1 2 3
BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/19/16 9:07 a.m.

Flight had a mostly successful debut in the series. He set the pole time and was surprisingly fast with a controller. His 35.9 race lap is just damned impressive.

Despite that, he apparently suffers from lack of confidence or premature issues.. as he jumped the start and gave himself and extra second head start. The stewards have decided to impose only a warning as this was an exhibition event and by running out of gas, he managed to penalize himself.

All kidding aside, having another racer is going to make this series a lot more interesting. Also, he's fast and will make Argo work for his points.

Flight's Up&Down debut race replay

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/19/16 10:21 a.m.

What ever the settings were last night for the race, My car was completely different than how I practiced. Brakes locked up sooner but the car stuck better. I was able to put power down in turns 8 & 9 which I couldn't playing at home.

I qualified with 1:37 but put down in race trim two 1:35s. I told you guys my consistency is bad.

Maybe I should invest in a wheel.... Remember, I Ricky Bobby Project Cars. I either win or destroy my car trying to win. After I spun myself trying to run down the guy who passed me and then pirouetted a few times getting into the pits I was driving like a pissed off teenager.

If you ain't first, you're last. That there is trademarked, not to be used without written permission of FlightService, Inc.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/19/16 10:25 a.m.

Check the date of your practice sessions. Last night we raced on August 9th and the temp was 109F. Temp has a big effect on the cars performance.

For the actual series, I'm going to use the actual date. So, we'll likely have widely different temps each race.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/19/16 10:31 a.m.
BradLTL wrote: he jumped the start and gave himself and extra second head start.

Anyone ever told you that you have the reaction time of a geriatric playing Jeopardy?

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/19/16 10:34 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:
BradLTL wrote: he jumped the start and gave himself and extra second head start.
Anyone ever told you that you have the reaction time of a geriatric playing Jeopardy?

I don't know what you are talking about...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/19/16 11:05 a.m.

What temps do you like to keep your tire at?

Mine stayed between 195-235 on all 4 all race

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/19/16 11:07 a.m.

Mine were in the 235ish range, so pretty close to your temps. The other thing to watch it brake temps. If they get cold you'll lock up like crazy. I keep my brake duct at around 24% to keep heat in them, and then tune the balance to maximize performance. In the LMP2 cars, that meant dialing towards the back a good bit.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/19/16 11:13 a.m.

I keep a close watch at my front temps, but I adjust to balance the brakes to the car in the corner to tune how much tail wiggle I want.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
5/20/16 12:32 a.m.
BradLTL wrote: In reply to Argo1: I was irritated when you made contact passing me, causing me to high center a curb and eat the barrier. Then I watched my replay and realized you were actually a lap down, and that really ticked me off. And then I watched your replay and realized it was nothing personal, you were bouncing off EVERYTHING last night. Care to explain the epic meltdown that was you race?

Regarding our contact, you had an off in that corner and were re-entering the track. At my closing speed, not passing you wasn't an option so it wasn't "an ill advised pass by a lapped car". I did not know what car it was. A human? A bot? Probably a bot. A bot would continue on its current course to the inside line of the corner. I set up to pass on the outside. You held up on the outside. I had to quickly adjust my line to pass on the inside. So there was a bump.

I hit lots of stuff during the race, mostly barriers. I was bumped off on the first turn of lap one. I lost it trying to re-enter the track and hit the wall. That messed up something in the chassis. From then on, when I used the brakes the car would dart to one side. I got caught out several times by this including the last turn of the last lap. No chance to recover my race. Not a fun race.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/20/16 8:15 a.m.

It seems everyone had some form of braking issues in the race. I know in the practice, my brakes didn't feel right and I actually changed my setup and moved the bias 2 click forward, but I still managed to lock up the rears on the first lap.

It's the first time I've noticed any significant change from practice to race... we'll probably need to keep an eye on it.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
5/20/16 8:47 a.m.

From what I've read, optimum tire temp is 170 - 210. I adjusted pressures to keep close to that range. I noticed that my tire wear was a lot less than your cars. My LF was worn about 20% and the others about 15%. Maybe the pressure was the difference. Or maybe it was because I spent a lot of time parked in a barrier. Brakes should be around 700 - 900, again from what I've read. I had my ducts set at 65% and they were still over 1000.

We should probably kill this thread and move over to the Series 2 thread.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/23/16 6:39 a.m.

If my tires go below 180 they aren't worth having

On the grid tires are at 190 and brakes are at 1250

Ring GP is very hard to set up for. I can't get the thing to turn in and there are two corners that it just won't keep from spinning the tires with any throttle.

Grrrr. More practice needed

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AuZ0pmekl7jzFIh8TbhPHDZ6A8ZBW6FyFYXxRCnW1TfqVIyh6lzJyGhS5l5imh01