.  It looks like they used the existing assets in the new game, and some sparkles to the scenary and called it good.  It shows a bit more of the UI.

I just don't know if I'll be able to get over the disappointment of them cutting the ability to use the Pits.  Even in this video, the car just starts on the main straight.  How is that going to work for a multiplayer race?  Everyone is a ghost until they are ready?

EDIT:

I guess the silver lining with this new video is that it is getting downvoted pretty hard by the community.  All of the top comments are the same as we all have voiced.  Maybe they'll get the message that they are burning their fan base.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/20/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

The fan base is a small niche of people who buy games, so they are going for a wider audience. I get that, but I don't get why not have tire wear, fuel usage, damage, tire changes for those who want them. Old Gran Turismo games had Arcade Mode. This reminds me of that without having the choice to play the game differently. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/20/20 1:07 p.m.

Very nice looking track.  Good visuals.

They should have run it with AI so we could see them do +30 mph down the front straight and mercilessly ram you off the track at any random time!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/21/20 9:33 a.m.

Interesting.  I could not really get a feel for the car physics.  There was no "rotation" in or out of corners only the driver screwing up and getting the car out of shape on corner exit.  You could have told me that was PC2.  I really did not see any difference.  I think PC has screwed the pooch on this one.  Like they are just going for a $$$ grab with a "new" game basically issuing a pruned down version of the one that is already out.   Really dumb.  Makes me think there has to be a bigger picture thing going on here like they need a cash grab now for little if any real investment and have no interest in actually moving the brand forward to actually compete with the more main stream car games/sims out there.  I think that they have a fantastic platform with PC2 that was poised to be something great by refining it and adding content but this is obviously not the case if they are really taking this game in this direction.      

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
7/21/20 12:26 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Interesting.  I could not really get a feel for the car physics.  There was no "rotation" in or out of corners only the driver screwing up and getting the car out of shape on corner exit.  You could have told me that was PC2.  I really did not see any difference.  I think PC has screwed the pooch on this one.  Like they are just going for a $$$ grab with a "new" game basically issuing a pruned down version of the one that is already out.   Really dumb.  Makes me think there has to be a bigger picture thing going on here like they need a cash grab now for little if any real investment and have no interest in actually moving the brand forward to actually compete with the more main stream car games/sims out there.  I think that they have a fantastic platform with PC2 that was poised to be something great by refining it and adding content but this is obviously not the case if they are really taking this game in this direction.      

I thought the exact same thing while watching.  I see absolutely no point to the game compared to what else is on the market and have no intention of buying it.  If they fixed the tire models/curbs to be appropriately forgiving then it will probably have the best physics, but at the cost of literally every other aspect of racing it isn't worth it.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
8/2/20 2:47 p.m.

This article is written as a positive, but...

https://www.pcgamer.com/project-cars-3-is-turning-its-back-on-racing-sim-tradition/

I don't know if I will even bother with it now.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/2/20 7:57 p.m.

The only thing I see that may save it is the on line play.  I can also see them adding a pay to get in game credits to upgrade cars.   

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/2/20 9:02 p.m.

I saw a YouTube review that basically concluded that it's a good car game, but a bad car sim.  He suspected the handling model was made more mushy and there rubber banding in the AI.  He was also VERY confused as to how this is PC3, it should be Grid 2020 or something.

Probably a fun mess around game, but more of a wait till it's in the bargain bin of $6 kind of thing or a PS+ freebie then a $60 feature.

That does bring up an interesting question.  What happens to PS+ for the PS4 when the PS5 comes out.  Does it stop? (killing online of course) Do they stop the monthly games?

I, personally, am not super into jumping into the PS5 anytime soon.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/3/20 12:23 a.m.

I am not keen on purchasing a ps5 either. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/3/20 12:24 a.m.

If they kill ps4 I will have to consider Asseta corsa 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
8/5/20 1:33 p.m.
dean1484 said:

The only thing I see that may save it is the on line play.  I can also see them adding a pay to get in game credits to upgrade cars.   

Fun fact, there is no online play at launch.  There are also tons of unanswered questions about that too given that there are no pits.  If you are in a multiplayer qualifying does everyone start at the same time?  If so how are cars ordered?  Do you have to wait for everyone to be ready or can you just go when you are?  If the latter how do cars enter?  Do they appear mid-track in front of someone on a hot lap?  If so I would assume that they're ghosted, but still appearing in front of someone nonetheless and may ruin their lap.  If tuning is allowed and you jump out to change something do you reenterthe same way?

To avoid the ghosting/appearing mid-track it would be great if you could start somewhere off the racing surface and be able to go on track when it's clear.  Something like, I don't know, a pit lane?

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
8/25/20 10:25 a.m.
BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
8/25/20 10:32 a.m.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
8/25/20 9:55 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/26/20 12:14 p.m.

But... they DID fix the tire wear in the pits bug... 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/31/20 6:08 p.m.

Just going to leave this here. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kVeVxmcKj0LT5tCyqfHzTaAQlGQmRXbvwlGjiqxoheLbvvqt73rdHv8SDk3Oqgde