1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/17/14 9:38 a.m.

The game is addictive. Just 5 more minutes can turn in to 2 hours. There are so many different ways to play the game. And even when you think you know where you are going with your caricature you can very easily end up going a completely different direction just because of the options that are presented to you.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
1/17/14 10:34 a.m.

I do, but I haven't in weeks. Awesome game and I totally understand the "just let me finish this dungeon" turns into an entire day down the drain.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
1/17/14 10:43 a.m.

I had to stop.... I hoard too many things.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
1/17/14 11:01 a.m.

I don't think any other game has kept my attention for so long. I've been playing the damn thing since it came out. I got the wife into it as well (thank god, or I'd be in the doghouse). That said, it's my favorite type of game - open world, mucho character customization, choices affect state of said world, etc. Being an old D&D geek, I'm somewhat partial to the fantasy genre as well.

About hoarding things - yeah, it's bad. I spend an inordinate amount of time selling, sorting, and stashing items after a quest run. It gets kinda ridiculous. Michelle makes me do that for her character, because it drives her crazy. If I was this OCD about my real life, I might be a fair amount wealthier or at least more organized.

Anybody got the decapitation upgrade for their weapon of choice? It's fun.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
1/17/14 11:42 a.m.

My son's been enjoying it, especially the hoarding of stuff, but he does that in Minecraft too.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/17/14 11:55 a.m.

I used to play it big time. I never did actually finish the game, I think the only elder scrolls game I finished completely was Oblivion. I didn't even do the main quest at all in Morrowind, I just stole stuff and axed people.

+1 to hoarding stuff, same goes for minecraft (which I play now far more than any non-racing game).

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
1/17/14 11:58 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I had to stop.... I hoard too many things.

Is that a bad thing? I've got Skyrim somewhere and turned it on one time. I played Oblivion quite a lot and before I bought a house I used to pile stuff up in different places in the woods to haul in and sell or prepare for use. I got rich quick and bought a house to pile it in, lol. Anyway, hoarding worked for me in that game.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/17/14 3:20 p.m.

I didn't buy Skyrim but I did buy Oblivion. I really wanted to love it, and I enjoyed playing, but there was a fatal flaw in the control system: On the PS3, the reverse-look function was mapped to the R3 button (push down axially on the right joystick, into the controller).

This was not changeable, which meant that as soon as an enemy got close and I was in melee, every time I moved that joystick even a little, it would make me do an instant about-face and turn my back. So I got my ass handed to me by every lame-o wolf or chud or killer rabbit I encountered, because I couldn't see it or attack it when I was snapping about-faces like an insane club dancer.

Try as much as I could, I just could NOT hold the controller loosely enough to stop that from happening as soon as it got even the slightest bit tense. Ruined what should have been a great game.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
1/17/14 3:56 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote:
mndsm wrote: I had to stop.... I hoard too many things.
Is that a bad thing? I've got Skyrim somewhere and turned it on one time. I played Oblivion quite a lot and before I bought a house I used to pile stuff up in different places in the woods to haul in and sell or prepare for use. I got rich quick and bought a house to pile it in, lol. Anyway, hoarding worked for me in that game.

Yeah, but when you have like 150 daggers and other garbage like that... it gets silly.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/17/14 6:41 p.m.

I remember in morrowind I was hella cheating and had so much in my inventory (strength set to 10,000) that it took 30 seconds for it to load every time I wanted to access it.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
1/17/14 9:31 p.m.

I played the crap out of it when it first came out. I spent far more time than I should have playing the game. I have apretty sweet wood elf (no cheat) that is about as conflicted as could possibly be in the game. I sided with the emperor in the fright against the nords and then was going down the path to assassinate him. Never really bothered chasing the dragons though, I think I only did a couple of the main story quests.

Maybe its time to dust it off and spend some time on it.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
1/17/14 9:31 p.m.

Typos = auto complete

Cody_D
Cody_D New Reader
1/18/14 6:18 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: Maybe its time to dust it off and spend some time on it.

Ya, every time someone mentions it in passing I spend another night playing it

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
1/18/14 7:28 p.m.

Haven't played Skyrim on the Xbox in a while. May have to dust it off and get going again :)

corytate
corytate SuperDork
1/18/14 9:53 p.m.

I need to dust it off and get back into it again, I played morrowind and oblivion and imo skyrim is even better than both of them combined

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
1/21/14 10:16 a.m.

Morrowind was awesome. Definitely one of my favorite games. Really interesting story, unique environment, weird monsters to fight. Like any other game of its era, it looks terribly dated at this point. I'm hoping they do a modern reboot, but with Elder Scrolls online coming out I doubt it.

I kind liked Oblivion, then kinda didn't. It was just too repetitive with the hellscapes and there were a few other issues. Skyrim blows it away on every level imho.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
1/21/14 11:23 a.m.

I did, still have it. If I actually saw the version with all the DLCs for 30 bucks at walmart I might buy it and have two copies, since it would still be cheaper than buying the dlcs off the PS store.

I always ended up making strange characters.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
1/21/14 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Matt B:

yes! I absolutely love Morrowind, never got that into Oblivion though. Some things were cooler, the graphics were obviously better, but I wasn't into it.
Skyrim was like (all the good parts of oblivion+Morrowind) x 2 + Dragons and slow mo kill shots.

My favorite thing I've ever witnessed from a video game still was a slow mo'd kill shot I got on a bandit with a bow and arrow. It went through his head and it was epic.
lmao

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
1/22/14 2:51 p.m.

Found the talking dog the other night. What an annoying PITA that thing is. It follows you around and is always getting in the way.

I was messing around with duel fire balls. Them things are fun!!!!!

Hardest thing so far I have done was the battle inside the black star thing. What a PITA that battle is. I am at level 23 and it was still a tough battle for me.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
1/22/14 3:02 p.m.

In reply to corytate: me likey the slo-mo kills as well. When you get about halfway up the melee weapon skill trees you can get a decapitation upgrade that uses the same cut-sequence. It is fun, to say the least (I may have mentioned that already, but I crack up every time it happens).

In reply to dean1484: yeah, that battle inside the star was TOUGH. I died a couple of times before I realized that fire wasn't hurting the daedra very much (duh).

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
1/22/14 8:13 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Found the talking dog the other night. What an annoying PITA that thing is. It follows you around and is always getting in the way.

The dog was irritating but... fun fact: it can't die. Pick him up and then run around doing other quests and let the dog take all the hits.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/23/14 9:56 a.m.

With the Dawnguard DLC comes probably the best companion you could get. Also, I stopped playing after the legendary dragons started fleeing me instead of fighting.......except when they think my Hearthfire house is their roost......then they will always kill either my bard and die in quick succession. My advice, get all the DLC, they're worth it.

jde
jde Reader
1/23/14 3:46 p.m.

Bought it in the last Steam sale, just getting started.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
1/23/14 4:16 p.m.
yamaha wrote: With the Dawnguard DLC comes probably the best companion you could get. Also, I stopped playing after the legendary dragons started fleeing me instead of fighting.......except when they think my Hearthfire house is their roost......then they will always kill either my bard and die in quick succession. My advice, get all the DLC, they're worth it.

Agreed, the only other companion that I've come across that comes close is Aranea(sp?) - the dark elf you get from the Azura's/Black star quest. The magic-based companions are so much better than the melee ones because they don't get in the line of fire as easily.

What the hell level are you where the legendary dragons are running away? I'm on lvl 65 and they're still pestering me.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/24/14 8:40 a.m.

I started playing the elder scrolls with Dagerfall. I still have the CD by the computer, but haven't played it in years because I never got DosBox to work right with it.

I just started playing Skyrim again. The first play through ended abruptly with a dead PS3. The next play through ended on the 360 with my sword in one hand spell in the other, Nord. Just recently I started it again on the 360 with a high elf with just a bow and some light armor. I'm going to side with the opposite groups this time around. I even joined the Companions.

How do people like playing Skyrim on the PC? I might switch over to a new PC for the new online Elder Scrolls MMORPG... I dunno though... I kind of want a PS4 but the games aren't taunting me enough yet to spend the cash.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JatDinisCz2c7IiJdJKZiwFOi63NKyox9tagFi7Wfw8sqxS9unySgIKKwwnG5YYa