skierd
skierd Dork
2/5/13 1:23 a.m.

I've had an itch to get myself either a retro standard like a new Sportster or Guzzi V7, or skipping the technology and finding myself a nice older motorcycle more biased to street use for a while, especially now that I'm actually able to afford more than one set of two wheeled transportation (i.e. my WR250R isn't going anywhere, and not just because I've got the wheels, forks, shock, and most of the rear suspension linkage off to rebuild it).

On the first of every month, the local Airheads club meets at the Silver Gulch brewery in scenic downtown Fox, AK to tell lies and try a few good beers. Turns out one of the guys is selling a well cared for and almost completely restored 1972 BMW R75/5 for sale

Its been owned by two of the guys in the Airhead group for 20+ years. It was originally a short wheel base but was converted to a long wheel base, and the previous owner still has the parts in his garage. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow, and the price is more than fair from what I've seen similar examples advertised for in the lower 48.

Needless to say, I'm very tempted. What are things to look out for on these old BMW's? Good stories, bad stories, story stories?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/5/13 6:07 a.m.

I have a 1997 R-1100rt, a 1976 R-90s clone (S type fairing, gages, progressive springs, Mikunis etc, doesn't have the S VIN); and I just started poking at an R-60 basket case.

If you're used to UJMs, these are Weird Harold kinda bikes to ride. The flywheel is the size of Rhode Island so when shifting gears ease off the throttle, pull in the clutch, count to four, then upshift. It takes the engine quite a while to come down in RPM.

Parts are plentiful but not always cheap. They ride nice on the road and with suspension upgrades can actually almost handle.

They make people smile.

Buy it, no regrets.

Dan

This will help: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
2/5/13 8:28 a.m.

If it gained entrance at the monthly meeting of airheads at the Silver Gulch brewery in scenic downtown Fox, AK, I'd say it was worth it on that criteria alone!

GregWClassic
GregWClassic New Reader
2/5/13 10:25 a.m.

I rode one from San Francisco to NYC back in the 80's. Not fast but not slow either. Part of the ride was across the Serria Nevada through Yosemite Park and down through the Owens Valley to Barstow. I kept the bike for years and traded it for some suspension work on the RedToy. Last I heard it was restored and is still running with well over 100k miles.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/5/13 10:37 a.m.

Doesn't seem like you said you've actually sat on one. I'd suggest trying that. Very...unique, ergonomics. Make sure they're for you.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/5/13 10:45 a.m.

Greg, doesn't that qualify you for some kind of Iron Butt award?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
2/5/13 11:48 a.m.

I didn't find the ergonomics that "unique", but then again Airheads seem to fit me better than later BMWs. And yes, I have owned a /5...

A 75/5 is one of those bikes that isn't really fast but is really good at covering ground (yes, I know, odd combination) so it's a nice bike if you want a classic long-distance tourer. Most parts are still available and the 750cc/800cc engine is considered the sweet spot in the Airhead range.

GregW
GregW Reader
2/6/13 10:36 a.m.

914 Driver - It kinda does. I left SF at noon and stopped in Barstow at about 10 PM. Then I left Needles CA (96 deg at 6 AM!) and rode to Grants , NM (45 deg at 6 AM) and then on to Santa Fe, NM by the next noon.

It has been a very long time but I still remember that trip.

the trick to covering distance is not speed but endurance. Just keep moving.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
2/6/13 10:44 a.m.
GregWClassic wrote: I rode one from San Francisco to NYC back in the 80's. Not fast but not slow either. Part of the ride was across the Serria Nevada through Yosemite Park and down through the Owens Valley to Barstow. I kept the bike for years and traded it for some suspension work on the RedToy. Last I heard it was restored and is still running with well over 100k miles.

I got this bike from Greg, tossed the vetter fairing found new headlight ect. got it road worthy again (carb diaphams etc.). Then sold it to a guy who did complete resto and polish cases ect. He got tranfered for work from Ma to Ca and left the bike at his mom's in Maine, who grow tired of it sitting and she E-bay'ed it.....He let me know with about 6 hours left....it whent dirt cheap to

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
2/6/13 4:15 p.m.

Once upon a time I worked at a BMW bike shop. A well maintained airhead boxer is a pleasure to ride. They're not fast (except R90Ss, and R100s) but they can get out of thier own way. A word of caution about the bike in picture, the front brakes are dual leading shoe, so they are worthless for holding you if you are stopped pointed up hill. Ask me how I know

I would love to own an airhead, but personally I would prefer one of the later models.

skierd
skierd Dork
2/7/13 12:30 a.m.

Well I won't have to worry about this one unfortunately, it was sold earlier today. :( The search continues...

4eyes
4eyes Dork
2/12/13 1:24 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

One of my moto-mentors is a die hard BMW guy. He said,"When you get on any bike, you get off in another state-of-mind, but on a BMW you are also in another State."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z47rIlgt0CIWqGmFCpCkch9vDNeeoKUmgeMbT3yOlzcNS66olMiqsDetW7vUwbU1