¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
1/14/18 2:36 p.m.

I was given a free fluid trainer, and figured that a berkeleying awesome old road bike would be cheaper than a trainer wheel/tire setup for my mountain bike, so $100 later I'm the proud owner of my first French vehicle- it rides like a dream and looks cool, and is surprisingly light for what it is.  Just couldn't resist the chance to troll everyone with that title cheeky

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/14/18 3:28 p.m.

That's a great score! Hopefully it won't leave too much oil on the floor! laugh

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
1/14/18 3:31 p.m.

I nearly did the same thing (back in '85)... Which model? I recall Tourmalet being an option... (I got a Fuji instead at the time)

Any Stronglight parts on it? smiley

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/14/18 5:15 p.m.

Is that an Iseran? I bought a new one around 1985 or 86.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
1/14/18 6:23 p.m.

Woody is correct, it's an Iseran.  I'll have to look it over to determine what's factory and what's aftermarket on it, I don't know a lot about these but it rides a lot better than my last road bike (a similarly ancient Schwinn Varsity).  

Woody, what was the color scheme on yours?  This could be your old bike!

secretariata
secretariata Dork
1/14/18 9:11 p.m.

I was going to say that the thread title sounded a bit optimistic...but with no engine you might be OK! laugh

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/14/18 10:05 p.m.

Mine was the same color, but I didn't have the tan grips and the graphics were a little different. I don't remember what color they were, maybe black foam. That blue metallic was really a great color when it was new.

Prior to this bike, I was also riding a Schwinn, either a Varsity or a Suburban converted to Varsity specs. The Peugeot was about half the weight of the Schwinns.

EDIT: This is the color scheme that I had and mine said Iseran on the top like this one. My bike may have been an '86 or '87. Those years were all a little foggy for me.

(Not my bike but identical other than the seat and the grips)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
1/15/18 12:15 p.m.

oh man, those sack-stabbing shifters give me nightmares!

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/15/18 8:53 p.m.

Index shifters were all the rage in the '80s. I remember seeing the other kids struggle with road bikes while I stuck with BMX only since index shifters went bad immediately in the hands of children... why have all that crap and the top tube next to your junk if you were still stuck in only one gear.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/15/18 9:14 p.m.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/17/18 3:08 p.m.

WOW...Flashback.  I sold alot of those back then.  (working after school)  but My fav freanchy was the Motobecane Profil 2 

Enyar
Enyar Dork
1/17/18 4:49 p.m.

Here's mine! I think it's a bit newer, maybe around 89.

Though I'm at a bit of a crossroads as to what I want to do with it. The rear rim is bent so a friend gave me some fancy looking wheels off her tri bike. They're all black and while I like that they are straight and light, it completely changes the look of the bike. 

What to do what to do!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
1/31/18 9:37 p.m.

Sweet ride!  I'm just curious though...why do all you guys have your nuts up near the handlebars?cheeky

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
3/25/18 12:06 a.m.
sethmeister4 said:

Sweet ride!  I'm just curious though...why do all you guys have your nuts up near the handlebars?cheeky

When ascending from a Col. cool

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
4/3/18 6:39 p.m.

I have a 1981 Univega that I bought new. Need to find a source of gum rubber hoods for the dia comp levers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lfa1k5iFfKxyUflwZo8Gajf8rFTdl8VJTVQ8DsaO1zKtgBWqTO7ZwcSrEoHBnSQx