eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/10/16 6:19 p.m.

My wife and I went out bicycling today, after she's had a very long hiatus. We had fun, but she prefers a more relaxed pace than I do. I realized this may work out for me, and instead of my mountain bike, maybe I should pick up a BMX again. The last time I had one was when I was in middle school, before moving up to mountain bikes.

1. I'm mainly looking for something simple, fun to ride at a slower pace, and that can withstand some curb hopping and the occasional wheelie. No stunting beyond that.

2. I'm 6' tall, with a 32" inseam, and really don't know what size BMX bike can be made to fit me.

3. I want something that's fairly "standardized", so if I do any customization, parts are readily available, and will fit without too much effort and cursing.

With those points is something like the So Cal Flyer appropriate? I don't want to cheap out and get something that is underbuilt, but I also don't want to spend a ton for a bike that isn't going to get hammered on. Coming from the mountain bike world, I really don't understand how to fit a BMX bike to myself. I just know that 24" wheels are about as big as I'm willing to go, because after that, they start looking weird.

I'm also happy to take suggestions on any other possible bikes. I do want to buy a complete bike, though. I can assemble one that is boxed up, but I don't want to do a scratch-build.

Also, I'm willing to take suggestions for other bikes

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/11/16 8:23 p.m.

Oh yeah, there was one other question I had - is it possible to swap out the rear hub on a modern BMX with one with a coaster brake? My old bike from when I was a kid had one, and it was fun to jam the pedals backwards and skid to a halt

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/14/16 1:11 p.m.

Beginning to think I should have posted this in Off Topic...

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
7/14/16 1:22 p.m.

I have been out of the BMX game for decades myself, but play with the idea of getting one for neighborhood shenanigans.
I use to own a GT Pro Series with an XXL frame. Same 20" wheels, just a longer frame to accommodate my 5'11" stature. The hot item back then was a "lay-back" seat post, which really helped when sitting and pedaling.

That being said I would probably go with a 24" now. They also make cool free-ride mountain bikes that have minimal or no gears and rigid frames/forks. That's what you see Danny Maccasgill doing his freestyle videos on. It's basically a 26" BMX.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
7/14/16 1:32 p.m.

I have nothing to add beyond kindly hinting that I have a Sunday Model C that needs a good home. I bought it new in 2011 and it has done little but hang on the wall since then. I went 24" because all the 20" bikes made my back absolutely burn after only a few minutes of riding. Turns out the 24 kills my back too, but it waits a few more minutes before it renders me red-faced and immobile.

Looks like this, but with a Zarape Pivotal seat.

I'll cut you a deal on it, but shipping might be a bear.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/14/16 1:36 p.m.

It seems like the 24" frames are only offered in one size for several of the models I've looked at. Is it just a matter of adjusting the seat height, and rotating the handlebars forward to get the right fit?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
7/16/16 7:48 a.m.

Might be worth hitting a bike shop to just get a feel for what's out there.

BITD, a "Pro" frame was still pretty small. Hence the addition of layback seat posts. For example, my son had a new Redline Expert (for 11-14 year olds) and it's longer than my old GT frame.

BMX sizing is all based top tube length. I'm 5' 11" with a 20" wheeled Mosh Pro XL bike. The top tube is 21" long. With a slightly longer stem it's just a hair big for me.

I'd look for a cruiser with a 21" or 22" top tube. There are a bunch out there. You mention not wanting to spend a bunch, but most are around the price of the Sol Cal above. If it's really just for bombing around the neighborhood, you could probably save a bit with a steel v. aluminum or chrome moly frame, but at the expense of weight.

Planet BMX has a bunch of complete 24" bikes to check out. Including SE's.

Regarding parts swapping, it's not like mountain bikes where there are a bunch of proprietary designs. You can easily upgrade parts.

Finally, you "could" get coaster brake for it, but the fun factor would wear off quickly.

-Rob

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
7/18/16 2:37 p.m.

I have a 24" BMX bike (Fit CR 24) and a 26" Jump bike (SE Filth Flyer).

I think that a perfect bike would be a jump bike with the rigid BMX like forks.

I prefer both of them to my old full suspension mountain bike.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/29/16 4:44 p.m.

I have an SE Floval Flyer:

10850247_10205355742684146_8312023717835223484_n

At the time I wanted a turn-key 24-inch cruiser, and it perfectly scratched that itch. It sounds like you're looking for the same thing. Mine is from 2008 or so, and since then SE changed some model names so that the current So Cal Flyer more or less replaces my bike.

Mine is fairly stock. I had graphite Tuff Wheels on it, but now I'm back on the stock alloys. The handlebars are old S&M Gay Bars. I had them on my Cyclecraft cruiser and always liked them.

You're taller than me, so it would probably fit you fine. All of the parts are standardized, too, so if you want to install Flight cranks or whatever, you can.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
8/29/16 6:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I have an SE Floval Flyer: 10850247_10205355742684146_8312023717835223484_n The is my heart throb. Any idea if there is enough room in the back to toss a 5 spd cassette on it? Would solve all my issues in life at that point.
David S. Wallens
8/29/16 7:54 p.m.

I'm not sure if there's room for a five-speed cassette. It's standard BMX back wheel width, though.

David S. Wallens
8/29/16 7:56 p.m.

What about this?

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
8/30/16 10:21 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

That's awesome!

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
8/30/16 11:18 a.m.

I've got a SoCal Flyer. I added a cushy beach cruiser seat and taller bars. It's fun to cruise around on with my lady.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
8/30/16 1:19 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: What about this?

Thanks, David. I was all ready to pull the trigger on a PL-26 and now I'm second guessing it......

-Rob

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
8/30/16 1:32 p.m.

http://fairdalebikes.com/bikes/2017-flyer/

http://fairdalebikes.com/bikes/2017-taj/

Fairdale Bikes are out of Austin, Texas. Cool bunch of guys.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
8/30/16 1:47 p.m.
92dxman wrote: http://fairdalebikes.com/bikes/2017-flyer/ http://fairdalebikes.com/bikes/2017-taj/ Fairdale Bikes are out of Austin, Texas. Cool bunch of guys.

Yeah, I looked at a Fairdale, but (and it sounds silly), the seat mast is too tall. More like a mountain bike where the top tube is almost horizontal v. a BMX where it is sloped down. I also considered a Fireman's (also local Austin), but they have the same type of design and are MUCH more expensive than I want to spend right now. I haven't really ridden much in a very long time. I'm planning on getting on one much more often and get back in shape. If I do, I'll probably consider upgrading from there. I don't want to drop a bunch on something that might collect dust.....

If money were no object, I'd be looking at one of the new Gary Turner frames or for a CCH 26".

-Rob

failboat
failboat UberDork
5/30/17 8:09 p.m.

I did not feel like my post warranted its own thread so I tried to find an appropriate thread to bump.

We've been talking for months about getting some bikes this year, finally pulled the trigger. Our budget was kind of limited because we are buying 2 bikes, a bike trailer, bike rack, probably helmets (because setting good example for the kiddo) and a bunch of other E36 M3 this year for outdoor activities.

Wife wanted a beach cruiser style bike, ended up picking up a Micargi Rover GX 26". Build quality is mediocre I guess. Looks cool though.

On craigslist we did find a worn but solid Burley Honey Bee bike trailer for a reasonable cost that was super lightweight and pulls easily.

I knew I wanted a bmx cruiser style. I checked out a local shop and the only bmx brand they carried was haro. They had a downtown 24 in stock, and can order the 26, but I don't care much for the low slung frame geometry, and the black with green tires is kind of obnoxious. Since that was essentially my approximate budget ($350), it seemed like I was left with 2 options. Framed Twenty6er, or Eastern Growler 26. Zero chance of checking either one out in person anywhere around here, Had to make a choice and pull the trigger.

Eastern Growler it is. Arrives tomorrow. I did order a set of Flite chrome pads from porkchop bmx to see if I can get a bit of a retro feel. I think chrome forks and taller chrome handlebars would look really cool.....Maybe later. Pics of the new fleet soon!

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
5/31/17 8:23 a.m.

Nice ride! I picked up a Framed 29er recently and really prefer the larger geometry over my previous 24" SoCal Flyer

photo 8DB45B80-70E6-4B8D-B3AE-CDB49A202FDB_zpszeusfnqt.jpg

failboat
failboat UberDork
5/31/17 11:17 a.m.

I was very close to ordering the Twenty6er in black/orange. The bikes themselves seem to be comparable specs wise.

Wife ended up getting a black bike, and I think within the last couple weeks the blue really grew on me of the Eastern, has kind of a retro vibe to it with the chrome decals.. I like the look of the slightly taller handlebars on the Framed bike, (helps maintain the scale of the bike, looking like a scaled up 20" if you understand what I mean) but I figured the frame geometry looks about the same on the eastern and I can swap some parts later if I want.

The bike did arrive today and I stopped at home to inspect it before coming to a dr appt. Love the blue. Hoping weather stays nice later this afternoon and I will totally throw the bike together, load the kid in the trailer, and take a ride!

failboat
failboat UberDork
6/7/17 8:00 p.m.

Been riding every day with or without the kid. Flipped the stem to raise the bars up for the time being. I am spending way too much time trolling bmx parts sites looking at parts.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
6/7/17 8:32 p.m.

That blue looks great!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
51gG4gulLzLpEKcQ94d4b66bzzsAgCbxT8uA5hCT0wPv5SyO67ToX2wrte0Kvc9j