1 2
Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/29/10 8:09 a.m.

The one in the photo may have been from an XL. I'm pretty sure they were the same, save for the tire and the electrical system.

drrigg
drrigg New Reader
11/1/10 9:29 p.m.

Just bought an 83 XR350 yesterday. I want to make it street legal. What would be involved in making it an XL?

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/2/10 6:03 a.m.

In reply to drrigg:

Gear ratios are different in the engine of the XL's vs XR's.

If lights and brake lights are what you are after, rig the tail light brake switch up (the boss should still be on the frame, and if you are braking correctly you should be using both so you only need it.) Other than that you can get the whole kit, if not contact Jim's Motorcycle Sales in Johnson City, TN. We built a bunch of them for sale, but I think a company has come out with a bolt on kit now. They cover just about everyone at that shop and have been around 85 years.

If you want to adjust your ratio to something more street friendly with your sprockets. Keep your sprockets odd numbers or they will wear out, (master link cuts the sprockets, happen more on street bikes because of the increased mileage and velocity.)

I have seen alot of knobbies used on this conversion and don't recommend them. Wet asphalt + Knobbies = road rash. Go with a soft compound DS tire. We used alot of Kenda's for that app. Worked real well on a 700cc Honda DS (XR650L with big bore kit for a 600R)

If memory serves you should have a suitable head light. You can always go bigger if you want. Many kits available.

In Tennessee hand signals will suffice so you don't need turn signals. I don't know where you are so check with your local ostrichfer, (ps, don't call them that to their face, you will get a DUI check every time.)

Because horn specifications aren't real stringent in TN, we used a bicycle bulb style Honk horn.

Drill two holes and use bolts with nylock nuts to hold the license plate to the back fender. Don't use tape! Cops tend to get pissy and will pull you over to check vin and registration.

I think that covers it all.

Have fun good luck!

This is usually where I say stay out of the ditches but in this case, that is too much fun.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
11/2/10 12:19 p.m.

I traded the bike that is the subject of this post for a push mower and $50 about two weeks ago.

Clem

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/6/10 9:26 p.m.
drrigg wrote: Just bought an 83 XR350 yesterday. I want to make it street legal. What would be involved in making it an XL?

Dood, an XR350? Those are pretty rare. The rarest is the '85, that one had the single carb, 21" front wheel (not 23") and a really cool electronic speedometer/odometer.

It shouldn't be hard to DS, at least not from a wrenching standpoint. Lots of XL 250 through 500 stuff can be used, it's plentiful and cheap used. OTOH, the legality stuff depends on the state you are in. Dirt bikes have the VIN coded for off road use only and some states throw a hissy fit about that.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/8/10 12:13 p.m.

Having a truck is a recipe for things following you home BTW.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p29k4Bwhffd2jXHV1PZKTdzX0pbmoQubxZSrluaz9TbesC1I2BhblP1JPMRpFIla