1 2 3 4 5
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/17/20 9:47 p.m.

Alright. Almost cleared out the dam section of Michigan. Debating packing up the family and moving to Russia for a little while- get some more fancy trucks. Pretty happy with what I have right now though. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/18/20 9:47 a.m.

I found and rescued the Western Star 6900 Twin Steer last night. Pretty capable for no AWD but it is one long unwieldy SOB

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/18/20 6:35 p.m.

I hope to get back to this as now we have wheel support. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/18/20 6:39 p.m.

Made it to Drummond island. Sorta bored with the trucks I have, but also not in the mood to spend $$.$$$. such is life. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/20 12:25 p.m.

Rescued the twin star myself. Jesus this thing is big. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/19/20 5:09 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Yeah, but 4 cargo slots! And 360L fuel tanks!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/20 5:44 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Yeah, but 4 cargo slots! And 360L fuel tanks!

If only it had awd and a locker. I wouldn't need trailers ever again. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/20 9:01 p.m.

Almost time to pack up the circus and move to Russia.... 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/20/20 7:53 p.m.

It's azov time. Sold the twin steer because I am never going to use it. No awd means hard pass. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/21/20 12:21 p.m.

I'll keep talking to myself! Bought the Kaz explorer- the 6 wheeled one. That thing is a beast. It's making short work of the expansion level. 

Oddly, as much as I hated the Khan in Michigan, that thing has really come into its own in Russia. There are some really damn good trucks in Russia, apparently. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/22/20 8:40 a.m.
Mndsm said:

It's azov time. Sold the twin steer because I am never going to use it. No awd means hard pass. 

Even without AWD, the Twin Steer still goes pretty much everywhere. According to the PC guys, a test server has AWD on the Twin Steer, so that might be in the works in an update. 

I'm on the mission where I have to drag the huge construction semi-trailer (the mission-specific trailer with no actual use that requires a high saddle) from the port at Drummond Island to the drilling site in Smithville Dam and wow, am I dreading it. I got it to the Smithville Dam portal but I have no clue what route to go through Smithville so that I don't wedge/sink/high-center the damn thing. And if I have to reset because I get it in a situation I can't get out of, then it's a long haul back

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/22/20 9:14 a.m.
NickD said:
Mndsm said:

Even without AWD, the Twin Steer still goes pretty much everywhere. According to the PC guys, a test server has AWD on the Twin Steer, so that might be in the works in an update. 

I'm on the mission where I have to drag the huge construction semi-trailer (the mission-specific trailer with no actual use that requires a high saddle) from the port at Drummond Island to the drilling site in Smithville Dam and wow, am I dreading it. I got it to the Smithville Dam portal but I have no clue what route to go through Smithville so that I don't wedge/sink/high-center the damn thing. And if I have to reset because I get it in a situation I can't get out of, then it's a long haul back

I haven't done that yet. I took off for the expansion island to try something different. I've dropped just about every vehicle I own through the lake. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/22/20 7:28 p.m.

the draw distances are incredible. If you zoom the pic all the way in the distance , just jutting out of the rock formation- is my white western star sunk up to it's balls in the ice. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/23/20 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Yeah, this game is very impressive as far as technical aspects. The changing environment, draw distances and graphics are all wild. Sadly, it won't get the credit/recognition it deserves just because it is such a small niche game

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
7/23/20 8:41 p.m.

The trick with bringing the big trailer from the port in Drummond to smithville is to go in though the farm and turn left at that looks like a wood mill and go around the top of the map, yes its longer to drive, but much easier to pull the damn thing to their. I have done it two or three times for myself and other people. 

Get to the new Russian map and in the upper Conner is a upgrade for the GMC 9500 which makes it AWD which makes the truck pretty cool then. Also you get a free small truck which can have a one space bed and crane or fuel rack. Nice little truck. The ford 750 is nice in some ways, sucks in others. Good scout to get around cause you can carry lots of repair and fuel with you and can carry lots of bigger trailers. The downside it sucks for power to get up hills and to pull with and its a bit long. I have used it to help a few other people open up the new Russian map and its pretty nice to use.

The APC is free in Russian and easy to find the thing on the zin map. The nav star with mud tires and a lift really does a great job hauling around stuff with a 4 slot stack bed semi trailer makes things very easy. 

The nav star i tried and thought it sucked bad. I use a lot of Russian trucks early in mich when i could after selling some stuff and i think I bought a Azov and something else that worked great for power and hauling. Bought the P12 right off the bat and used it also, not as much i though and the bought some cheap Russians trucks and used them. 

I have been hardcore and used the Chevy 1500 to map out every map in the game but the new one, have not used it one that.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/25/20 6:01 p.m.

And I'm almost done with kovd. Made a few fairly significant mistakes that took me a couple days to puzzle out, but I got there. The real question is, where are all the upgrades. My status tracker says I haven't found any- but nearest I can tell I've explored all the towers, which should at least tell me where they are. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/26/20 12:25 p.m.

Packed up and moved out of kovd. Going back to Michigan to clean up the scraps and then I think I'm going to Alaska. There's some gigantic caterpillar truck something that looks cool. I've pretty much ironed out my truck list, I go between the loadstar and the 6 wheeled Russian thing, and use the western star for most load hauling. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/27/20 2:02 p.m.

Got the damn big trailer from Drummond to Smithville. Fleetstar for the win! My love for the Fleetstar runs deep. Part of that might be due to riding in a Fleetstar through a mountain gorge with the 2-stroke Detroit Diesel screaming an exhaust note through the stacks that would peel the ears off your head. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/27/20 4:49 p.m.
NickD said:

Got the damn big trailer from Drummond to Smithville. Fleetstar for the win! My love for the Fleetstar runs deep. Part of that might be due to riding in a Fleetstar through a mountain gorge with the 2-stroke Detroit Diesel screaming an exhaust note through the stacks that would peel the ears off your head. 

If you're talking about that one giant ridiculous drilling trailer, I just did that. Used a Pacific p12. Total gas hog. Gonna sell it as soon as I'm done with Michigan which is theoretically tonight. 

In other news, I've had a thought. I wonder if it's possible to complete the game without spending $$$. Gift upgrades and free trucks only. The only part I can't wrap my head around is a crane and a flatbed.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/28/20 10:34 a.m.

Finished Michigan. Now up in Alaska. The snow sucks. My CK1500 does not want to go through it at all.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/28/20 10:54 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yar 87, Khan dlc truck or loadstar is what I did in kovd. The Yar rips. i made the tuz16 because it was funny. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/28/20 11:27 a.m.

That is COOL!!!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/28/20 11:41 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

It absolutely sucks to drive. I slopped it into a guardrail and blew it apart within half a block of the warehouse in Alaska. 

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
7/28/20 2:25 p.m.

I will be honest, the ford 750 is under powered, but for a scout and the outfitted to carry lots of gas and repair parts. it rocks and i have used it a lot and ois know my go to truck to scouting or refueling other people. The 6x6 yar is cool and fun to toss around. The new Tax, not a big fan, though you can put a crane and one space bed on it to grab small things. I have been cutting my trucks down and rotate though i small number. I will say the upgrade for the GMC 9500 to AMW really makes the truck very nice. The Nav star is very nice also and use it a lot. I also try to use the P16 her and there also since it was free and looks cool. Russia trucks seem to be the go to for the game with a lot of people cause they just seem to work best. 

I can not recall all the upgrades for Lake Kovid, one for the 9500 is along the top of the map in a ice waterfall and kinda of pain to get out of. The other one is follow the tracks out of the rail yard and to a tunnel and the upgrade is to the left. I know there is a extra one, you will have to look it up and see where it is. 

With the last updates, the locations for tasks and upgrades just do not show up on the map listing without going and looking at the event, then it shows up after to find it.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/28/20 3:49 p.m.

Thus far I've really been struggling and not fully following all the tips and tricks. Just using the free trucks. I hated the K1500 and decided to grab more of the free vehicles in Michigan (Scout 800 and C70). 

Scout was the first 4wd I tried putting GOOD rated mud tires on. Well whaddya know all the places on the map I was getting stuck in before it just motored right through! Until it rolls on it's side after you put a wheel over a pebble. And I kept doing that in areas without winch points.

After being annoyed by the Scout I decided to try the KHAN. It's a lot slower than the Scout, but far less tippy.

I've got 123k to spend. Decisions decisions.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bJIrNkHGY3h7Wf61wGKqAZU3eFnWUuzXRhyaT7C9dn6nm9ajCFusIuZiNmE6e4ED