1 2 3
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/18/18 1:54 p.m.

I did 3 or 4 laps last night and called it quits. I was too tired.

I haven't really done a long stint in any car to get a feel for how many laps between stops or whether fuel or tire wear is the limiting factor.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/19/18 7:48 a.m.

I did a full race last night. I ended up doing 4 stops, but I think 3 (or maybe even 2) may be better. I did an extra stop at nightfall just to get new front bodywork so I would have headlights. I never got really low on fuel or had any significant tire degradation. 

My biggest takeaway is to not be in a hurry to take the wets off and go back to slicks. 

Are we going to stick with a 12:00 start time? IRL they start at 3:00 I think.   

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
6/19/18 7:54 a.m.

I'll change the start time.

I think there are only 2 people registered so far.  Argo is likely out, Sauce is tentative at best.  How many others are planning on racing?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/19/18 8:31 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

I am planning on it.

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
6/19/18 8:33 a.m.

Im in. Just still deciding on a car. Ended up watching a movie instead of practicing yesterday. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/19/18 10:42 a.m.

The other thing I learned, is that unlike the real drivers, I have no where close to the skill to go flat out for hours. My race pace is way off my qualifying times.  I think my fastest race lap was the last one, because I was pushing it a bit so I could go get some sleep. Also, as an FYI, I think the LMP cars did 38 laps and the GTE cars did around 34. This seems to match up fairly well with what Brad posted in the other thread (37-39 laps for LMP cars).

I love blinking my lights at cars as I overtake them even though I don't suspect that the AIs respond differently one way or the other.

Also, night time after the rain stops, it is bright enough to not be too bad if you do not have any headlights. I didn't try rain/night laps with the lights off to see how that was.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/19/18 11:09 a.m.

I should be available for Sunday.  I have not tried any cars, so I will likely pick after Wednesday.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/20/18 6:16 a.m.

Do lights come automatically?  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/20/18 7:50 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

No. I have a button assigned to turn them on/off. Same deal for wipers, but they only matter if you use the cockpit view. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/20/18 9:48 a.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to dean1484 :

No. I have a button assigned to turn them on/off. Same deal for wipers, but they only matter if you use the cockpit view. 

I don't think I have a button assigned but had headlights, though it was only once I pitted and was repaired.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/20/18 9:56 a.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

Oh, maybe they come on automatically then. I don't know. I just turn them on when I need them.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/20/18 10:01 a.m.

Looking at the leaderboards, it seems of LMP1 hybrid cars the Porsche is the fastest then the Toyota then the Audi.

Of the GTE cars, it looks like the RSR is the fastest, the Corvette, Aston Martin and the Ferrari are a couple seconds behind, then the BMW is another couple seconds slower than those three.

I am no where near the record times in any of them though, so it's not really relevant to me. Looking for the one that is easiest to be consistent with.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/21/18 10:41 a.m.

Looks like I claimed the second Toyota.  I have no real plan.  I will drive until fuel gets low, then add fuel.  Drive until tires wear out or it rains, then change tires.  The testing did reveal that in general, leave the rain tires on as long as possible (those puddles are deadly).

Brad, if you get a chance, post the car selections, since I don't remember which # I have (I think it's 5?)

Essentially my plan for Sunday:

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
6/21/18 12:13 p.m.
aircooled said:

Brad, if you get a chance, post the car selections, since I don't remember which # I have (I think it's 5?)

I'm trying to keep it a secret.  Adds to the strategy, mystery... or something.  I'll post them the morning of... if you are not registered, you will not be guaranteed a spot.  Currently there are 4 registered racers, and several others that are intending to race but have not committed yet.

You did claim the #5.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/21/18 1:15 p.m.

A little bummed I couldn't do more than a couple laps last night. Started to rain on my out lap, so I pitted for wets, then made it around to the Ford chicanes and had to leave, so didn't even get to put a timed lap in.

Not much drop off between hards in the dry and wets in light rain in terms of laptimes I don't think. Wanted to see if that matched up with you guys or if I am just really slow in the dry.

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
6/21/18 8:10 p.m.

I should be able to make the race.  I've missed all the practice sessions but I did register with a car that is well above my pay grade.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/22/18 12:53 p.m.

I can confirm that at least in one car, a three stopper is easily doable. Stopped for wets, then later got a new set and some gas, then eventually when my tank got down to 4L left, I stopped and put on hards for the last 25 minutes or so. The Mulsanne lake still caused me trouble nearly to the end of the race once I put on slicks.

If it wasn't for Mulsanne corner remaining a lake for so long after the rain stops, slicks would be a better option. There is also a little puddling near the exit of the Porsche curves that will throw you into a wall if you hit it. That one stays around for a while too. The other one I've encountered is the s turn between Dunlop and  Tertre Rouge...I like to call that McNish, but not sure if it has a name. Either way on the left hander, a puddle forms at the apex. Better to compromise by going around it eventhough it hurts the exit speed of the following right hander. At least that's how it works for me.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
6/23/18 7:07 p.m.

I'm definitely out.  Today wasn't too hot and had a nice breeze and I'm still beat, after another hotter day there's no way I could pull myself together enough to not just be one 2.4 hour long wreck.  I'll be interested to see the highlights and who drives what.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/23/18 10:25 p.m.

I am going to run what ever I was running. I think I can make it on two stops if I can carry the slicks far enough in to the rain. I should get 13 laps per tank so I will run 12 that should net me 36 laps

i agree with Air you need rains much longer than I may have fuel for.  

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
6/24/18 4:29 p.m.

Here’s the registration so far...

T.J.    Toyota TS050 #6
Brad    Audi R18 #7
Allaircooled    Toyota TS050 #5
Argo1    Porsche 919 #1
Andrew/headshot    Porsche 911 #91

I assume Dean is running and I’m holding out a 20% chance on Sauce deciding he can’t miss out. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/24/18 4:34 p.m.

So I damaged my left foot today. I will start the race for sure but we will see how I do. 

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
6/24/18 5:18 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Left foot is brakes.  You don't need no stinkin' brakes.

BatsonWorkshop
BatsonWorkshop New Reader
6/24/18 6:13 p.m.

So if im the only one in GTE i think i could win the class. So long as i can keep my car pointing the right direction in the wet......which is asking a lot from what i found in a practice race last night

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
6/24/18 6:26 p.m.
BatsonWorkshop said:

So if im the only one in GTE i think i could win the class. So long as i can keep my car pointing the right direction in the wet......which is asking a lot from what i found in a practice race last night

I don’t think you are getting off that easy. I believe Dean is planning on running GTE as well. He was running an Aston on Wednesday night. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/24/18 6:37 p.m.

How about qualification weather?  Same 4 slots as the race or will it stay dry?  I'll be on before the race but will miss the beginning of qualifying it looks like. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BlvCKqlQ9W0aINBnyH8lPVCMV902OAfw58MKsWaK3qXAU6juCw38ZZ5I0nJDAFqU