T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/26/18 8:19 p.m.

So, I;ve had a G27 for something like 5 or 6 years and never used it. I decided last night that I am going to put together a cobbled together sim rig. Since the G27 is no bueno with the PS4, I'm thinking I will set it up with my PS3 at first and then get a new wheel so I can play PS4 games on it later. I read that the G27 shift works with the G29, so I'll probably go that route and re-use my shifter.

My goal is to construct the entire thing out of things I have in my garage. and house. I have the rough idea worked out, but am wondering where do folks put their PS3/4? I want to have a cockpit that is self contained with just a power cord to plug in for the times I need to move it. I am going to steal the 32" TV from the guest room for the project and the thing will either live in the guest room or in the garage depending.

I have a similar question concerning the sound. I realize as long as I am using a TV I will have that sound, but what if I want to step it up a bit? It would be harder to not break my rule and have to buy something if I want a dedicated oin board sound system, but I can sure design in a place for it even if I don't get it right away.

So, if you have your PS, XBOX or PC located in your sim rig somewhere, where is it located?

If you have some sort of dedicated sound system/speakers in your rig, what are you using? I seem to remember Nick  installed some shaker things under his seat.

Thanks.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/26/18 8:45 p.m.

I don't have mine located in the rig, but if I did, it would be above my feet/behind my monitor.  That's the most logical space.  A PS3/4/Xbox/whatever would fit there easily, and there is no airflow restriction.  As a bonus, its close to the monitor which means the video cable routing is simple.

Only shot I have which shows this area:  

From the other end:

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/26/18 9:13 p.m.

That is basically where I was thinking of putting it. It could also go vertically along the side. I made a bit of a mock up tonight to try to get some measurements on where I want things in relation to each other. Unfortunately for me, I am fresh out of 2x4s, so  the build is going to be almost all plywood pieces from my old entertainment center.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/26/18 9:14 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Is your shelf that the wheel mounts to adjustable?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/26/18 9:24 p.m.

Not easily.  You can just back two of the screws out and tilt it, or all 4 and reposition it then just run them back it.  We made it like that because we didn't know where we wanted it until we tried a few positions.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/27/18 9:43 a.m.

I would put it right under the wheel area, or perhaps directly behind it, like gauges on a dashboard. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/1/18 10:35 p.m.

I have things mostly together, at least good enough for the first test drive. I had a brief scare when I realized the AC adaptor for the wheel was MIA. I luckily found the adapter. I've had the wheel for 6 years or so but never used it until tonight. Wow is all I can say. What a difference using a wheel makes.  I'll definitely have to get a G29 so I can switch out the PS3 for the PS4. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/2/18 7:42 a.m.

IIRC you can get an adapter so you don't have to buy a whole new wheel.  Certain wheels only working with certain consoles is a huge scam IMO.

*cough* Play with a PC an you'll never have that problem /pcmasterrace

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/2/18 8:55 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

/pcmasterrace sounds like something straight out of 1940's Germany....those redditors have a sense of humor - I'll give them that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rJD1o7MnuoDNf5TEzkmW7CvJYhEwLcSNPdR6vnEAG7v3yUOvSkUajGfHcTicSaAG