joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
9/11/18 9:26 p.m.

I just picked up a little Honda spree, a 1985. I’m wondering about upgrades. I know getting more speed out of them is kind of a pain, and that’s not really my end goal anyway, I wanted something to carry behind the camper for running around the campground or to the party store and such. But, a little more damping in the rear would be nice!  The stock rear shock feels like it’s shot, if it ever was gas charged in the first place. Are better tires worth it?  Any “must do” mods or anything?  The kid I bought it from replaced the cylinder and piston with stock sized stuff. Maybe a big bore kit is in my future, but more for acceleration than top end, 26mph on those little wheels is enough for me lol!  Believe it or not it actually carries my wife and I fine! I don’t have much suspension travel after that though. Any advice is appreciated!

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/12/18 8:57 p.m.

Step one. Build nice camp fire.

Step two. remove the exhaust pipe.

Step three. Place pipe on hot coals of step one. turn it like a kabob as needed to gain maximum smoke.

Step four. Cook until done.

Step five. when cool shake out debris from pipe and wipe with Acetone and paint.

Step six. When dry cook on paint in BBq grill for 10 min on med heat allow to cool.

Step seven.  Install pipe.

You'll be surprised how well a good clean pipe works.

Thing to do for more power.  Better pipe, raise the exhaust port a bit in the middle its likley a flat sided oval make it more D shaped.  Tire yes good tires are a must.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/9/18 9:20 p.m.

Foggy here but 85’s are electric only and 86’s have a kick starter also?  Anywho we would take .050 -.150 off of the front pulley for more top speed.  86’s were steel and done on a surface grinder, 85’s were milled.  We drilled the clutch weights for a higher rpm launch.  

The ones that ran about 45 mph were the best, the ones that we got up to 50 or better would gum up the rings and attract police.

True story my buddy got pulled over going about 50 mph, the cop was a motor head and threatened to take the thing apart and find out how he was going so fast.

Ah to be 15 again, brings back memories.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
11/9/18 10:44 p.m.

Watching with interest having just picked up an 84 Honda Areo...

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
11/10/18 8:14 a.m.

Now I seem to be having charging issues. I swapped the stator and no change, only putting out about 8 volts at wot, measured st the battery with battery disconnected. And wide open throttle is barely that... I wonder if it’s the regulator

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
11/12/18 11:42 a.m.

You need the battery hooked up for the system to work properly with out it you will likley smoke the regulator.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/

This might help you find the problem

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/12/18 12:22 p.m.
44Dwarf said:

Step one. Build nice camp fire.

Step two. remove the exhaust pipe.

Step three. Place pipe on hot coals of step one. turn it like a kabob as needed to gain maximum smoke.

Step four. Cook until done.

Step five. when cool shake out debris from pipe and wipe with Acetone and paint.

Step six. When dry cook on paint in BBq grill for 10 min on med heat allow to cool.

Step seven.  Install pipe.

You'll be surprised how well a good clean pipe works.

Thing to do for more power.  Better pipe, raise the exhaust port a bit in the middle its likley a flat sided oval make it more D shaped.  Tire yes good tires are a must.

What are we doing here, removing carbon?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/12/18 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yeah, they get oily and carbony over time

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/1/19 11:30 a.m.

Wow, back in high school, Sprees were everywhere. (I had a Gyro.)

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
2/1/19 11:36 a.m.

My little sisters had a friend in high school named Richard that got smoked on a Spree type cycle. It turned me off two wheeled entertainment for quite a few years. Then I traded some work for a 920 Virago... oh how I loved that bike.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
74GWjD4ZNAAWWAwnzbcAJjeqykZwEXNZaZpVXRf18aTPDTWaj6NhYQptsMQh2e2c