Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/21/12 1:58 p.m.

So I started looking at 50cc scooters (street legal in CT) just to buzz around town on and occasionally commute to work (~3 mi). I found the Honda ruckus which lead me to the Madass 125 which then lead me to the Sym Wolf 150. I've never been a big motorcycle guy but I have a soft spot for small displacement vintage cafe style bikes. For the past two weeks I've been drooling over 70s/80s era small displacement cafe style motorcycles and I've decided to do the MSF and get licensed. I'm hoping someone can talk me into or out of buying a 70s Honda or Yamaha 200cc-ish bike to learn on and eventually transform to more of a cafe style.

Something like this Yamaha is exactly what I would hope to eventually end up with. It's a 79 Yamaha RD200, I've been browsing CL and they can be had for $1000-1500.

My concern is whether a vintage motorcycle is a poor choice for a beginner in terms of learning skills. Second, I don't mind wrenching on my toys, but if it will constantly be breaking I'm probably not interested. I realize that a 35 year old motorcycle is less reliable than a 2 year old motorcycle, but are these old 70s Hondas and Yamahas relatively reliable?

I've done enough reading to know that the go-to bike for beginners is the Ninja 250R but I have zero interest in sport bikes. Can anyone recommend a fairly new, small displacement non-sport bike that can be had in the sub $2k range? I really like the Sym Wolf 150 and Suzuki TU250X but both are too new and a bit out of my price range.

rotard
rotard Dork
8/21/12 2:07 p.m.

An old Honda Rebel? A GS500? GPz550? You're really neutering your choices by leaving out "sport bikes." Also, pretty much any 70's motorcycle in your price range will have all kinds of issues you'll need to iron out.

Real world advice: try to find a decent SV650.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/21/12 2:14 p.m.

Isn't the RD that hot rod two stroke?

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/21/12 2:21 p.m.

The RD is a two stroke, but they're rate at 22HP so I'm not sure it's much of a hot rod unless I'm missing something. A modern ninja 250R is rated at 26HP, weight is slightly more but similar.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
8/21/12 2:27 p.m.

CM200t Twinstar. Rebel's older brother. Dead nuts simple. Tough as nails and when you get tired of it, sell it in the spring for what you had into it.

Go for an 81 or 82 as they were 12 volts. Get a lower handle bar from Bikebandit for $25 and ride,

Only "bad" thing is exact fit tires are a pain, I think Shinko makes them.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/3141276762.html

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/21/12 4:11 p.m.

I'd pay the money for the TU250X. Fuel injection, disc brakes and pretty much bulletproof.

Or, for about the same or slightly more you can get a Triumph Bonneville with faux carbs.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
8/21/12 6:06 p.m.

McQueen edition huh?

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/21/12 6:18 p.m.

The McQueen version looks pretty sweet. Is that a skid plate I see for 60s style off road shenanigans? Bonneville is 865cc though, wayyy too big for what I'm looking for.

Thanks Appleseed, that looks like a pretty good deal I might have to call and see if he still has it. That's right in my backyard too, not sure how I missed that one.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/21/12 6:25 p.m.

You don't want a 30 year old two stroke as your first street bike.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
8/21/12 6:44 p.m.

250 is a great starting place, choose your flavor of used late model 4 cycle sport or cruiser type... I'd really be thinking the Ninja or CBR tho.

70's era 2 strokes, as well as older 4 strokes can be finnicky and a drawback if you just wanna ride now, learn skills and get the license done with... but nothing a winter resto project and sorting out can't prolly fix.

Depending on your area and condition of used older bikes I would entertain the idea of a KZ or GPz 550.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/21/12 7:46 p.m.

I had a GPz 550 and I wouldn't suggest one of those as a first bike either.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/21/12 7:49 p.m.

For a vintage first bike, you may want to look for a CM 450. You should be able to find a nice one for about $500 and they have some cafe potential.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/22/12 5:48 a.m.
Stargazer wrote: The McQueen version looks pretty sweet. Is that a skid plate I see for 60s style off road shenanigans? Bonneville is 865cc though, wayyy too big for what I'm looking for.

I knew that when I posted it, but in it's defense they don't feel like a big bike at all. Not OMG heavy like most larger displacement rides. It is, however, probably overkill for the riding you describe. Much like the TU250x, I have an unhealthy lust for the Bonne and just hope someone else buys one so I can live vicariously.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
8/22/12 2:51 p.m.

another option (new) from cleveland cycle werks. 250cc thumper.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/22/12 7:06 p.m.

End of thread. CSC Cycles

4eyes
4eyes Dork
8/22/12 10:47 p.m.

If I were learning again, I would buy this:HONDA

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
8/23/12 9:45 a.m.

I just went through this and ended up with 1965 Honda S65. It is tons of fun, and I've found that 6 HP is enough tp wheelie in second gear (and to flip me off the bike when I'm trying to get it to run and accidently dump the clutch with the throttle half open). I like it because its vintage cool, is about as complicated as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and Honda parts are pretty available.

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/23/12 10:04 a.m.

I started looking at dual sports and supermotos after reading the thread below this, I would definitely be OK with something like a Yamaha TW200. How do these compare to 250 Ninjas in terms of a noob trying to learn? This popped up on CL a few town over, asking $1600. Hrmm

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
8/23/12 10:09 a.m.

Everybody I know who has had a KTM has had problems with them. Not something I'd recommend to a first time rider.

I'd be looking for an older Honda - like an 80s CB250 or CB400 - as they are rather robust bikes if looked after. Dirt bikes/dual sports are an option but a lot of them have seen more abuse than a comparable street bike. But you can find good clean ones.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
8/23/12 11:53 a.m.

For a new rider, a TW200 is about the perfect bike, if you don't plan on any highway riding. It is insanely easy to balance, great low speed stability, and its still highly manueverable at a low speed. It just doesn't go very fast. If they have a variety of bikes at the MSF course, try sitting on all of them. They'll probably still want you to do all the class on one bike (with good reason), but at least you might get a feel for the various bikes.

For under 2K, I'd think dual sports are going to be rare, but standards and cruisers should be easy to find:

-Honda Rebel 250 (as stated above), also made a 450 version for a while

-Honda Nighthawk 250 (or 450)

-Suzuki GZ250 - I seem to recall this one fit taller riders better than the Rebel did. I think it also had a vacuum operated switch for the fuel, so no forgetting to close or open the petcock.

Yamaha V-Star 250 (Virago 250) - another small cruiser.

Suzuki DR200 - another light dual sport, but bigger than the TW200

And if you end up prefering cruisers, but want some more displacement, check out the Suzuki S40 (or its older name, can't remember right now). Its a 650cc thumper, so has enough power for highway riding, though I've heard it gets a little windblown at speed.

All the above bikes are either in production, or parts are still very easy to come by for them, and with some hunting should be able to be found for under 2K.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/23/12 1:06 p.m.

I don't think that a new rider needs or wants 1/3 of his body weight on the bars, as you would find on a Ninja 250 or EX500. It's neither fun nor conducive to skill development.

Dual sport bikes are perfect for learning how to ride.

Dav
Dav New Reader
9/7/12 7:16 p.m.
Woody wrote: I don't think that a new rider needs or wants 1/3 of his body weight on the bars, as you would find on a Ninja 250 or EX500. It's neither fun nor conducive to skill development. Dual sport bikes are perfect for learning how to ride.

Hmm, my first streetbike was an EX500 and I thought at the time and still think it was a great first bike.

However, I had a dirtbike at 8 years old or so. Perhaps that is what you were alluding to... .

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
9/8/12 7:47 a.m.

My 1st bike was an EX500 as well. Fun little bike. I think the seating is fairly neutral.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
9/8/12 8:07 a.m.

A TW200 was my first bike. I thought it was a great first bike. However, when I took my MSF (a few months after buying the TW200), I found the course's Yamaha SR250s easier to ride. I thought the TW200 was more fun, but mostly becuase I live in the country and could legally ride to and legally ride on dirt roads in nearby state gamelands. An SR250 would make a great first bike. An SR500 would do well too if one fears that a 250 would be grown out of too quickly. Both are dead simple four-stroke thumpers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UjPRjwKSNxFnS9sgy8KwO6wIKS79YgVhQTuofj9l1qHh7z58ViUAWcpTZVZncQ8B