sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
4/26/18 9:03 p.m.

Hi All,

I posted this on a Ducati forum, but I guess im not Italian enough to get a response..  lol

I recently picked up a 2001 M750 and it suffered from a loose flywheel nut. ( seems to be a known issue ) Luckily, the damage was minimal. I plan to replace the nut and possibly the stator (depending on your opinion) then flush the system 2-3 times with fresh oil and a new filter. after that if the oil looks reasonably clean good oil and filter and ride the balls off of her. Big Questions..  Am I missing anything? Is the stator salvageable? It seemed to be working fine when the bike was taken apart. Does anyone know what year stator will fit my bike.

The Bike... Because Sexy

The Stator.. Because FUBAR

Thanks in advance!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
4/27/18 9:23 a.m.

I think you plan is fine, but I tend to shoot from the hip.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/27/18 10:10 a.m.

I'd probably replace it now because you're already there and the paint is discolored on half of the thing.  It's obviously seen some heat over the time it's been in service.  I'd rather replace it now instead of wishing I had on the side of the road somewhere.

No idea on the interchange.  Can you get one from Rick's?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/27/18 11:14 a.m.

Those wires on the stator that are scraped could be a problem...it's hard to tell how much of the wires have been removed but it will reduce their current carrying capacity.  I suppose you could paint over those areas with some sort of suitable varnish and hope for the best, but I think I'd go ahead and replace the stator now while you have things taken apart.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/27/18 3:51 p.m.

How much of a PITA is it to get to that stator?  On a Harley, you don't want to do that every day.  While I think the stator is salvageable with some added insulation, I think I would replace it if I was in there.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
4/27/18 4:23 p.m.

Seen much worse before.  if it ohms out okay, Clean it up in some acetone and coat bare  / rubbed sections with Caswell platings gas tank sealer its thickotropic  epoxy that is non conductive.  Same epoxy is used a lot to "pot" electronics in to cases.  once its finished curing install fly wheel and use a sharpy on the coated section check for rubs and file if need be.

NOTE: Check the section where the wires come out of the case under the rubber grommet they like to melt there and at the spade lugs at the voltage regulator.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
4/27/18 4:24 p.m.

The loose flywheel nut is a common problem on that era of Ducatis period. I regularly check my 916 for it. Use Yamalube sealant (check online for the exact one) as the gasket is basically impossible to find. Make sure your belts are no more than 3 years old, BTW.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
4/27/18 9:14 p.m.

I had a 2000M750.i don’t know for sure, but didn’t all the M600, M750 and M900 monsters as well as all the Supersports use the same basic drivetrain?

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
5/17/18 6:42 a.m.

So a smallish update:

Because money was tight and it was nice for a week, I opted to nail polish the bare spots on the stator, put it back together and flush the case with several oil changes.  That way I could ride it a little.  Its not hard at all to get to the stator, so I still plan to replace it in the near future.  Along with that, I replaced the turn signals, added mirrors and Ducati Decals, fixed a few odds and ends and cleaned it up a little.

It seems to run very well! I got to put about 300 miles on it last week.. then the rain hit again. :-(

Then I discovered that my bike also has the "Monster Tank Hinge Leak"...  But I did get a chance to hang the new belly pan.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
5/29/18 5:55 a.m.

So... 

I thought the stock mufflers looked disproportionately long on the bike, and they are a bit too quiet.  Out with the cut off wheel...  I removed 4" total in length, one baffle and some wadding.  I think it looks much better and it sounds awesome! I still have to finish cleaning them up and get them painted.  Progress is progress.

We don't need this stuff anyway...

Cut and Uncut

Pre-Op

Post-op

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/4/18 2:17 p.m.

The bike has really cleaned up.  Curious how you plan to paint the muffler cans.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
6/4/18 2:25 p.m.
pres589 said:

The bike has really cleaned up.  Curious how you plan to paint the muffler cans.

Funny you should mention that..  

I sanded the cans and cleaned them good with MEK.  After that I taped off the parts I wanted to stay raw and painted them with black engine paint.  I may repaint them when I paint the bike, but for now I think it came out nice.  Oh and thanks.  I'm really happy with its progress.  I hope to put miles on it and sort it out this season and tear it down, clean it and paint it over the winter.  It will take a while to weed our all of the P.O.'s  " Work".

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
6/5/18 12:20 p.m.

That looks much better.  With the tip ending at the fender line and the black center section.  Nice work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YZby5xCozmGVug0npFsZ8nn1Zpr9nFn86HUnbgxCqB2op5Ide3ZLkrVDjVezWIUs