1 2 3
Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/6/12 7:13 a.m.

Good news. I reinstalled my newly cleaned, unclogged carbs and the bike runs much better. I have not had it on the road as it was late when I fixed it, but the engine idles normally, the exhuast note is back to normal and the throttle response is great. I must have clogged something when it flooded.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
6/6/12 10:24 a.m.

its wheelie time

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/6/12 8:29 p.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf:

I rode it today any it was 90% back. I felt a slight miss in and it was coming form the middle cylinder. I installed thre new plugs and it is indeed wheelie time. She is back!!!!!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/9/12 5:01 p.m.

Out(wheel)standing!

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
7/7/12 8:10 p.m.

Was out riding today in 92 degree heat and the power began to drop off pretty significantly during the second half of my ride. I let it cool down in the garage (with a fan blowinmg on the engine) and it seemed better when I rode it around my development. However, low RPM throttle response is poor again.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
7/10/12 2:45 p.m.

The old two-strokes like to be ridden in the upper RPM range. If I putt around on my R5 at less than 4,000rpm it starts to "load-up" and it takes a bit of high RPM riding to get the plug burned-off clean, and get throttle response back where it should be.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
7/15/12 9:33 p.m.

So what is a good rpm range? I want to run the engine in the range in which it is most happy.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
8/22/12 10:31 p.m.

Sorry it took so long for me to answer, for some reason my browser wasn't liking the site.

My R5's manual recommends staying in the 3500-7500 rpm range, and while riding I have found this to be true. It will putt around for a while at low rpm, but then it needs a throttle "blip" to clean things up or it starts running rough.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dAT2fhZKzHzCK9Fb25Akoxc1jkbf85SkCqOsW8pezrdbkI7IjIMJCb507KnhCOlO