1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/21/22 1:04 p.m.
Shadeux said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Me too. I was online and actually ranked pretty high in the stock category. 

I went by "rule" and all my cars were white.

I got my start in NFS high stakes. I had the corvette and it was pink. Got lots of flack for being Barbie pink but eventually I earned respect. 

Good times. When I'm in a nursing home I look forward to reliving it again.

Due to one particular incident in GT that caused the entire field to end up in the sand trap in T1 of Brands Hatch I have forever after been known as the "Tangerine Torpedo".  I am sticking with my story that the monitor cut out. . . . ;-)

And thanks to All Aircooled this livery has followed me ever since.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/21/22 3:46 p.m.

No continues. one wreck and you're done. $2.00 a game. In 1990. Let that sink in.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/21/22 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That is a bit pricey!!! But back then the cost of the machine was many thousands if not more.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/21/22 6:21 p.m.

Im old

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/21/22 6:39 p.m.

Sadly Rad Racer. I'd like to try iRacing but haven't committed to it and don't know if a reasonable way to try it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/21/22 6:52 p.m.
dean1484 said:

In reply to Appleseed :

That is a bit pricey!!! But back then the cost of the machine was many thousands if not more.

Weighed more, and cost more, than a new festiva. (Ok probably not but that thing was a BEAST)

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
5/4/22 12:08 p.m.

Probably the various Tokyo Xtreme Racer games (Zero, 3, Drift, Drift 2 on PS2 and Import Tuner Challenge on xbox 360) I am looking forward to Night Runners to come out which has the same basic vibe (Japan, late 90's, highway racing, all the customisation) so it should be a blast on pc. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/4/22 1:41 p.m.

I'll chime in, since I started this thread.

Gran Turismo and the Papyrus NASCAR Racing games definitely had a profound impact on my youth.

However, I also enjoyed Andretti Racing for the PS (it was surprisingly good), Dirt to Daytona for PS (awesome - I still play it on occasion), and Destruction Derby and Destruction Derby 2.

And, can we consider Mario Kart and F-Zero racing games?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/4/22 4:04 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Im old

I played a lot of Pole Position way back when.

My favorite arcade driving game was Hard Drivin' (which appears to be the precursor to the Race Drivin' game mentioned above).  The graphics were marginal at best, even for the era, but it was the best driving simulator of the era.  A 4 spd with a real 3rd pedal made it extra fun.  According to Wiki, the game cost $10K back in 1989.  If I ever have the space and means to build a proper "man cave", I will search out an original version (and then have to hire someone to update the computer hardware...).

I remember the per-play cost being quite a bit when the local arcade got it ($1 I think?), but after a while they dropped it to 50 cents and then it got a lot more use.  I pumped more quarters than I care to admit into it. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/9/22 8:00 a.m.

Another game I played a bunch was Sportscar GT.  One of the first PC racing sims with physics that hold up even today. I found my copy of it a while back and it runs on my current PC.  

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
5/9/22 8:29 a.m.

Either GT2 or Forza 2. The combination of free time and a racing game that just hooks me hasn't come up again since then. I still love them but never get the time in.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
6/14/22 4:15 p.m.

My go tos where I spent my time were Sportscar GT, GTR, and GTR2. But my absolute favorite racing game was and still is Hydro Thunder Hurricane...

Though not a Radhazard fan (Thresher X is my preferred boat to run), it's a good video:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/15/22 12:27 p.m.
jonely said:

This [Canoe Unpaddled] game has recently piqued my interest. It's a thrilling incline game. You may demonstrate your expertise by controlling a ball sliding down the Slope 2 Unblocked with fast-paced action.

This is the closest I found to a canoe racing game.  It actually looks fun:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/8/22 11:18 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

GT 3&4 no question.

Ah, the good old days.

Yeah, this.  I spent hours playing (and documenting) my runs through GT3 and GT4.

I hadn't really played video games in a while when we bought a PS2 and GT3 in the early 2000s.  I played GT3 a lot, ending up with the 3-play ending (awarded 3 F1 cars at the same time) and all golds on the license tests.  That's still the best of the series for actual game play, even though GT4 had a better track and car selection.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
7/13/22 4:20 a.m.

probably Gran Turismo. GT is the reason I bought a PS1. it was the only game I owned for like a year until I found out GT2 existed.

I got a GT3 edition PS2.

Stuck with the GT series until FM3 came out. Somehow I migrated over to Xbox and forza has been the thing ever since.

Horizon sucks tho.

michaeldeng
michaeldeng New Reader
7/26/22 12:28 a.m.

I wish I could say it's Assetto Corsa or some other sim, but in reality it's probably Need for Speed.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/15/22 8:45 a.m.

Because this got bumped.  Here's some stuff you guys who don't play AC with us are missing out on:

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/17/22 12:07 p.m.

For me it was Grand Prix Legends. My brother and I used to race over our LAN back in the day. I think it was one of the first racing games that made an honest attempt at realistic physics. Was also pretty mod friendly... By the time it faded away, the game we were playing was nothing like the original.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/17/22 12:09 p.m.
Brotus7 said:

For me it was Grand Prix Legends. My brother and I used to race over our LAN back in the day. I think it was one of the first racing games that made an honest attempt at realistic physics. Was also pretty mod friendly... By the time it faded away, the game we were playing was nothing like the original.

I'm pretty sure the mod that got me into sim racing was for this game.  Or F1 '99-02.

Edit: yeah F1 '99-02

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Editorial/Art Assistant
10/11/22 11:01 a.m.

Surprised no one has said "Cruis'n USA." I also played a lot of "Road Rash" on Sega Genesis.

Cruis'n USA Review - IGNRoad Rash: A brief history - Set The Tape

J.A. Ackley
10/20/22 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Sarah Young :

I forgot about Cruis'n USA. I played a lot of the Daytona USA arcade game.

Road Rash seems like fun. I enjoy games that encourage ... umm ... beating on opponents. Destruction Derby for the PS was a blast because of that.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/20/22 3:43 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Destruction Derby for the PS was a blast because of that.

This is on my PS Classic.  I tried to play it the other day... unplayable.  The graphics and frame rate are so bad.  It did not age well :(

J.A. Ackley
10/20/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Bummer. There was a Destruction Derby 2, too. That had better graphics, but I don't know how that would stand up, either, to what we're used to today.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J HalfDork
12/13/22 2:59 a.m.

I played the PS2 Turismo games solo, and 100% completed all of them. Then I got actual internet, and raced Forzas 2-4, then 6 and 7 online for hours every day until Christmas 2019 when my son built me a PC and got me hooked on iRacing. Now that's all I virtually race on, albeit not near as often as I did during the Covid-lockdown boom days. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/13/22 8:13 a.m.

GT2 on PS2 if i remember right.  Play a while for points and end up building a supra with all the power to kill everything. and then i quit playing video games. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5FsK5s3a6kBbkrYw7biXe65Wgh9hWqBfb0sLXer0KRSMcCTupAFun37H6uIAAk56