5 6 7 8
TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
9/27/19 3:30 p.m.

I've been using a Gatecrasher (70's Monte?) that has all the engine upgrades and is gutted of all armor. It's still got a 5.7 strength so it is plenty strong enough for most races, but it also is fast enough to beat most cars down the straights. Turning is more a method of "lock the brakes, swing the rear end around, and hammer the gas". I've gotten wrecked a few times in very aggressive races.

Once I get the money I want to buy a Speedbird (Firebird), as it is the only thing faster than my Gatecrasher besides the Venom (Corvette) so far.

Also, the Firefly (Saab) is completely useless as anything but a drag car with the "full engine, gutted" build. It doesn't even try to turn and is super fragile. The Bulldog (fat-fendered Volvo) is way too loose, top heavy, and fragile as well (1.7 I believe). I'm not a fan of the old Skyline either once it is fully upgraded/gutted.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/29/19 4:12 p.m.

In my experience with the Mad Max car (Dominator?), the only way to make it turn decent in tight turns is to do a serious amount of trail braking and lots of late apexing. You can throttle steer them a bit but you have to be very gentle.

The little RX3 / Capri looking car is great handling car with most corners taken with throttle lift oversteer (probably the best way to corner the cars in this game).  It’s a bit slower in the straights (with full upgrades) than the Mad Max car, but much faster in the corners (and of course a lot lighter).  

I have noticed that some of the AI cars will punch way above their weight.  I have been blasted off the road by one of those little fiat things in the Mad Max car, and it has to be way heavier.  I also had a fun little moment when a station wagon decided it was better to full on kamikaze me than fight for second, I saw it coming (big wind up), hit the brakes, and he went straight into the wall!

I have also noticed the long race trend continues. In most races that are 6 laps, you generally end up being one of the few cars left!  This might be helped by my tactic of trying to create a CF in the first corner if possible.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/30/19 7:34 p.m.

I haven't actually played in a few weeks. Between feeling like E36 M3, pre-occupied with other projects, and for some reason, attempting both GTA and Forza again- I benched this one. I'm waiting for private lobbies. 

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
10/3/19 10:55 a.m.

Thanks to some grinding (setting up 60-lap races at deathloop against lawn mowers) I now have a fully built Speedbird and a Boomer. Speedbird is insanely quick and also insanely loose... so I'm cheating and running traction control. Unless I get crashed, I win probably half the online races I am in now.

And now I'm building a Hammerhead (Volvo wagon) because... I can.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
10/20/19 11:24 a.m.

Now I've been playing with the Rocket (Mustang) as a gutted/full power car and it is also very good.

Any idea when the 2nd car pack is coming to console?

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/22/19 10:38 p.m.

The 2nd car pack dropped today, along with new skins/designs, and  new roof top junk.

artur1808
artur1808 Reader
10/23/19 10:23 a.m.

I just got this game for Xbox One and I must say, I really like the combination of borderline-arcade-y game styles mixed with forza-type user interface and menus. My only gripe is the long loading screens, and I've had a couple of graphics glitches, but overall it's been great! 

Having watched some of the scandanavian "folk racing" videos online, I'm thrilled to now have a game that seems to simulate this pretty well. 

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
10/29/19 3:02 p.m.

So, sort of off topic but does anyone know where they do this sort of racing in the US?
Slinger Speedway in Slinger, WI does Figure 8s but honestly they are pretty tame, the races are really short, and they pretty much don't allow collisions in the X...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/29/19 3:13 p.m.

In reply to TheRX7Project :

Never seem anything like it here. Banger racing is definitely British. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/31/19 6:25 p.m.

https://youtu.be/AOBrkpdY2U0

New update.  Private lobbies, faster load times, new tracks.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/31/19 8:02 p.m.

private lobbies? ABOUT berkeleyING TIME

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
10/31/19 8:42 p.m.

I was wondering what the 4GB update was today

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
11/1/19 2:09 p.m.

So when is everybody available? Tonight is no good for me, but the rest of the weekend is fairly open. Weekdays after 8pm are still wide open too. 

Now that we can do our own custom stuff I think we should. Maybe even setup a season on the forum if there are enough people.

I still haven't unlocked the last part of career. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
11/1/19 2:17 p.m.

I suppose I should buy this...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/1/19 3:08 p.m.

Usually after 7p EST. Tuesdays will generally work best. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/1/19 6:05 p.m.

I am guessing the private room are divided by PC/XBox/PS4, right?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/1/19 9:41 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Afaik, yes. Sad part is, most of us active ones are Xbox. 

Frankringer
Frankringer
11/4/19 12:31 a.m.

That was nice thought.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/4/19 7:27 p.m.

FYI: Wreckfest is $15.99 on Steam right now. I finally caved and got the PC version. It's downloading right now. devil

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
11/5/19 7:27 a.m.

I'm usually on late weeknights (after 9pm CST) when I'm off the next day (right now usually Wed and Thu nights), or when my kid is at school on days I'm off (9-10:30am, Thu + Fri).
XBGT: StayFocused420

I wish there were custom public lobbies, why is that too much to ask for in any racing game anymore?

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
11/5/19 1:04 p.m.

Early online verdict, my opinion.

We need more humans. The low bot limit kinda sucks. With 3 of us, we had 7 total in the race, kinda meh.

The RV is surprisingly durable in demo derby. 

It has promise but we need people. I wonder if they'll ever consider crossplay between consoles, be nice to get the ps4 and PC groups involved to get numbers up.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/5/19 1:42 p.m.

Alright, so we tried private lobbies. 

Verdict? We need more people. It only let us have 4 ai cars, and with racerfink, myself, and revrico- it got lonely fast. However, that appears to be the only real downside. You can bring whatever the hell you want to whatever race you want. There was a derby where rico was in a bus, i was in a motorhome, and fink was in.... a regular car! Many laughs were had.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
11/5/19 1:46 p.m.

Fine, I'll get it. Tonight?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/5/19 1:56 p.m.

I could be bribed. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
11/5/19 1:58 p.m.

Man this 2nd shift nonsense is getting annoying...

5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hhdyhM1j1qOjMQNze7ZXpQWd8bwyLRB4QsiEcPT8qeZ2IvYyuOYQcevM50lfwOdd