NVHEngr
NVHEngr New Reader
12/11/15 2:39 p.m.

I recently purchased a scooter that was a mess. I got the thing to run, but now the charging circuit isn't working.

Pretty sure the stator is toast. I am only getting 3.2VAC to the rectifier. I am new to motorcycle charging systems but I am positive the stator should not be grounding out the case, right? I get continuity on both leads to the crankcase with the bike off and disconnected. I pulled the stator out and I am getting the same readings when I go from one of the charging leads to the mounting base.

I am very confused because I purchased a new stator and the same thing is happening with the leads grounding out to the base. Could a stator be bad directly from the box?

2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
12/12/15 8:17 a.m.

The factory stator on my bike was ground to the case. When I rewound it I floated the ground.

How much does it put out when you bring up the revs? All the connectors look good?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
12/12/15 9:05 a.m.

Is the engine case properly grounded to the frame? I had a gy6 scooter with a bad stator that I'm about 90% sure failed because the engine grounding cable wasn't connected to the engine. The engine had continuity to ground, but I'm sure it was struggling to handle any real amperage that way.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/12/15 9:43 a.m.

This may help you find the problem; https://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/13/15 8:02 p.m.

I dunno about your scooter, but in Harley circles, if there is any continuity between the stator pins and the block (ground), the stator is toast and is coming out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S3iiZdYUNuYAU1sbvjcmJmUMWTxtcRvLCYMblpLo3x42ILkmaQIXnP6SFSgUxztN