chunsonnn
chunsonnn
10/26/18 10:24 p.m.

(EDIT: I guess this is at least partially about whether to let go of the darned thing. I'm having trouble with the idea of not having a bike, and it's a lovely bike. But it's also just sitting and depreciating most of the time.)

The registration on my Aprilia's about to lapse. Oregon requires insurance to renew. My bike isn't insured, as I don't ride it on the street. Insurance costs more than a track day, and that's where the fun is.

In the short term, I really don't care that it's not registered. But when it comes time to sell it, current registration would seem to make life easier, and there's a financial penalty (and I actually have to go to the DMV, I think) for expiring and starting over.

I guess the most accurate reflection of usage is just to let it expire, not worry about the minor repercussions of that, and either go through re-registration if I ever decide to ride it on the street, or let the buyer worry about it.

Or maybe I should look harder at selling it, since it's looking more like I'm not going to make it to any track days this year, and revisit buying a track-prepped bike if my schedule improves 

The Aprilia is a bit nice for a "track rat"...

What do I do?

Thank, Cristiano

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
10/26/18 10:58 p.m.

If you keep it, just let the registration lapse and deal with it later. I maintained reg/ins on a non-operable project car in Oregon for years and regret not just letting it lapse and paying the penalty once ready to drive again.

I would also be interested to hear some more details on the Aprilia if it might be for sale! V4? V-Twin? How nice is this maybe too-nice track rat? I loooove everything about my SXV550 except the reliability and dream about picking up another Aprilia someday.

CJ
CJ Reader
10/27/18 12:29 a.m.

I haven't lived in Oregon for a long time, but can't you just put it into non-op status for a nominal annual fee?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fDPdh3sSdLyxmU4DjYJZM65xALYxrBA3aDBnFTYvxP2A76VDbhn3PPHrz3IBt0Di