1 2 3
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/15/14 6:53 p.m.

Game was apparently Kickstarted last year- and the tech demo is out right now. it's REALLY cool for what it is. I promise this is not a canoe, the DL and all the mods are FREE FREE FREE! www.spintires.com

NONACK
NONACK Reader
5/19/14 11:42 a.m.

I played this at a friend's house last night, the physics and attention to detail (look at that MUD) are pretty incredible. I challenge everyone to top my crowning achievement of yumping the 8 wheeler clean over the 4 wheeler without touching the roof.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
5/19/14 1:40 p.m.

Yes this is pretty awesome. had the demo a few months now, i thought you guys already knew about it.

this one is also pretty awesome although my computer is barely adequate to run it. http://hooniverse.com/2013/08/12/beamng-drive-tech-demo-and-alpha-now-available-for-all/

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/19/14 6:23 p.m.

Yeah, I'd never seen it before. Dat mud tho.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/26/14 1:01 p.m.

Huh I remember seeing this when it was still in early development, I'll have to check it out.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
5/28/14 9:04 a.m.

there is a countdown timer on their website. 16 days and some change. is something awesome about to be released?

http://spintires.com/

EDIT: full game comes out 6/13. sweeeeet. A+ game, will buy.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/28/14 5:49 p.m.

Ayup, full game. WOULD buy, however the tech demo alone is enough to make my laptop E36 M3 itself.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
5/28/14 9:21 p.m.

I am assuming there will be wheel support. I may have to call out sick from work for a day if/when I get it.

Surprisingly my somewhat dated desktop handles the demo acceptably.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
6/2/14 11:36 p.m.

I just saw this. Open world driving games are my shizzle; Big Red Racing, 1nsane, Fuel, TDU 1/2 and Forza Horizons. It's for sale on Steam at 10% off but I don't think my laptop would run it very well.

I'll have to get the demo when I get off of work and play it instead of sleeping (sleep is overrated )

In reply to failboat:

What are the specs on your laptop? I have a Toshiba X205-SLI5 from 2008 running Win7 Pro. SLi5 spec sheet

Do you think I will be able to run it?

Also, according to their Kickstarter page, G25/G27 wheels will be fully supported.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/6/14 3:44 p.m.

my desktop is basically a workstation computer thats a few years old acquired from a friend who works/worked in IT.

compaq sr5505f (basically its an HP)
windows vista
amd athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4200+ 2.2GHz
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon HD 5700 graphics card and upgraded PSU to support

Its OK. as in turn the graphics on low-medium and it will run smoothly for games like Euro Truck Simulator and Spintires. My brother gave me the graphics card and I had to buy the new PSU to support it, that was a huge improvement over an onboard graphics card, basically nothing was playable except for LFS.

I think the type of memory this computer uses (and # of slots available) limits me to what I have now. I sort of forget, I know I looked into it before. I'd probably like to build a nicer PC at some point but for now its adequate. Im just happy I can play some driving games smoothly and also run that HDMI cable to the 60" plasma sitting adjacent to the computer desk.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
6/11/14 8:07 a.m.

Toyed around with this thing for a while. DAT 8X8 is all i have to say. it's pretty much IMPOSSIBRU to get stuck. Love the free demo! WILL buy this when it comes out

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/15/14 7:28 p.m.

likely due to time zone shenanigans or whatever, the full game is available now. at least on amazon.com. Im trying to get my hands on a copy on CD/DVD

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/16/14 4:56 p.m.

I may have just purchased Spintires aaaaand its downloading now.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/16/14 10:10 p.m.

been dicking around with the game this evening. took me a while to figure out how to use the new features of the game. like using a crane attached to the truck. or using winches. getting myself unstuck.

theres 5 maps in the game, each seems to have a selection of trucks. portions of the map are hidden and you have to get to certain areas of the map to remove the "cloaking" so you can see the map. which seems to reveal other items you can discover like more trucks or locations, etc. the trucks take on damage and use fuel. on casual mode you can transport back to the garage if you break down or run out of fuel, theres also a hardcore mode that doesnt let you do that and fuel consumption is greater.

so all this plus inevitable community mods...endless possibilities.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/18/14 7:10 p.m.

Spent a while tonight making a ps3 controller work on the computer. Great success! Makes the game much easier/enjoyable to play.

Ill try to figure out how to grab some screenshots if I do something amusing. It seems like I cant rescue one truck with another....because in order to switch between them you have to be within 50 feet or so of the other truck.

I see others doing this so I dont think I have figured out how to switch from across the map.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/22/14 2:29 p.m.

bump for a couple screenshots and commentary

hauling a load of logs.

just had "discovered" the truck in the background with an empty tank. had to use the fuel tank attachment on one of the other trucks to bring some fuel.

tried using the blue truck in the background to deliver a small load of logs. it got stuck. a lot. only 2wd. ended up saying berkeley it and taking this big monster and attaching the winch, and towed the truck all the way to the delivery point.

ok. this situation was a show.

Pulling the trailer with the nearly submerged orange truck, the trailer gets hung up trying to cross the island in the background to the right. Detach truck, attempt to maneuver around to winch the trailer free, the water suddenly gets pretty deep AND the truck gets stuck on an underwater rock or something, truck takes too much damage from being submerged and is dead where it sits. Bring in the big beast in the lower left of the photo. Tried to pull the trailer around the island and up the bank, but where its sitting now it is stuck. Truck is almost out of fuel so I had to bring in ANOTHER truck with some fuel. Get in the water to try and drag the trailer a different direction and I killed the big truck because I stuck it too deep in the water. Give up on trying to do a legit save on either of the dead trucks, respawn the big one at a garage and add one of the accesories that has a bunch of repair points. after much winching and dragging I get the trailer and orange truck out of the water, repair the orange truck with the big truck, and am on my way to deliver the trailer which unlocks a garage I discovered a couple days earlier.

Picking up some logs to load a trailer. At this point I have picked it up with the crane and have the crane pinning it against the truck so it doesnt move as I back out to the road in the background.

I "completed" this map this morning. 7 hours and change. That includes almost NO exploration time around the map, I was really just focusing on objectives only. Could probably do it much faster next time now that I have learned a few things to do and not do, how to use the crane quickly, etc...For now I have jumped to another one of the 5 included maps.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
6/22/14 7:01 p.m.

there are many fan made maps that can be down loaded along with a ton of down loadable trucks and car mods. i have not played the game at all and my computer will not work with it. but the stuff i know about the game is from watching a ton of youtube videos and I have watched that you know play the game in multi player online else which adds seom help in doing anything in the game.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/23/14 11:40 a.m.

currently if you use mods with the game it possibly disables multiplayer and game achievements through steam. it sounds like that is something the dev's are going to address in the first major update though among other things.

I havent tried any mods on this or the tech demo yet. I certainly want an option for larger tires on the UAZ (jeep thing). Theres a mod for that already but I might wait till the game gets an update to see if it wont void any game progress for me.

I have not tried online play at all yet. might have to try it soon though.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/23/14 9:52 p.m.

Man that looks good.

solfly
solfly Reader
6/24/14 8:08 a.m.

this looks like a lot of fun, my computer would choke on it though

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/24/14 6:09 p.m.

my computer specs are posted earlier in the thread, its nothing special. think 4-5 year old workstation type computer with an upgraded (ok, not amazing. aka free from my brother when he upgraded his) graphics card. YES I have it wired up to the big screen tv.

long load of logs! after winching out of the mud near the lumber yard, I was truckin along across the map pretty good like I thought.

until i got stuck in some mud again, only nearby winch point was a tree up a slight slope which ended up tipping me over.

truck with the crane to the rescue. dragged out the other truck and got the trailer ready to load up. had to drop the load of medium logs i was hauling to help out.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
3/4/15 2:18 p.m.

bump. I am still playing this game pretty frequently, maybe once every week or two. They are releasing updates for the game at least once a month, there is wheel support now but I have not tried it yet, I am waiting for them to release an update with cockpit view.

I find its plenty enjoyable using a PS3 controller, which also works well when you are using the crane on some of the trucks, you would have to switch back and forth if you were using the wheel or use mouse/keyboard or something.

I have tried a few mods which are easy to install but disable game achievements. I had a toyota pickup mod which was great, but the truck never got stuck anywhere and took any sort of challenge out of playing.

I removed the mods, but I must not have removed them all properly, I spent 4 hours on sunday completing a map on hardcore and it didnt give me the achievement! dangit!

I understand there is 4 player multiplayer but I havent tried it yet. So you can earn achievements together, or you can not earn achievements and play with mods if you all have the same ones installed.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
4/7/15 11:35 a.m.

Bump this up a bit.

I remember playing the tech demo around 1-2 years ago and I happened to stumble across playthrough videos on youtube recently out of the blue.

I am ADDICTED. Since Friday I have put over 20 hours into this game

I love everything about it, there are essentially no flaws. And with the modding community, the game is practically limitless.

I thought I was quite the badass hauling a long set of logs across the river with the 8x8 on hardcore. I had the 2wd dually already crossed in case I needed to winch the truck out at the end and had the other two 6x6's on standby with fuel and repairs carriages as the 8x8 was using 75L/min of fuel

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
4/12/15 9:17 p.m.

I really have been watching videos of different maps and truck mods and this game really does look cool though. Need to get acnew computer before I can even think about playing it. There are a couple of race track maps out for 4 player off road racing if any one wants to do that.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/17/15 7:25 p.m.

Just tried this map/trucks mod today. It's awesome!
http://spintires.nl/map-blackwater-canyon/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dSwjoo6qCInBM6f7dp1NpXvFdFGYfz9OR9wUF0eW03UhV8U98VrC9Dzu8hHOHXhY