2 3 4 5 6
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/28/20 6:32 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

Thus far I've really been struggling and not fully following all the tips and tricks. Just using the free trucks. I hated the K1500 and decided to grab more of the free vehicles in Michigan (Scout 800 and C70). 

Scout was the first 4wd I tried putting GOOD rated mud tires on. Well whaddya know all the places on the map I was getting stuck in before it just motored right through! Until it rolls on it's side after you put a wheel over a pebble. And I kept doing that in areas without winch points.

After being annoyed by the Scout I decided to try the KHAN. It's a lot slower than the Scout, but far less tippy.

I've got 123k to spend. Decisions decisions.

Loadstar is the move. Capable as most of the heavy hitter scouts, and not nearly as tip happy. I retired the Khan and sold the Scout. The F750... I don't think I like it. I have a pretty dedicated crew of trucks I use right now.... Loadstar, 6x6, Western Star and the 8 wheel Azov. With that, I am indestructible 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/29/20 12:21 p.m.

And I unretired the Khan. Turns out as much as I didn't like it in Russia, it rips in Alaska. Go figure. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/31/20 6:03 p.m.

Got me a cat 745. May sell it, not as impressed as id like and it would appear it doesn't do trailers. Trailers are important to me. since I can't play multiplayer, I've gotta work around my cargo limitations. I may buy something with a 4 top deck, tow a trailer, and do another 4 top deck with trailer. 16 cargos in one shot if it works. My current practical record is 8. Using the azov and two trailers. 

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
8/3/20 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I have one of those trucks tom. A bit slow, but good for hauling stuff though with the 8x8. I have started to really use trailers like the 5 slot sideboard a lot on alakse right now and some russia. I have been using more towing trucks like the longhorn, Navstar and taga a lot over the short two space trucks unless there is only a couple of things for a load.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/3/20 6:54 p.m.
ckosacranoid said:

In reply to Mndsm :

I have one of those trucks tom. A bit slow, but good for hauling stuff though with the 8x8. I have started to really use trailers like the 5 slot sideboard a lot on alakse right now and some russia. I have been using more towing trucks like the longhorn, Navstar and taga a lot over the short two space trucks unless there is only a couple of things for a load.

I'm really down to 3 trucks I use. The Asov, the White Western Star, and the Loadstar. I just dug a Derry something out of a ditch, and it's sort of mediocre, but I have a high saddle on it for really big E36 M3. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/4/20 5:32 a.m.

I'm still really impressed with the TwinSteer. Even without AWD it goes pretty much anywhere, the big 360L fuel tanks give it a ton of range, and the 4 cargo slots are amazing. I can't wait to get a lift for it.

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
8/4/20 7:55 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I was hesitant to use it much at first because of how long it is and it getting high-centered or being unable to make tight turns. But with a bit of creative winching, it is pretty capable!

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
8/4/20 4:20 p.m.

Yes, that derry you pulled out of the ditch is pretty crappy, seen reveiws and they say that. i was not impressed with it myself and sold it. free money that way at least.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/5/20 12:51 p.m.

And with that, I am in Russia. This is my last stop on the missions tour - kovd, Alaska and Michigan are done aside from time trials. I haven't found all the upgrades in Alaska yet, but I REALLY want the big Russian trucks. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/5/20 2:22 p.m.

I'm churning my way through Alaska right now. The Paystar and the TwinSteer are doing most of my heavy lifting. I got the Royal BM17 and I know a lot of folks rave about it, but the specs don't seem that hot to me. I was looking at buying one of the Freightliner offroad trucks to replace the Paystar (due to the Paystar being a little low on power) but the 200L fuel tanks on them seem too small for my liking. The 240L tanks on the Fleetstar and Paystar are small enough

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/5/20 3:01 p.m.
NickD said:

I'm churning my way through Alaska right now. The Paystar and the TwinSteer are doing most of my heavy lifting. I got the Royal BM17 and I know a lot of folks rave about it, but the specs don't seem that hot to me. I was looking at buying one of the Freightliner offroad trucks to replace the Paystar (due to the Paystar being a little low on power) but the 200L fuel tanks on them seem too small for my liking. The 240L tanks on the Fleetstar and Paystar are small enough

I did 85% of Alaska with the asov something, a low saddle, and a 5 slot trailer. Asov had a crane. Beyond that, there was some loadstar and the occasional western star. The high saddle missions I used the Derry because it cost me nothing. Beyond that... 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/20 7:26 a.m.

So what's the gist of the game? I have to admit I'm kind of intrigued.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/6/20 8:07 a.m.

I decided to try multiplayer last night after I dumped my 8 wheel Azov, trailer, and 5 pieces of lumber 3/4 of the way to the destination. Couple people joined me and made recovery go wayyyy faster. What a helpful bunch! Makes sense with this game. If you're playing a game like this you like to problem solve and find workarounds.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/6/20 9:15 a.m.
z31maniac said:

So what's the gist of the game? I have to admit I'm kind of intrigued.

In short, you use trucks to make deliveries. But that is really underselling the game. It's very extreme conditions (mud, snow, rivers, rocks) and the modifications are all very important but are all heavy on tradeoffs (unlike some games where an upgrade is a straight upgrade, these usually have noticeable downsides as well). And it gets heavy into the minutia, like having to manually engage low gear and switch transfer cases into 4WD and turn lockers on and off and select winching points. And the trucks can be damaged or get stuck or sink or flipped on their side and you have to recover them, and the terrain changes as you drive over it, which makes it all very difficult. Early on is really rough, and then once you get access to a couple of the better trucks it gets somewhat easier, but its never really an easy game. About the time you start getting confident is when you have some calamity befall you.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/6/20 9:19 a.m.
Mndsm said:
NickD said:

I'm churning my way through Alaska right now. The Paystar and the TwinSteer are doing most of my heavy lifting. I got the Royal BM17 and I know a lot of folks rave about it, but the specs don't seem that hot to me. I was looking at buying one of the Freightliner offroad trucks to replace the Paystar (due to the Paystar being a little low on power) but the 200L fuel tanks on them seem too small for my liking. The 240L tanks on the Fleetstar and Paystar are small enough

I did 85% of Alaska with the asov something, a low saddle, and a 5 slot trailer. Asov had a crane. Beyond that, there was some loadstar and the occasional western star. The high saddle missions I used the Derry because it cost me nothing. Beyond that... 

I'm trying to progress through the maps in order and not go get trucks that wouldn't normally be available for me yet. The fun of the game is the challenge, so getting the Russian rigs and going EZ Mode kinda defeats the purpose in my mind.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/6/20 10:00 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

My problem was, I skipped straight to kovd after Michigan, so technically the Russian trucks were in order. I suppose I could have done Alaska without the asov, because it's admittedly a very slow truck- but it just works. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/20 10:56 a.m.
NickD said:
z31maniac said:

So what's the gist of the game? I have to admit I'm kind of intrigued.

In short, you use trucks to make deliveries. But that is really underselling the game. It's very extreme conditions (mud, snow, rivers, rocks) and the modifications are all very important but are all heavy on tradeoffs (unlike some games where an upgrade is a straight upgrade, these usually have noticeable downsides as well). And it gets heavy into the minutia, like having to manually engage low gear and switch transfer cases into 4WD and turn lockers on and off and select winching points. And the trucks can be damaged or get stuck or sink or flipped on their side and you have to recover them, and the terrain changes as you drive over it, which makes it all very difficult. Early on is really rough, and then once you get access to a couple of the better trucks it gets somewhat easier, but its never really an easy game. About the time you start getting confident is when you have some calamity befall you.

Sounds interesting and definitely different from the norm. On the PS4 I typically play Wreckfest or NBA 2k20.

Just waiting until I can get a sim rig built and go back to iRacing.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/6/20 11:31 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I'm with you on that. I haven't been playing the maps in order and have been enjoying skipping around and trying different trucks. I was getting bored in Michigan partly because I had not yet figured out the game yet, but also being limited in the missions I could feasibly complete there. My main frustration was having the money to make modifications to the trucks I had access to, but they were locked because I didn't have enough XP. I think that situation leads people to go grab the more capable Russian trucks and take them to the other maps.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/6/20 11:41 a.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Yeah, The good thing about the methodical playthrough is when you go to Alaska, you now have leveled up enough to unlock the chained tires, which makes Alaska so much nicer.

The conundrum I have right now is on the topic of scouts. I have three, the CK1500, the Loadstar and the Hummer. I haven't used the Hummer, because I haven't found the lifted suspension. I have the Loadstar, I love it, but again, no lifted suspension yet, so it struggles in the deep snow and mud. My CK1500 has a lift and the biggest chained tires, but it's ability to go through snow and mud seems random. Sometimes it absolutely hauls ass through a mud pit and other times, it gets stuck in the smallest pit as if it is a stock vehicle and requires lots of winching.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/6/20 11:54 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I had the same experience with the 1500. I really liked the Scout 800 it hauls ass and it seemed to get through everything I threw at it. It requires very careful driving with how easily it tips over. I think I'll go back to it and make sure I'm extra careful in areas without winch points.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/6/20 8:48 p.m.

Go find the lifted suspension for the loadstar. Changes the game. 

 

As far as trucks go, I've been playing....kind of a lot and the only thing I don't have immediate access to is the asov Arctic. I'm afraid of how good it is because it is the last level bound truck in the game. 

failboat (Forum Supporter)
failboat (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/7/20 7:12 a.m.

r/snowrunner - This fits very well to me...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/7/20 7:56 a.m.

In reply to failboat (Forum Supporter) :

Accurate to the finest detail. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/7/20 1:36 p.m.

In reply to failboat (Forum Supporter) :

That was exactly me the other day and happened again last night. Sigh.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
8/9/20 2:56 p.m.

Two things that would be good for helping out, go to kovid and have someone help you out to open it up and find the ford 750 and the upgrades for it. and then get the AWD for the gmc 9500 on the map. that will help you a lot on any map and the truck is really good with the awd and lift. The ford kinda sucks for pulling and hills, but the fuel and repair points it can carry are worth the headache it is for under powered. I thinks almost 500 repair it can carry and close to 400 liters of fuel so it works great for a upoort truck to act as a mobile refuel and repair truck.

2 3 4 5 6
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
ceYhCqjB8TqRKbRMpzHFvYuX9cTUIWvaPmokPqqyWE57iVp84StYi8KYnyoj5sdM