FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
6/20/18 9:07 a.m.

In 2011 I left the mortgage banking industry after sitting at ground-zero for the whole meltdown debacle.  Prior to banking I worked in sales at a Ford dealership for 12 years.  I loved the job, hated the hours.  Which is why I went into banking.

I did not want to go back into the car business.  That I knew.  I was referred by a friend to look into Harley-Davidson sales (I live in Milwaukee--so H-D is kind of a big thing), and I did.  I interviewed at the dealership that had sold me my Buell M2 and got the job on the spot.

The bike parked right next to my desk on day one was a 2011 XR1200X in White Hot Denim.  I had sold the Buell a year before as I was going through a divorce--coupled with the loan officer situation at the time. Needless to say I was in lust.

I was in no financial position to buy a new bike--really any bike--at the time.  I switched dealers in 2012 and in the showroom on day one was a 2011 XR1200 with full Ohlins and V&H Widowmaker.  I rode it to a "bike night" at the H-D museum, and my lust was now love.  The way it rode...the sound...the "feel".  It is an intangible about this bike--it's not *that* fast, but it's fast enough.  It's not *that* anything--at least what you can put your finger on.  But is certainly *something*.

It was still too much for me to afford--but there was a Buell XB12STT that fit my needs so I got that.  Fast forward to 2014 and I sold the Buell and again was bikeless.  In late 2016 I picked up a used 2013 Honda CB500X--just to have a bike again.  And it was good for that. Nice machine.

In the beginning of May this year my boss mentioned that he was looking at some of the powersports auctions to get some bikes to fill holes in our used inventory.  On a whim, I asked him to punch in an XR1200.  As luck would have it, a White Hot Denim 2011 with 3000 miles, all stock and high condition ratings appeared.  I told him to bid on it.  And about a week later we were notified that we won.  I was grinning ear to ear.  There were only about 141 of these bikes made in 2011 (about 385 also went to the EU).  Hence unicorn.

The bike showed up the Friday before my 50th birthday.  It was dusty and needed tires, but nearly perfect otherwise.  I traded the Honda and did the paperwork to make her mine.  New Michelin tires went on, and I acquired a whole OE 2009 exhaust from a customer for free as well.  He was days away from scrapping it.  I flipped the mirrors, bought a clip-on flyscreen from the HD catalog, and had one of my guys take the take-off cans and replace the reverse flow baffles with some straight ones--and cut about 4" of length off the cans too.  We found some Night Rod Spl muffler end caps in the shop too--and used those to give a very finished, OE look.  I put them on yesterday and they sound almost as good as the V&H Widowmakers (which are no longer sold)--and keep the stock styling in place.

Here she is.  One of 141.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
6/20/18 9:38 a.m.

Nice bike, was not aware the white was such a limited run.

Have fun this summer

Paul B

Run_Away
Run_Away HalfDork
6/20/18 10:01 a.m.

I know nothing of bikes, but that's a nice looking one and that was a great story. I'm happy for you!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/20/18 10:03 a.m.

Yes, great story and glad you managed to capture your unicorn.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/20/18 12:20 p.m.

Out of curiosity, I looked to see the production of my 1995 900SS/CR. 300 built in 94 and 95. That doesn't differentiate between yellow and red. Just curious, how many different bikes have you ridden?

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
6/20/18 1:14 p.m.

I've ridden just about any H-D you can imagine.  I have owned a 2000 Buell M2, a 2007 XB12STT and a 2013 CB500X.  I have ridden numerous "metric' bikes--the fastest one was a Honda Blackbird that had work done. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/20/18 1:48 p.m.

I know I bag a lot on HD but I've never understood the desire. I've never met a bike worse put together or more uncomfortable to ride. Right leg has to deal with the air cleaner and left with the drive. Everyone I know that has them works on them, and these are guys that love them and still say they are not the best put together, but still love them. I'm glad you found your love and don't mean to dis it. Heck, a lot of people don't understand how I can enjoy riding my torture chamber, aka 916, but it is a blast. Just not for more than an hour and a half or so. That's why I have other bikes including my newest, the 900SS/CR. Have a blast! (BTW, I have a weird like for Buell even though they are underpowered)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/21/18 8:27 p.m.

I never knew they came in white. That looks damn good.

chuckles
chuckles Dork
6/23/18 11:26 a.m.

I had the good fortune to be on the Isle of Skye last month and saw a nice Buell, sporty with small bags and a map on the tank. And a discreet "46" on the nose of the fairing. He walked up, very nice guy, and we had a short visit.

"Valentino Rossi fan?

Isn't everybody?

Is this the only Buell on the island?

Quite possibly."

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/25/18 11:22 a.m.

Looks good.  I remember seeing those on the dealer's floor when they came out.  Didn't know they came in white.  I bet it moves.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/28/18 9:39 a.m.

I've never wanted to own a Harley---- although I appreciate them.   I'd own one of those.......but make mine orange!  

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
6/28/18 9:49 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:

I've never wanted to own a Harley---- although I appreciate them.   I'd own one of those.......but make mine orange!  

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
6/28/18 9:34 p.m.

Was a Harley sales guy for one summer after I became a civilian again. Reading this reminded me of my blinding hate for their color naming....  “white hot denim” is something that should only be said at a George Michael concert... I do love the xr1200 though, it is definitely hard to put your finger on what makes them great but if I had to hazard a guess I’d say it’s definitely the Showa BPF forks on the later models.....

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
6/30/18 10:56 p.m.

That does look like a sweet bike.  Congrats!

So I know very little of H-D.  I see there are USD forks, and they look sporty.  What IS this bike?  Like how does it compare to other H-Ds?  Gimme some specs or something please.  I guess..."learn me"?  And what is that tank just below the seat?  Is that an extra fuel tank?  Oil reservoir? 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/30/18 11:19 p.m.

In reply to FSP_ZX2 :

I test rode a white xr1200x. That particular bike was a little rougher than the price they were talking for it. But I absolutely loved how it rode. 

Seriously jealous. Congrats!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/30/18 11:26 p.m.

In reply to doc_speeder :

It's a Sportster. The frame itself is standard Sportster. Everything else is more "performance" tuned. Dual spark plugs per cylinder, hotter cam and upgraded suspension. 

They even had an AMA racing series for them for a while.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/1/18 8:41 a.m.
doc_speeder said:

That does look like a sweet bike.  Congrats!

So I know very little of H-D.  I see there are USD forks, and they look sporty.  What IS this bike?  Like how does it compare to other H-Ds?  Gimme some specs or something please.  I guess..."learn me"?  And what is that tank just below the seat?  Is that an extra fuel tank?  Oil reservoir? 

As already stated, it shares the frame with other XL (Sportster) series bikes.  Most everything else was unique.  Its a fully adjustable top-of-the-line Showa "big piston" inverted suspension, and a hot-rodded 1200 XL engine, very similar in tune to the Buell engines (it is a single plug--not a dual as mentioned) but tuned for more even torque and less peak hp.  The brakes are dual Nissin 4-pot.  The tank below the seat, as in all Sportsters is the oil reservoir.  The bike weighs a lot--about 550.  The motor makes about 80hp athe the wheel, and 70 lb/ft peak--but the torque is something like 60 lb/ft just over idle...so the torque is literally everywhere.  That makes it very fun on the street.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
7/1/18 9:58 p.m.

In reply to FSP_ZX2 :

Ah, was it the 1200S that had the dual plugs? 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/2/18 7:59 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

In reply to FSP_ZX2 :

Ah, was it the 1200S that had the dual plugs? 

The 883R's did.  I don't recall that any 1200's did--I don't *think* the 1200S did--but I've only seen a few,  That was actually a pretty cool bike too.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/2/18 8:44 a.m.

I nearly bought one of these but ended up with a ZRX1200R.  I miss that bike.  It was hell on rear tires and chains and was rowdy as all get out.  The HD I rode was basically equivalent.  

Long live the 80s bikes.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rFAh4jtIIBXkbHoo7Lo3Kb3zyoo6SRvFmfBmrwytXXZNiJr8QhWgjDdD7SSDcrnt