1 2
wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/14/10 12:33 p.m.

My network of car friends is just too darn efficient.

I just got back from Italy and was intrigued by the older Ducatis I saw there... all I've been aware of here are the newer cafe-racer types.

So I'm browsing Craiglist and come across an uber-rare early 60's Ducati Brio 100cc scooter project... dirt cheap...

Now I'm NOT a street bike guy... have never even had a motorcycle license and little desire to pursue one... but I do have a few old interesting mopeds/scooters AND being a Ducati fan, so what a great combination. Right?

So the Brio is missing some body panels (not necessary to ride, but really important for the "vintage scooter" look) so I email my Milano cousin for potential Itailian sources... he sends back a few Ducati websites. All coming together...

Except I'm on the websites and checking out these sweet 60's and 70's single cylinder 250cc/350cc Ducatis that seem to be priced pretty reasonably... so I email a buddy (whose son works in a bike shop and owns a couple of late model Ducatis) to see what they would recommend I look for...

But my next email is from one of my buddy's friends... turns out he has a 70's Ducati for sale! But is it one like I'm looking for? Nope, it's a jaw-droppingly beautiful superbike, a bevel drive desmo valved Darmah 900. Low miles, perfect condition.

Now I figure having a bike like this as a first street bike is akin to giving a 16 year old a Porsche 911 turbo.... so I decide as much as I am attracted to the bike (both the technical aspects and the vintage muscle bike appearance), I'd better pass.

Then the guy emails me back (having checked out my website) and offers to trade me the 900 for a car I have for sale... obviously I can't refuse that that deal!

So in the space of a few days I've now become the owner of two Ducatis (yes, I bought the old Brio as well... so any potential parts sources would be greatly appreciated).

Am I insane? (I've already used up the "midlife crisis" excuse on too many previous car purchases).

Should I think about buying a cheap small displacement bike to get some street seat time or jump straight onto the 900?

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
8/14/10 12:50 p.m.

Stp one:get the license

Step two: Take the driving school for bikes. Do above before "just taking the 900 around the block."

Yes, you are the 16-year old that just got the 930 turbo. I hate you.

Congrats on the acquistitions.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/14/10 1:01 p.m.

Thanks!

In MD if you take one of their "approved" driving schools, finishing that automatically gets you the license. (Is this the sort of school you're recommending or something else?)

They offer various school options, from "raw beginner" to "it's been a few years"...

Even though I've ridden bikes (offroad) for years and could likely pass the license test itself without the school, I planned on signing up for the most intensive 'beginner' school.

Guess I also get to start shopping for gear... all of my helmets are automotive...

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
8/14/10 1:04 p.m.

^what he said.

By the way I hate you! jk congrats

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
8/14/10 3:01 p.m.

Ducati?

You've doomed for life.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
8/14/10 7:26 p.m.

I'd buy a cheap bike and use the Duck as an art piece in your living room for a little while. You'll cry when you drop it otherwise.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
8/14/10 8:07 p.m.

Two really terrific scores! Plan on keeping them both, and taking the state approved course.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/14/10 8:18 p.m.

Any recommendations on a cheap learner bike? (I have two Honda 200's already... bought to repower my Berkeley while I rebuild the Excelsior engine that i blew up playing with a friend and his Mini... but no titles on those)

Bonus points for uniqueness. BSA, etc...

The Duc seller knows of a local 100cc Duc ($2k) but that's a lot of money for little more power than my mopeds (BSA Ariel 3, Honda Gyro, Honda Gyro S)

Bill

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
8/14/10 10:40 p.m.

Step one: Buy a big insurance policy name me as beneficiary. Step two:Strap a Honda to each foot,early on a dewy morning in the local Wallymart parking lot. Step three:Dodge shopping carts with both Hondas gagged wide open while blind folded, sipping a slurpee,texting your girlfriend while your hair is on fire. This may prepare you for the ride, Otherwise park it in your living room and congratulate your wife on her impeccable taste in furniture.Congratulations!

Eb4Prez
Eb4Prez New Reader
8/15/10 11:03 a.m.

You need to buy my '78 Honda Hawk to learn on!! It has the same riding position, and just as heavy as the Duc, with only half the horsepower! It even has two busted turn signal lenses already so you don't have to worry about dropping it. At $700 it's a winner!

Mental
Mental SuperDork
8/15/10 11:06 p.m.
triumph5 wrote: Stp one:get the license Step two: Take the driving school for bikes. Do above before "just taking the 900 around the block." Yes, you are the 16-year old that just got the 930 turbo. I hate you. Congrats on the acquistitions.

Feel free to swap one and two, but do them both before taking the old Duc out. The Motorcycle safety Foundation wedsite is a great place to start.

Now, get us some pics

Eneltoo
Eneltoo New Reader
8/15/10 11:33 p.m.

The motorcycle course will run you about $200 to $300 (I've usually seen it for $250). It's a 3 day course, one day of class and two course riding. They usually run you around on little 250cc's like a Honda Rebel. Make sure you get all of the appropriate riding gear. There are a lot of good places, I like newenough.com.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/16/10 9:51 a.m.

Thanks for the comments.

I have the Brio in my hands: http://fnader.com/Brio.htm but likely won't have the Darmah for a month or so.

Gives me plenty of time to get signed up for school and to gear up (apparently lots of craigslist gear out there, though I just ordered myself a new helmet... that's something I don't buy used).

So, we're all in agreement I need the school... but there seems to be some disagreement on whether I should consider a "starter" bike before going straight to the Ducati. (At least one offline message suggested one but mainly so I'd have something to ride whilst fixing the 900! )

The Hawk sounds like a good fit, but in the wrong place. But I'm thinking I could spend slightly more and get something a bit more interesting... currently looking at a heavily maintained needing nothing BMW R65 for slightly under $2000. Thoughts?

Thanks again! Bill

Sonic
Sonic Dork
8/16/10 5:16 p.m.

A starter bike couldn't hurt, just make sure to get something common enough to have a good market. I'm about to list my Ninja250 for sale as I just got an SV650, and expect to get at least what I paid for it when I bought it nearly 2 years ago.

Actually, I'm not far from you, near Reading, PA. The bike is a perfect starter bike, turnkey, cheap, and will be easy to unload when you feel comfortable with the Duc.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
8/16/10 5:38 p.m.

I used to have a Darmah 900SS that I sold last year in anticipation of the move.

I'm not one of those 'born' bikers, but I used to do fairly high mileage and plan to do that again as soon as I get my US license sorted out.

Trust me, get a starter bike - 900 Darmahs aren't that easy to handle if you've got no experience. The controls are quite heavy, it might have the gear change on the wrong foot (ie, foot controls swapped over) depending on the year, it's got the turning circle of an oil tanker and, as they're quite long, it doesn't exactly change direction at the top of a hat.

Great bikes, though .

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/16/10 7:35 p.m.

Good advice from all; thanks.

It sounds a whole lot like my old 308... not that fast, not that nimble, heavy to drive, etc. As long as I enjoy driving it as much as my 308, then it will be a good match!

I'm going to look at the (female doctor owned) R65 tomorrow... unless somebody can tell me that would be a bad idea, I could see keeping it in addition to the Ducati rather than just as a prelude to it... just like I daily drive a BMW car rather than an Italian station...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
8/16/10 8:56 p.m.

BMW R series are a little quirky but otherwise OK. Couple of things to note:

• Check if there are oil drips at the seam between gearbox and engine. If there are, the rear crank seal is shot, which is a fun job as you have to take the (heavy) gearbox out to get at it
  • Check if you can see that the 'star' nuts that hold the exhausts to the heads are in good condition. If they look like someone's had a go at them with a hammer, the threads are mostly likely shot. Also, do yourself a favour and buy the correct spanner to undo them
  • If the carbs leak, pull the float bowls and check for a reddish deposit in them. If there is some, the tank lining is coming off and the whole fuel system needs cleaning plus the tank resealing.
  • The R45 & R65 are a completely different bike to the R75/R80/R100 series and there isn't much in the way of parts interchangeability. Keep this in mind if it needs parts.
  • Batteries tend to be big, expensive and mainly BMW only
  • The valves always rattle a little, I'd be worried if they don't, even though they got more quiet on the later ones

That's all I can think of now for BMW-specific stuff. Usual bike stuff like head races, swingarm bearings etc obviously need checking as well.

flountown
flountown New Reader
8/17/10 11:11 a.m.

If you are located in PA, the Motorcycle Safety Course is inclusive when you pay your 10 dollar permit fee, and the course also administers your license test. It couldn't be easier. The hardest part is you have to register well in advance depending on your area, as they fill up rather quickly.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/18/10 7:02 p.m.

Ended up with the R65. Has a few more issues than advertised (don't they all?) but the bike ran and drove great, lots of recent service (carbs, etc), miles were right (25k), and the price was soft... and the woman doctor seller going through a nasty divorce was super-cute!

http://fnader.com/r65.htm

Just riding around my driveway/field I'm already comfortable with the weight/power/handling... of course over 30mph might be a little different story. ;-)

In all though I think it will be a good choice for a non-disposable learner bike.... thanks again for all the advice!

Bill

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
8/18/10 10:27 p.m.

So, you went from zero to three motorcycles in five days. Very nice work.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/19/10 11:38 a.m.

My wife is currently out of the country... she will be majorly ticked when she returns. But her guidance was clear: "Don't buy any more cars while I'm gone"...

;-)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
8/19/10 2:48 p.m.

Just hide them under some old blankets.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
8/19/10 3:17 p.m.

Looks pretty clean, wants some side panels but they should be pretty cheap on fleabay. I'd also try and get a set of pannier frames + panniers for it, that way they make pretty decent commuters.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
9/8/10 10:54 a.m.

The Ducati Darmah just got delivered last night and as promised, here are some pix... http://www.fnader.com/Ducati.htm

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/8/10 11:18 a.m.

In reply to wcelliot:

That is a SWEET vintage Duck!

You need to listen to some vintage music when wrenching on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOO-SYzpsz4

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gb1bWrmiAHDDTwdVWVigO6gEeNu60HlH5DkUR9reVTA6pov9YOcIe0jS11iRfuEM