David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/29/19 6:22 p.m.

And how about frames? My friend Craig had his own company. He raced this very frame. Pretty sure I have the matching fork as well.

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
1/29/19 10:34 p.m.

73 Triumph T140V

1967 BSA 441 Victor Special

And the JDM hoss, 1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
1/30/19 1:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And here's my MCS, my first real BMX. It's totally frozen in time circa 1986. 

I wish Skyway would crank out some graphite 22s. With alloy brake tracks or disk mounts, as long as I'm dreaming. And none of that seven-spoke weirdness... ^^^That is what Tuffs are supposed to look like.

22s just look right in a way 24s never quite do.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/30/19 2:08 p.m.

I have asked the powers that be about 22-inch Tuffs--well, this was before the recent sale of the company. Tooling costs + demand made it a non-starter. Still, we can dream. One day I'd like to build up some 22-inch wheels around some Profile/Madera hubs. One day, maybe. 

jharry3
jharry3 Reader
1/30/19 2:14 p.m.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
1/30/19 2:27 p.m.

The commuter

EricM
EricM SuperDork
1/30/19 2:28 p.m.

The rocket ship (2017 Canyon Endurace SLX 8.0 Di2)  and the trek 1.1 (that got sold)

EricM
EricM SuperDork
1/30/19 2:29 p.m.

Me and the rocket ship.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
1/30/19 2:36 p.m.

Me and My bike in about 1985 or 1986. I had a Mongoose and I got some "Maxi-Cross" cranks for it. Otherwise it is stock.  That is my ABA number.  I wasn't very fast....

EricM
EricM SuperDork
1/30/19 2:42 p.m.

Trek 560c, with shimano 600.  A 1985 frame I rebuilt.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
1/30/19 2:48 p.m.

Various bikes without explanations.  most rebuilt and then sold.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/29/19 6:39 a.m.

Too many bicycles in this thread. To combat this I bought this a week ago:

Sharp eyes will notice the head is off. That is just one of it's many problems. 1954 technology in a 2007 (yes, really) package.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/29/19 9:05 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

i saw a guy on a black Royal Enfield the other day and assumed it was old AF.  when was the name resurrected, and are they still sold new?

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
4/29/19 9:17 a.m.

IIRC the Royal Enfields came back in ~2000-2001.  Made in India.

A buddy owned a bike tuning shop, and we were there one day circa 2002ish with a race bike on the dyno when one of the bike owner's buddies rolled up on a Royal Enfield.  Just for giggles, we put it on the dyno and it put 18.1hp to the ground...  cheeky

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/29/19 9:53 p.m.

RE extensively redesigned their single cylinder bike not too long ago, it looks very similar but now has fuel injection and a host of other improvements.

They also just came out with a 650cc twin Interceptor.  It's not as cool looking as the original Interceptor from the 1960s but it's still pretty nice.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
4/29/19 10:42 p.m.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 Dork
4/30/19 1:37 a.m.

Still loving the variety in this thread. I’ve completely blown my toy budget and picked up two bikes in the past month. One pedal, and one motorized.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT CC XTR Reserve! I’m nowhere near worthy, way out of shape, and haven’t been mountain biking in forever, but no time like the present to get back to it! I haven’t been out on trail yet, just goofing off around the neighborhood, plus rode it to work a couple days. Can’t wait for more! It feels distinctly different from my last full-squish rig, an AMP Research B-4 (just in case I hadn’t dated myself yet.)

1988 JDM Suzuki GSXR250 I picked up today. I’ve been missing a revs-upon-revs-upon revs tiny inline four bike since selling my GSF400 Bandit last year. This one has 4000ish miles since new and needs a full going-through. It’s all stock, been in storage a while, and an amazing restoration candidate. I think it will make a good stablemate to my JDM 1992 Suzuki Goose 350...both four-strokes, both bubble-era, both totally useable on American roads, one a thumper and the other an in-line four, one naked and the other a ‘sportbike’ both smile-inducing whatever the speed.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/30/19 6:39 a.m.

Royal Enfield built bikes in England until 1970. They had opened a plant in India in the 1950s and that is where all the newer Enfields come from, though they have built a new modern plant in recent years. The design was essentially the same up to about 2008 when they revised it with the UCE (unit construction engine...gearbox integral with the motor like most bikes) and fuel injection. The original Bullet is...'rustic'. The new UCE models retain much of the character with reliability you can trust for the most part and fewer parts falling off. Indian quality has been below that of Japan, Inc until recently. The new Interceptor models bring RE into the modern era. The dealer network in the US has always been sporadic. Enfield took over distribution a couple years ago so things are changing but finding a dealer is still difficult and their biggest hurdle to success here IMO.

I think the new twins are what the Triumph Bonneville should be. Triumph has moved it so far upscale in price and displacement I'm no longer a buyer.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
4/30/19 8:30 a.m.

The new Royal Enfield adventure bike looks really sweet. 

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
4/30/19 10:15 p.m.

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
4/30/19 10:56 p.m.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
5/1/19 2:10 p.m.
fatallightning said:

Details on the beauty in the lower left corner?

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
5/1/19 4:05 p.m.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 Dork
5/2/19 10:37 p.m.
fatallightning said:

Ah cyclocross, so painful, yet so fun! It looks like you race a lot of different disciplines; any favorites? I also love the moto collection, btw.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/3/19 8:07 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

So the gixxer is a 250 four cylinder, I just assumed all of the 250 sport bikes were one lungers.  Is it a JDM thing?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IcyUWp13OFyYPd3BBNI3M33xB530MU2m01zrTDX1rA061gtcCA9R59ioSKw5Riqp