CLynn85
CLynn85 New Reader
3/28/09 11:48 a.m.

So I found a Honda SL100 I want to get to learn on and cruise around town. The catch...no title.

Anyone ever tried getting one in VA with a bill of sale? Worth the effort?

alex
alex Reader
3/29/09 7:52 p.m.

If it's earlier than a certain year ('72 maybe?) it's fairly easy to do through ITS Titles out of Vegas, for like $50 or so. Later than that, it gets harder, but doable with enough time/money/capacity for wading through red tape.

CLynn85
CLynn85 New Reader
3/29/09 10:03 p.m.

Interesting. Didn't even think to check into a service like that. Probably not worth the time, effort, and cash to spend $85 to get the title to a $300 motorcycle, but I will definitely keep that one bookmarked in case I need it in the future. Thanks!

alex
alex Reader
3/29/09 11:03 p.m.

Best tactic: get one bike licensed out of the whole stable, switch plates when you ride 'em. Keep the gubmint's hands offa yer motersickles!

Won't work too well if you register your '09 HayaGixxerNinjaSaki 1800 and slap the plate on your '68 CL72, of course, but you get the general idea.

However, if you get a ticket for this, we never talked, capice?

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
3/30/09 8:13 a.m.

What's the title situation?

Did the owner have a title, but lost it? They can get a duplicate from DMV.

Was the bike bought out of state? That makes it more complicated.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
3/30/09 8:20 a.m.

Call the local PD with the VIN and be sure it has no "history". No title vehicles usually end up that way for odd reasons. A motorcycle with no title is almost certainly a stolen vehicle.

If the seller isn't willing to go to the BMV and file the lost title paperwork he probably NEVER had a title for said vehicle. It takes 5 minutes.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
3/30/09 8:57 a.m.

Here in Ct a title isn't required after a certain amount of years (20?). A bill of sale is all thats needed.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/30/09 9:29 a.m.

I looked at that ITS-TITLE site.....I'd be too weary about about signing Power Of Attorney to someone on the internet

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
3/30/09 10:13 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I looked at that ITS-TITLE site.....I'd be too weary about about signing Power Of Attorney to someone on the internet

I've gotten a few titles through them. They're legit.

alex
alex Reader
3/31/09 4:56 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
Grtechguy wrote: I looked at that ITS-TITLE site.....I'd be too weary about about signing Power Of Attorney to someone on the internet
I've gotten a few titles through them. They're legit.

Yup. They're basically the industry-standard service in the old bike bidness.

I like the fact that they really only exist to exploit a loophole in NV's title laws, and they get $85 to file a few papers. Good for them.

therex
therex SuperDork
3/31/09 7:52 p.m.

In VA you can apply for an abandoned vehicle title:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/abandoned.asp

This has worked for cars that I know, should work for motorbikes too.

Of course a title service is the least hassle...

johndej
johndej New Reader
5/18/14 7:00 p.m.

blast from the past but not a canoe! Just ran into this in Virginia, friend of a friend says this "Hi John, don't have a title but you should have no trouble getting one from DMV. I've had it for at least eleven years and a friend of mine had it before that for many years." I guess I should just ask to see if the guy will grab a title himself or is the abandoned vehicle process an easy process in VA? The bike is a 71 honda that has been sitting.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/21/14 2:37 p.m.

If it's pre-1973 PM me. I know people ....

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
5/21/14 2:46 p.m.

Are you in Virginia? That would make it easier. I wasn't and after a good year plus of attempting to get the replacement title as an out of stater I gave up and sold it as a parts car.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
5/21/14 6:24 p.m.

My attitude in cases like this tends to be - if it's easy to get the title, why doesn't the seller?

johndej
johndej New Reader
5/23/14 1:50 p.m.

yeah, it was a 71 honda CL100, I'm in VA, seller was in VA, sold for $300 w/o title to someone other than myself.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NBzTIt8WvAGeMFCXvsDWo8enJjIqpZoqoxIsu5mE7XktvU3VbvUCW86NZz7vfJzL