1 2 3 4
NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/7/20 12:02 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I have this and it is addictive. The steering is a bit weird. You get nothing then suddenly crazy over boosted steering.

Yeah, my Fleetstar in particular seems to drive like a wounded cow, and because of the weird steering I get wobbling back and forth down the road as I continue to overcorrect due to the variable rate of steering speed. Then I plow into a guardrail and get -15 to my engine.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/8/20 12:16 p.m.

I need to take another  crack at this. i'm kinda frustrated because I dropped retail coin on it and I can't even play multiplayer.... but apparently there is light at the end of the tunnel once I get a fleetstar. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/8/20 2:32 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I need to take another  crack at this. i'm kinda frustrated because I dropped retail coin on it and I can't even play multiplayer.... but apparently there is light at the end of the tunnel once I get a fleetstar. 

Yeah, Fleetstar is the jam. Just take a quick trip down to the garage and they give it to you for free. I'm still doing most of my heavy lifting with the Fleetstar. The Paystar is a bit more capable in the mud, but it's got less horsepower (with no engine upgrades available) and its a bit top-heavy. But if you need to haul something through a river or bog, the Paystar just digs in and goes and goes and goes. They give you a GMC MH9500 and a Chevy Kodiak in the first zone of Michigan, sell both of those to get the Paystar. 

You can fast-travel to Russia once you get the garage and go get one of the Azov trucks and bring it back to the US, but that truck is so absurdly capable in order to handle Russia, that the general consensus is that it makes the Michigan and Alaska segments too easy. Remember, this game is kind of the Dark Souls of vehicle games, you are supposed to fail, to flip and sink trucks and have to rescue them, to have to struggle to get through places and experiment, and then take satisfaction in the eventual success

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/10/20 6:17 p.m.
NickD said:
Mndsm said:

Yeah, Fleetstar is the jam. Just take a quick trip down to the garage and they give it to you for free. I'm still doing most of my heavy lifting with the Fleetstar. The Paystar is a bit more capable in the mud, but it's got less horsepower (with no engine upgrades available) and its a bit top-heavy. But if you need to haul something through a river or bog, the Paystar just digs in and goes and goes and goes. They give you a GMC MH9500 and a Chevy Kodiak in the first zone of Michigan, sell both of those to get the Paystar. 

You can fast-travel to Russia once you get the garage and go get one of the Azov trucks and bring it back to the US, but that truck is so absurdly capable in order to handle Russia, that the general consensus is that it makes the Michigan and Alaska segments too easy. Remember, this game is kind of the Dark Souls of vehicle games, you are supposed to fail, to flip and sink trucks and have to rescue them, to have to struggle to get through places and experiment, and then take satisfaction in the eventual success

So, you were right about the fleet star. It rips. I've made a good bit of progress so far, though I'm buried in a swamp right now and I just tipped over a fuel trailer. Probably gonna need to go sell the GMC and try and get the paystar and dig it out. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/11/20 8:59 a.m.

Alright, I have a gripe. see what we have here? The mighty fleet Star, and a box of drilling parts. Those parts needed to be recovered and brought to the warehouse. They recommended a crane. Clearly, I do not own a crane. I didn't feel like purchasing it. After the miracle I pulled to get the oil tanker out of the swamp using ONLY the fleet star and some....creative winching, I was feeling saucy. As it turns out you can push stuff. So, I pushed this crate out of the hole to the delivery point. 

And that's when I noticed, my problem. This game has a very weird transfer mechanic where you can't finish something delivery wise unless you posess it. Case in point. Had a trailer full of steel beams to drop at a bridge. Accidentally rolled the trailer hard enough that the beams came undone. Still in the trailer, so berkeley it, off we go. Get to the drop and it doesn't think I have the beams, even though they are right there in my trailer. Had to restrap the damn things just long enough to unstrap them again to make the drop. Annoying. So, I have to go all the berkeley the way back to the garage and buy a crane I don't feel like buying to deliver a package 0 feet. 

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
7/12/20 10:57 a.m.

The thing about the crane, is buy one and then only put it on the truck when you need it and leave it off for the most part. there have been lots of times people have used the crane to push themselves out of trouble and to keep them selves from tipping to far. The first thing i did was went to Russia and bought two trucks and worked the rest of the game with them. I have Russian done with some help and almost done with Michigan today i hope. then moving onto the great white north. Also, selling trailers for extra cash is also a great tip when needed. 

If you want some help tom, send me a message and I can help. I have gotten help from nate and some others i game with and helped out some others also. Its a fun game and very annoying at times for taking time to get things done and then other times things go great. I can deal with ots of stuff, but there are times this game wears in my time and i have to walk away from it. 

I have gotten to the point of owning every truck in the game and selling many to cut down the grarage to those i use the most. need to cut done some more to the basics i think at things point. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/12/20 11:22 a.m.

In reply to ckosacranoid :

I appreciate the offer, but apparently my internet is a giant berkeley you type and I can't multiplayer, which is mostly the reason I bought this game. Fortunately for me I took some time to sit down and reframe how I thought about it and now and enjoying single player. I went back and got my fleet star and did a bunch of stuff. I've also done some colossally stupid stuff- I refused the Kodiak in the mud way up north with the fleet star, on stock tires, stock lift. But it's not Forza. My whole thought process was I'm driving around at a billion miles an hour and slamming my objectives. this is barely a driving gsme- it's all a puzzle. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/13/20 1:40 p.m.

More talking to myself! Went to Russia, brought back my khan scout truck. Knocked out a bunch of piddly E36 M3 in Michigan. Have a bunch of cool E36 M3 on my c/k but I may sell it. Apparently have an h2 Hummer, no idea where it came from. 

I did however notice, putting off-road tires on the paystar is kind of a double edge sword. It's awesome in the dirt and mud. Unstoppable. But I threw a crane and a flatbed on it because I am sick of toting trailers, and lemme tell you, it has no berkeleying balance. The thing keels over like a fat guy at a wing buffet. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/13/20 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Yeah, the small loading crane is better than the heavy crane, but with a lift and the biggest tires, you have to tread carefully. In areas where I'm concerned off a rollover, I tend to preemptively attach a winch in the opposite direction of the anticipated rollover so that I can stop it before it ends up on its head.

My big revelation was selling my International Scout to buy the International Loadstar, which is bigger International scout-class vehicle. Holy E36 M3, even without a lift on it, the Loadstar just goes and goes and goes. And it zips right along on the open road.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/13/20 3:54 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Interesting choice. I'm super pissed at the Khan right now because the dammit thing will not stay on its wheels, and I'm about to ship it the berkeley back to Russia. Maybe I sell off a few more things and buy a loadstar. I'm keeping the h2 though, that thing is inappropriately fun. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/14/20 6:53 a.m.
NickD said:
dean1484 said:

I have this and it is addictive. The steering is a bit weird. You get nothing then suddenly crazy over boosted steering.

Yeah, my Fleetstar in particular seems to drive like a wounded cow, and because of the weird steering I get wobbling back and forth down the road as I continue to overcorrect due to the variable rate of steering speed. Then I plow into a guardrail and get -15 to my engine.  

The only way around that is to just let off the gas. I have never been able to stop it any other way. Really irritating if you are trying to get momentum up for a hill or something. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/15/20 8:05 a.m.

I had a near heart-stopping moment last night. I'm out operating in Island Lake, which has no garage or fuel station. So if you flip a truck and can't salvage it with your own rigs, you have to recover all the way back to Smithville Dam and then drive out to the Island Lake tunnel again. I had to retrieve a curtainside trailer and cement blocks from Smithville Dam to drag all the way out to Island Lake for an objective, so I recovered my White Western Star (rather than drive back), installed a few new upgrades I found, went and grabbed the curtainside trailer and loaded it with cement blocks and then headed to the Island Lake Tunnel. What is worth noting is that I had been going Smithville Dam to Drummond Island to Island Lake (Island Lake has portals to both locations) and this time went from Smithville to Island, which dumps you in a different area of the map. An area I had not been to.

Start heading towards the abandoned saw mill (my objective) and come to a pair of bridges that needed to be rebuilt with wooden planks. Ground looks pretty solid on the side, and until I fix the saw mill I don't have a source of wooden planks, which would require backtracking to a different part of Michigan. So I try to drive around the bridge through the swamp and sink my White. E36 M3. Okay, jump to my Paystar with the plan to yank the White out. But first I had to detour to the beachhead I've established (I dragged three or four fuel and repair trailers out there) to refuel, plus I should go get some planks to fix the second half of the bridge rather than go around that too and risk getting stuck again. Going along and I roll the Paystar on its side. Great. Jump to my Pacific P16 to go roll the Paystar on its side, come crashing through the woods and as I'm coming out onto the road, I hit a huge hole and flop the Pacific P16 on its side. Incredible. Okay, still got my Fleetstar standing by at my operations post, so I unhitch it and start heading out to go rescue either the Paystar or the Pacific and realize where I just left had steel beams, which I also need to fix the saw mill. So I should load up the Fleetstar with beams, then flip the Paystar upright and refuel the Paystar, load the Paystar with planks and tow the Fleetstar out to the mill with the Paystar. Go to turn around and yup, flop the Fleetstar over. Seriously?! Now every one of my big trucks is stuck or rolled over.

So I jump to my GMT-400 scout and head over to the Pacific, Fleetstar and Paystar and the GMT-400 just doesn't have enough mass to right any of them, especially because they are at awkward angles to roll upright. I still have the Loadstar, which is heavier and has the Heavy Winch, but it is out in the middle of nowhere and the suspension is at 14 health. So I jump to the Loadstar, gingerly drive back to civilization, returning to where I have my repair trailers at, arriving with 4hp for the suspension, fix it up, right the Fleetstar (and almost flip it again trying to get it out of the hole it is in), go fuel and load the Fleetstar, go back get the Paystar back on its wheels, go fuel and load the Paystar, then tow Fleetstar up to the saw mill with the Paystar, rebuild both halves of the bridge, drag the Western Star out of the mud (running out of fuel in the Paystar literally as I got the White free) and fixed the saw mill.

TLDR: In a move of shockingly poor driving and bad luck, I sank one truck and rolled 3 others in my attempts to rescue the first and nearly had to reset to Smithville Dam and drive all the way out through Drummond Island to Island Lake, but pulled a miracle out of my ass at the very last second.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/15/20 11:06 a.m.

Apparently there's some sort of update today?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/15/20 1:03 p.m.

There is an 11gb update. 2 new trucks, a new area, etc. I'm still in Michigan, trying to be methodical in my approach. My loadstar is currently buried to the sills and out of gas. This is going well. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/15/20 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

It's Season 1, if you have the Season's pass, called Search & Recover. New map, Kovd Lake up in Russia's Kola Peninsula. New vehicles including a mid-'70s Ford F750 as a scout-class. And apparently, there is a mission where you get to recover a WWII bomber

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/15/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yeah, I have the season pass. It's part of the reason I fought as hard as I did to get back into it. Damn thing cost me a fortune. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/15/20 4:22 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Just WOW.  That is why the game is so cool.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/15/20 7:45 p.m.

The update just landed and it brings wheel support to the PS4. My son is using it now and said it is much better than the controller. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/16/20 7:40 a.m.

Whomever compared this game to darksouls is spot on. I've been following the advice in this thread and it has helped a lot, but the game is still crazy hard. My wife was watching me play and I think she started to get uncomfortable because it was like watching me be tortured.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/16/20 8:42 a.m.
clutchsmoke said:

Whomever compared this game to darksouls is spot on. I've been following the advice in this thread and it has helped a lot, but the game is still crazy hard. My wife was watching me play and I think she started to get uncomfortable because it was like watching me be tortured.

That was me. At times, the relationship with this game is a bit like Stockholm Syndrome

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/16/20 9:27 a.m.
NickD said:
clutchsmoke said:

That was me. At times, the relationship with this game is a bit like Stockholm Syndrome

Stockholm syndrome? Accurate. My loadstar is underwater near the dam right now and I'm still in the mood to go fetch it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/17/20 9:56 a.m.

After 3! Days, I have rescued the white star. That was a giant pain in the ass. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/17/20 10:14 a.m.
Mndsm said:

After 3! Days, I have rescued the white star. That was a giant pain in the ass. 

Oh, the White Western Star was a nightmare to retrieve. And I, being impatient, which is a big no-no in this game, tried to drag it up the shorter way, rather than go the longer, easier route. Nifty truck though, about as capable as the Fleetstar, but with that huge 300L fuel tank.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/17/20 12:45 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

No locker though, at least that I could find. I did the same as you, I thought my dumb ass was going to go straight up the hill. Lolnope. After running out of gas 3 times, rolling it at least 6, getting stuck on countless trees, etc - I drove it half way around the lake on the beach with the fleetstar, across to the island, back across to the outside and up the long way. Worked the first time as soon as I got my head out of my ass. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/17/20 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

There is a diff lock for the White, its up in Island Lake. I have it. The only downsides to the White is it has a longer wheelbase which makes it a bit clumsy, and even with the best engine, it doesn't quite have enough guts to haul the huge trailer. I was bullheaded and dragged it up that hill with my Paystar with a lot of berkeleying around involved. I ended up leaving the road and going out through the woods and getting stuck down in a bowl and nearly running out of fuel and rolling over a few times. It was an ordeal, and pretty stupid.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3RxtLP00BALlUDVvEaN8opRvYHAtJH5cqdVRiDGPvFnX18j1m7ch4aLM2xaMcqlF