BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim MegaDork
3/13/18 3:06 p.m.

I've been offered what looks like a pretty good condition survivor TT500 in trade for my GL 1000. Haven't laid eyes on the bike itself yet as the weather isn't as cooperative as both the seller and I were hoping.

It looks like the all important parts like the tank are in good shape. It has an aftermarket (Supertrapp) exhaust and according to the seller, OEM style aftermarket front and year fenders. I know about the top end issues due to the oiling issue, don't know if that's been addressed yet or still needs to be addressed.

Anything else I'd need to look into?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
3/13/18 6:00 p.m.

I am far from an expert, but love thumpers, and have some experience with Yamaha XT/TTs.

TT may have an aluminum tank ($).

Magnesium case. 

They are dry sump, so you have to confirm oil flow at changes by removing a small screw, and watching til oil comes out. If you ever have to coast/tow it a long way, you could lock up your transmission (dry sump strikes again).

If the oil has been changed, they are pretty bulletproof. Fairly highly sought after, these days. 

Does it have a title/light kit. Obviously can be problematic if street riding is in the plan.

BoxheadCougarTim
3/13/18 6:02 p.m.

No light kit, and before I make a decision I will check that it has a title.

I don't mind piecing together a light kit, but I'm staying away from vehicles without titles...

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
3/13/18 9:19 p.m.

Ever kick start a big single? Technique matters. I put my XT 550 together with no key. I figured if someone could start it, he could have it. Still got it 20 years later. 

I'm not sure that SR/XT stator, etc is adaptable to a TT. They had zero lights factory. Only enough electrons to make spark, I believe. Definitely do research before agreeing. Early Goldwings are picking up these days, too.

BoxheadCougarTim
3/13/18 11:16 p.m.

Yep, I've kick started and ridden an SR500. Plus the two Morinis I have are kickstart only.

Heck, I've kick started a CB750 .

Re the values - according to Hagerty I'm sitting on a few hundred bucks worth of profit for this. But apparently nice TT500s are only worth about $500-600 less, which came as a surprise to me.

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
4/22/18 8:13 a.m.

I would make the trade. I have been watching Oldwings, and have two SR500s, an XT and a TT500.  The Oldwings languish for months on CL, and the Yamaha thumpers sell within days. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
THrpijYZpiKEn05gt7rsGwhHThOq5v8ZvBD0HQKmds39Tt6zpyE9WQdWzA4XcWzE