David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/4/10 7:26 p.m.

Okay, time to do some work on my Cannondale. I have that new headset, and I'd like to go over the entire bike. When I worked at a shop a million years ago, we had these awesome work stands. Each one weighed at least a thousand pounds. While awesome, I'd rather go with something that takes up less space. So, what's the hot setup for the home bike mechanic?

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
8/4/10 7:36 p.m.

as someone whos dd is a ten speed, i have never had a need for a stand. if ur messin with the bottom bracket just flip it, pretty much anything else its a non issue

Marty!
Marty! Dork
8/4/10 7:38 p.m.

Just about any Park Tools stand should fit the bill. Figure about $150 for their cheapest up to $350 for their best home stand.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/4/10 9:16 p.m.

I've got one of these. Folds up nice and small, stable enough for my mountain bike. Light, too, cuz it's made of aluminium. I've also got a tool tray for it. A gift from my lovely wife, and so I use it for her bikes too. It only seems fair

Feedback Sports bike repair stand

I worked without a stand for a couple of decades, and that includes rebuilding bikes right down to the pawls in the freewheel. Yeah, you can do it. But it's a lot nicer to have the bike at a work height.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/5/10 7:55 a.m.

DIY $25 bike stand - http://www.tomhoppe.com/index.php/2009/11/my-first-welding-project-25-bike-repair-stand/ http://roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?p=643756&highlight=stand#post643756

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/5/10 10:07 a.m.
Keith wrote: I've got one of these. Folds up nice and small, stable enough for my mountain bike. Feedback Sports bike repair stand

Since Park no longer sells the stand I have (PRS-5; uses the same clamp as the pro-shop stand, but in a folding package), this is the one I usually recommend.

If I'm ever able to set up a dedicated bike wrenching area, I'd get a Park professional shop stand. That 90 lb steel base makes a huge difference, although I have this crazy idea for hanging the stand from the ceiling and making it retractable to it can be raised when not in use.

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
8/5/10 11:30 p.m.

I'm not a huge fan of the frame clamp type stands. You'll have to be careful if you clamp the frame as some aluminum frames can be crimped by the clamp.

I've been using one of these since it came out:

Much nicer for bottom bracket repairs and holds the bike fairly solid.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
8/5/10 11:55 p.m.

At Bontrager we would hole saw with the appropriate diameter through two 4" pieces of clamped 2 x 4 shimmed apart by 20 sheets of paper (or whatever waste-able material). The two pieces of wood ended up with a half diameter bore through each that when put together would clamp a top or down tube. We screwed leather or nylon strap to each to make a living hinge. If you have a vice on a bench in the right spot and the right hole saw BOOM!! dirt cheap bike stand. Of course you can crush a tube with a big old vice. brains required. will not work on compound curve hydro formed carbon fiber super duper alloy unobtainium ect ect hold me harmless.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/6/10 12:01 p.m.
asterisk wrote: I'm not a huge fan of the frame clamp type stands. You'll have to be careful if you clamp the frame as some aluminum frames can be crimped by the clamp. I've been using one of these since it came out: Much nicer for bottom bracket repairs and holds the bike fairly solid.

Not a bad stand for doing tune-ups, but for building? How do you hold the frame w/o a fork?

I've never clamped a bike in a stand by the frame. Always via the seat post. Even when I'm building a bike from a bare frame (which I will be doing shortly to my new Jet 9), the seat post is the first part installed so it can get clamped into the stand. Then headset, fork, drive train, brakes, etc...

fifty
fifty Reader
8/6/10 12:42 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: DIY $25 bike stand - http://www.tomhoppe.com/index.php/2009/11/my-first-welding-project-25-bike-repair-stand/ http://roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?p=643756&highlight=stand#post643756

That's similar to what I have - I found the portable ones not sturdy enough for pulling a bottom bracket etc. I think Park Tools also sells a sturdy, cheaper bench mounted clamp.

fifty
fifty Reader
8/6/10 12:42 p.m.
asterisk wrote: I'm not a huge fan of the frame clamp type stands. You'll have to be careful if you clamp the frame as some aluminum frames can be crimped by the clamp.

Clamp the seatpost, not the frame.

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
8/6/10 4:25 p.m.
fifty wrote: Clamp the seatpost, not the frame.

While this is now more possible thanks to compact geometry it was harder in the days when there was usually only a handful of seatpost showing and shop rats didn't care to take the time to extend it.

Ian F wrote: Not a bad stand for doing tune-ups, but for building? How do you hold the frame w/o a fork?

You can clamp the rear dropouts to the stand, not just the fork. There is even a small round bit next to the skewer to run the chain over.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/7/10 12:06 p.m.

Thanks for the advice. I have a workbench, so maybe something like the Park PCS-12 is the right answer.

petegossett
petegossett SuperDork
8/8/10 9:12 p.m.

FYI I bought a cheap workbench stand from Price Point for ~$35. While nice for holding a bike, you really can't rotate the cranks a full 360* with the pedal attached.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jni8IhqEpbBmv1g9e2xWzt4fFReOWQ47cuNP5M32nsoEkthueG8RBr3aBiF0Kpwg