DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/5/18 1:41 p.m.

Some of you may remember the 1977 Honda CJ360T I restored for SWMBO's first bike. We'll she's not very confident riding and is therefore leery of it. Today I bought something to help her gain confidence with the physics. It's a mix of both our motorcycles - Italian like my Ducati, and a 1977 model like her Honda.

I paid $300. Needs a going through, but that's NBD and I could use a project at home right now.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/5/18 6:44 p.m.

Those little mopeds can be surprisingly fun to ride, and it looks like an easy project.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/5/18 8:16 p.m.

Ya know, Dr.Linda got over the not-confident-to-ride thing on the way home from the dealership with her new bike.  Of course, it was a 6000 mile trip.  Maybe it's that "jump off in the deep end" thing?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/5/18 9:55 p.m.
NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/6/18 1:29 p.m.

That thing looks like a blast. Btw, your ratchet straps are almost as cool as the bike. 

imgon
imgon Reader
10/7/18 8:22 a.m.

Good luck, that should build her confidence. We had a similar situation with my wife. I gave her my old Honda Sabre that I thought would be perfect for her, turns out it was too much in her mind and she did not like riding it. Found her a mid 70s Honda 200, basically a moped that looked like a motorcycle.  She rode that one summer and was ready to move up to a big girl bike. We found her a Shadow that she rode for a  couple of years and she decided that she needed a big bike for the traveling we were doing. We got her a VTX 1300 and she loves it. She has had more bikes than me and hers is bigger than mine. Never would have guessed it 20 years ago, she just barely liked riding as a passenger. 

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/8/18 8:43 a.m.

No spark. Posting this here for reference

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
10/8/18 7:04 p.m.

It's sort of common for the magnets to lose there charge on theses small flywheels.  If you have a charging system check gauge you can do a ruff check or do a wrench lift test stick a wrench to the magnet and lift the fly wheel add weight untill wench slides do this for all the magnets see how strong they are.  There is a scooter place in Calif that will do a real test and can re-mag them but i can't say i've used them YET.

scooterwest

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/10/18 3:31 p.m.

Thanks for that. I'll be sorting the wiring and trying that first. Once winter settles in she'll be getting a full teardown and possibly some powder coating.

I thought I could rub the brown garbage off with some acetone but no luck. Here comes full resto!

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
10/11/18 11:45 a.m.

Those Junction blocks are know bad areas they just don't last 30 years.  Some parts might be hard to find but the web is making it easier.

Try olive oil rub let sit over night then buff it off, sometimes solvent just don't cut it.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/12/18 8:46 a.m.

Users manual for anybody that comes across this thread in a search:
https://martysgarage.info/manuals/minarelliservice.pdf

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/15/18 8:20 a.m.

Pulled the engine yesterday. Magnets still have a lot of power to them, so I'm pointing to old wires as the culprit. New weatherproof connectors have been sourced to eliminate junction blocks.

Now the dreaded "While I'm in there"

This thing needs to be cleaned up a lot before it goes back on the frame.

I did manage to get some of the black crap off the tank with scrubbing and soaking - but it's going to end up being a respray. Since I have all winter, I'm considering sending things out for powder coat - low gloss white for the frame and high gloss blue for the tank.

Our Preferred Partners
pwqTSuryE8lTH4W7yM1qicESZEoyJ7ypkUmT58OQtbd2RoLyOF4LZ1prQNaZsXRP