Slippery
Slippery Dork
6/10/16 9:34 a.m.

I have a 9 year old that has been bugging me for a week to buy him this game. At first he showed me some weird european websites where you can download this from after paying for the game. I told him no as they all seemed fishy to me and he has been moping around since then.

Last night his mom and I were trying to see if we could get this game from a more reputable looking place as I dont feel like getting my cc stolen. We found out you can get a code via Amazon and download the game from something called "Steam".

I know nothing about steam or much about games in general. As much as I would rather buy them a Wiiu game and be done with it, I dont think they offer this on that platform.

Can anyone tell me what is steam and how secure this is?

Here is the Amazon link to the game:

Construction Simulator 2015

Thanks much!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/10/16 10:06 a.m.

Steam is how almost all modern PC games are purchased and delivered. Its huge.

What is the security concern? It sounds like your actual purchase will be Amazon, so no credit card worries on the Steam side of things.

Account security is with name/email/password, backup email, phone number, etc. I haven't really heard of any security concerns with it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/10/16 10:06 a.m.

As in "Steam" owned by Valve. Its basically the gold standard of online game purchasing and they are really a good group to deal with.

Slippery
Slippery Dork
6/10/16 10:13 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

No security concern now that I found Amazon. The website he found first was this one:

Green Man

Which for all I know could be legit, just did not want to take a chance given their contact info is overseas based.

I just had no clue what steam is and wanted to learn about it.

Slippery
Slippery Dork
6/10/16 10:15 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: As in "Steam" owned by Valve. Its basically the gold standard of online game purchasing and they are really a good group to deal with.

Thats good to know. I will order the game tonight and make someone real happy.

java230
java230 Dork
6/10/16 10:17 a.m.

Never had any issues with Steam. Been using it since they started back in the Half Life days

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/12/16 12:45 p.m.

I third the steam recomendation. Good to deal with.

Slippery
Slippery Dork
6/12/16 12:57 p.m.

I bought him the game, we opened an account and downloaded it.

Now I gotta figure out if I can pair some sort of controller like the WiiU has. Its a pain to play with the keyboard.

That game is pretty cool though. I have never been a huge fan of video games, but got hooked on it and wasted an hour yesterday

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/12/16 1:01 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: As in "Steam" owned by Valve. Its basically the gold standard of online game purchasing and they are really a good group to deal with.

This. Ive never had a problem with them, and i am ashamed to admit just how much money I've spent.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/12/16 1:02 p.m.
Slippery wrote: I bought him the game, we opened an account and downloaded it. Now I gotta figure out if I can pair some sort of controller like the WiiU has. Its a pain to play with the keyboard. That game is pretty cool though. I have never been a huge fan of video games, but got hooked on it and wasted an hour yesterday

Steam makes a controller, or go buy a corded xbox360 controller. Those are what most use.

failboat
failboat UberDork
6/15/16 11:35 a.m.

since you already have the Wii U controller(s), this is cheaper than buying another controller

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Wireless-Wii-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00E6553PW?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=AKIAIO22DD3AFUSKXUKQ&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00E6553PW&linkCode=xm2&tag=mak041-20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e9MvlrX9Oo2j6dRz54ejNfgOoEmNeSdh9pwD578D96mMaapwkhOfzugDhginMphs