DanielCut
DanielCut Reader
10/27/16 2:41 p.m.

Just wondering if there's anybody here that's into bikes but only does track riding. I've been thinking of shifting the cars to mostly autoX and picking up a bike to do track time with as a way of cutting some costs. I did some street riding back in college but lately with kids and considering how the local traffic here just does NOT see bikes, the added danger of street riding doesn't appeal to me.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
10/27/16 4:01 p.m.

Track riding make you a better street rider. but I would never give up street riding. Although I pretty much only ride down in southern Ohio and West Virginia, I don't find commuting or city riding that much fun.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/27/16 5:06 p.m.

Going track-only means making it harder to go for a ride. I'll keep it to a couple two wheel track days and a couple hundred two wheel regular days.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
10/29/16 7:58 a.m.

I race, street scares me. In the past I commuted on my bike. Helmet, gloves, work boots, jeans, and a shirt appropriate for the weather. Two close calls in one night, cat and a racoon or skunk shortly after, and knowing the jeans were good for 6 inches compared to 150 feet for my leathers did me in.

The cars and drone of the commute into work was no fun either.

Track days run about 225, been a while could be more, around here (loudon), I have done a few, good performance street tires will do and should last a bit. Racing runs me about 450 a weekend, three races, transponder rental, gas, and a rear tire(race compound dot) every other weekend and a front every 3 weekends, and camping(50 bucks at the track for 2 nights), cheaper than a hotel and I like the extra sleep from not having to drive home and back to the track. I don't include food as when not racing I still have to eat.

I find the other racers to be great and helpful. Nothing like one of your competitors coming over to help you get your bike back in race condition for the next race after a crash.

I like the lightweight bikes, even though I am not a light weight at 200 lbs. 300 are too small for me, I have a 2000 sv650. Original motor never opened, exhaust and $10 online do-it-yourself jet kit. The bike with me on it is fast enough to be an amateur class winner in GTL, lightweight Super Sport, and lightweight Superbike. Before a few years of retirement I was an expert and it was a upper middle of the pack expert finisher. It's easier on tires then a four cylinder 600cc bike but it's still a ton of fun and you don't need to upgrade to the latest bike every couple years. I've had the same bike since 2002, take away the six-year layoff that's 8 years and 7 events each year and more to go it's a pretty bulletproof bike with basic maintenance.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
10/29/16 10:51 p.m.

I used to ride anywhere and everywhere, got full custody of my kids and decided it wasn't worth it anymore. I hit 1-2 track days a month through the riding season at PIR. I ride a Ducati supersport and am building a 999 right now. Track days cost around $200 here and I can make a set of tires last a season. It scratches the itch and it's cheaper than tracking a car. Also, track bikes are nice and cheap. I'd say go for it, it's the most fun I've had on the track.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ag0JtN0OLrh5zg7tJMdtxj3KpkMnBcoTpqM503yWCPFNAP00q6itve2htgY8Hpqz