AaronT
AaronT Reader
2/17/21 8:45 a.m.

https://www.thetrackavl.com/

This place just opened near me and I went last night to check it out. I've never driven a sim before so it was a good way to dip my toe. It was pretty darn challenging. I've been thinking about buying a sim rig but I'm space challenged right now and sim gear is at a premium. It was also nice to leave the house. 

Would anyone here pay to drive at sim business? I think the owner is envisioning a social hub for the local motorsports enthusiasts. We have no tracks in the area so I guess all of us car nuts just do our own thing. 

The owner's car is pretty cool too.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/17/21 8:48 a.m.

I've always thought this idea had some potential.  You can drink while you sim-race too :)

AaronT
AaronT Reader
2/17/21 8:59 a.m.

They are selling beer! You may be able to drink and sim but I was perfectly capable of throwing away lap after lap on turn 9 at PIR sprint layout without any substances, lol.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/17/21 9:42 a.m.

Do you know what game they are using?

I have a entry level sim setup @ home (decent computer, G920, widescreen).  I would not go on my own and pay.  With a group of friends with actual races scheduled (not just screwing around)?  Sure.  Seems like a great place to host small parties, enduro events, etc.

I will make a note to drop by next time I am in town.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/17/21 9:48 a.m.

The only ones I've tried have been in public places. Crappy old  technology arcade machines, mostly.

I've also tried a few higher quality rigs at a tech event at the Orlando Science Center, including one that enclosed two seats and a single set of controls within a big ball shaped hydraulic housing that served to simulate the g forces from acceleration, braking and turning.

None of them were close enough to real driving to really give me an advantage as an experienced autocrosser.

I'd still like to take up sim racing, but have the same limitations. Lack of space, lack of funds.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
2/17/21 10:32 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

They are using rFactor 2.

Half of the rigs they have are using Fanatec DD1 bases with load cell pedals. I used the cheaper rig with a thrustmaster wheel last night but I'll try out the Fanatec next time. 

Let me know when you're in town and I'll join you. 

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
3/10/21 5:27 p.m.

Joel and his team have a very unique product in town and I was lucky enough to help him beta test race sessions.  The Fanatec rigs are a more immersive experience than the Thrustmaster. I'm hoping his leagues catch on, as well as his endurance events.  I really wish him the best!  There may not be tracks locally*, but check out http://www.hscc.club for local autocross events (The Track at Asheville is a sponsor this year).

*within 2 hours.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
3/11/21 8:36 p.m.

I'm hooked, I've gone several times a week since I started the thread. 

I'm excited for the league races to start!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/15/21 2:40 p.m.

That looks really cool!!!  I could see it becoming a social club type things.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/15/21 5:18 p.m.

They had nascar silicon valley at the mall for a long time. That was fun. I'd do it again. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ecCTqzmri80VxFaQM9vdqvpv55yFIK5T8nnUg6ouWB36qQXuqOYk2puf6o2150Cw