1 2 3
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/12/12 5:52 a.m.

I am so confused.

2 years ago I bought the Ultimate Cheap Adventure Bike, my Kawasaki KLR 650. I wanted something inexpensive with good fuel mileage and a decent sized tank to take day and weekend trips on, exploring back roads and riding some of the many improved gravel roads we have here in my home state. It's been dependable and a good choice, but I'm finding the idea of riding it for two straight days on a weekend trip to be less than enticing. The vibration from the big single is extremely tiring, and it's no fun to ride on the slab which is almost a necessity to get to the 'good stuff'. I'm realizing I spend more time on pavement than on dirt and the thing is probably overkill. At about 225 miles on a day ride the thing becomes intolerable (and it's not just the craptastic seat).

I thought I wanted a dual sport, and inquired on ADV in a very helpful thread that suggested a few good (and typical) choices in my budgeted $3000 threshold. Triumph Tiger 955i, Suzuki V-Strom 650, Triumph Scrambler/Bonneville. I rode a Tiger and it's a nice bike, but I'm not yet convinced the ergos are right for me. The V-Strom is probably the smart choice but I dislike the styling (I'm not a fairings and contoured headlights kind of guy. I like naked bikes.). I fear the Triumph twins would be too small/uncomfortable for distance and a challenge to install luggage on.

Other suggestions were the Kawi Versys (hideous to look at, and out of my price range anyway), The Suzuki SV650 (I like the looks but worry about the riding position), Suzuki Bandit (ditto) and several BMWs, most of which are absurdly expensive or would have a ton of miles on them to be at my price point. I'd like age to be mid 90s to mid 2000s. Anything I'm forgetting? I know some of you have the bikes listed. The more I shop, the more confused I get as to what I really should have. I probably really need 2 bikes, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/12/12 6:39 a.m.

Have you considered a DIY road warrier? Where you take a perfectly fine street bike and make it far more dirt road capable.

I did that some years ago to my old Magna, which was already a dresser setup. I took that bike into all kinds of places where it had no business. Yes, I would have taken it through the very north section of Ridge Rd in Michaux, coming out of Mt Holly Springs. It would have handled it just fine.

This won't help you in the slightest, but I find myself rationalizing the purchase of a Pacific Coast myself.

Keep me in mind when you go to sell the KLR, I may be more interested than I should be. Fighting the 6 volt electrics of the XL500S is frustrating.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/12/12 6:56 a.m.

BMW G 650 GS SERTÃO?

Reviews say smooth, quick to rev, not a serious dirt bike but a capable off-roader. Needs tire upgrade to run in the mud.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
9/12/12 7:16 a.m.

This conversation makes me long for the old CL450. Too bad you could not find a decent used Triumph Scrambler.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/12/12 8:04 a.m.

Ninja 650r converted to dirt use. Does this fit your bill?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/12/12 8:12 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Ninja 650r converted to dirt use. Does this fit your bill?

I'm not sure of the "Why" behind this, but let me be the first to ask for more details.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
9/12/12 8:19 a.m.

Honda Transalp? They come up occasionally.

Oh wait, that's not naked at all.

9/12/12 8:22 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Honda Transalp? They come up occasionally.

I forgot about those - that seems perfect for the sort of nonsense I imagine myself doing.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/12/12 8:26 a.m.

A friend of mine had a couple of those. I really liked them.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/12/12 8:41 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Grtechguy wrote: Ninja 650r converted to dirt use. Does this fit your bill?
I'm not sure of the "Why" behind this, but let me be the first to ask for more details.

He wanted the perfect dual-sport

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562633

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/12/12 8:43 a.m.

That's really cool, but the location of the oil filter would have me a little worried.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/12/12 8:45 a.m.

Build a skid-plate then. or a remote filter setup (aka S10 4x4)

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
9/12/12 9:27 a.m.

If I were to spend money on a newer street bike, it would be a Kawi ER-6N, but if you don't like the Versys, the ER probably wouldn't be for you.

alex
alex UltraDork
9/12/12 10:18 a.m.

If you can stretch your budget by one or two thousand bucks, buy the best BMW R1100/1150GS you can find and be done with it.

I could write an essay called "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the GS." Several years ago, when I worked at an independent BMW/Euro/vintage shop, I was a bit of a café and sportbike snob. My kind of bike was one that was purpose built to go fast - nothing on the bike that doesn't contribute to speed or handling. I hated working on the "bloated" GS's (even though they were a breeze to service) and laughed at the way the suburban warriors kitted out their mall-mobiles with hundreds of pounds of junk. Then I rode one. And another one. And gradually, I began to get it: just like Land Rovers, you'll find plenty of owners who own them for the "Adventure" image of a rugged, self-reliant gentleman explorer, but that doesn't change the fact that at the core, they're very well designed vehicles that are significantly more capable (in just about every respect) than a large portion of their owners.

If you have better self discipline than me, it could easily be your only bike. With a strong rider, it will carve corners around hamfisted sportbike riders. It's comfortable enough for back-to-back multi-hundred-mile days. It's about as reliable as a hammer, and with regular maintenance will last just about forever. (I've personally disassembled cylinders with 90,000 miles on them with the factory cross-hatching still visible.) And its bulk disappears above a walking pace, making it a capable urban commuter. This is all to say nothing of the aftermarket, wherein you can turn a GS into just about anything your heart desires.

They really are all they're cracked up to be. I'll be buying one the moment that funds allow.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
9/12/12 12:10 p.m.

Can you ride a r1100 off road? I am really curious because they must weight 500lbs.

If I was you I'd grab a set of rims for the xlr and throw street tires on them. The dirt tires don't you you any favor on the street. At least that was my impression riding my Moms honda 230something on the street. Off road I think something between 400-600cc would be perfect.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/12/12 12:15 p.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Can you ride a r1100 off road? I am really curious because they must weight 500lbs. If I was you I'd grab a set of rims for the xlr and throw street tires on them. The dirt tires don't you you any favor on the street. At least that was my impression riding my Moms honda 230something on the street. Off road I think something between 400-600cc would be perfect.

Have you been on ADVRider? the R1100 based GS and GSA is the most ridden off road bike worldwide.

9/12/12 12:16 p.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Can you ride a r1100 off road? I am really curious because they must weight 500lbs.

I have to ask the same thing - I mean, I am sure you can manage a dirt road or trail but I don;t see that thing hustling up a pole line, over single track with jumps and ruts or mud/wet too easily. If you drop it in the woods - it must be a freakin' handful to get righted again.

I still want one just because I am too old and brittle to try jumping triples anymore and I bet it can take me almost anywhere I'd want to go with it.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/12/12 12:17 p.m.

For reference, I had my DRZ 400 off road yesterday. It was fine on dirt roads and wide trails, but was far to big and heavy (317 pounds) for the trails through the woods.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/12/12 7:36 p.m.

As usual, you guys bring a completely different perspective.

My brother-in-law has a BMW R1100R. A road bike, but a versatile one. I still have to ride it to see what it's like. I have to say I am very wary of BMW maintenance costs. Back when I was looking at K75's final drive failures were common. Electronics are gawdawful expensive. And lots and lots of posts on ADV from 'former' BMW riders who have gone to something else and are happy their headaches are over. Ironic, because I adore the 3 series I race.

The custom bikes are interesting but I'm not into 'building' one like shown above. Other than adding a skid plate and spooning on some different tires bike work doesn't interest me in the same way car work does. The bike I just want to ride.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
9/12/12 8:02 p.m.

Naked V-Strom.

Boom done.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/13/12 6:05 a.m.

If you're not planning on really off roading, you don't need a skid plate.

What are you thinking you do want in a bike? What kind of riding really are you doing, and thinking about doing? It all makes a huge difference in bike recommendations.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/13/12 6:35 a.m.

I did kind of gloss over that, didn't I?

I don't commute to work (unless today's interview changes that), but if I did it wouldn't be on the KLR since it's slab riding 2 miles from home either direction. (Clarification: it's 2 miles TO the slab. After that, I've probably got 30+ minutes of driving to get to any job). If I did commute I'd want something better suited to that.

My real riding is to escape for a day. With dirt in the mix I do about 200-250 mile rides. More pavement would drive my mileage up closer to 300 I'd think. I want something more comfortable: better seat, less vibration, good ergos (I prefer a more upright stance) and smoother on the highway/capable of doing 80 for periods if needed. I don't care about acceleration, it's ability to do stunts or how much chrome it has. I'm okay with windshields but don't dig full-on fairings for both vanity and practical reasons.

The KLR is holding me back from taking weekend trips riding the twisty two lanes here and in states like MD/VA/WV/NY and so on. It needs to be capable of handling some side bags at a minimum. I'd like it to be capable of two-up riding but realistically my wife probably won't climb on it much. 600-1000cc would be my preferred size; I think bigger is just bigger/heavier.

It would be nice if, should the pavement end, I don't feel compelled to turn around. Most improved gravel roads around here (as Foxtrapper knows) are pretty well groomed and can be ridden on most bikes. However, some of them are covered in thick loose stone that can be a challenge, particularly in tight turns. I realize I'd have to adjust my riding to suit. Tires I've only used dual-sport 60/40, no knobbies even on the KLR and it generally works decent.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/13/12 6:38 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Honda Transalp? They come up occasionally. Oh wait, that's not naked at all.

The Transalp is a fine bike but a) it's got a lot of plastic, b) they are pretty old now and c) there isn't much in the way of farkles for them.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/13/12 6:39 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Naked V-Strom. Boom done.

Wouldn't that just be a SV650?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/13/12 7:50 a.m.

You do realize that your description of what you want almost perfectly matches the Honda Pacific Coast? Ever read the threads about them over on ADVRider?

Well, I'd like to toss a few things out for thought about all day rides and going offroad with street bikes.

Changing handlebars can radically change the way a bike works. Cruisers especially, since they tend to come with pullback bars. Get wider more tiller like dirt bike bars and the cruisers front wheel can now be wrestled with success on dirt trails. This is the best, most worthwhile change I know of for many bikes, especially those with aspirations of off-road rides.

Footpeg location can't be as easily changed, but is very important. Bikes with inherent foot forward posture cannot be controlled on dirt tracks the way a bike with more upright riding posture can be controlled. Most folk don't find the foot foward posture good for long rides either.

Tank bags are wonderfull day luggage. You can see if you start to drop things out of them. You can take the bag with you to prevent theft. They aren't wide and won't catch things when snaking through brush (or gas station pillars).

Weight height matters more than weight total. Ever ridden a GL1200 Wing? It's a remarkably easy bike to handle because of how low the weight is.

Underpants. The single most important item you wear for personal all day riding comfort. Athletic wear without seams that chaff and cut is wonderfull.

A simple throttle lock that will let you momentarily relax your right hand and shake it out is heavenly. On any bike.

Tires type isn't as critical as you'd think. Sure, it matters for the racer, for the MX or road racer type. But in between, they all work pretty well. From generic UJM chunky block treads of decades ago, to the vagely tractor tire tread patterns of the touring or cruiser type. They will all do fine on dirt roads, and surprisingly well on dry single track trails and moderate rocks. God help you in slippery mud.

Seats. Farmers sit all day on tractors. Tractor seats are shaped that way for a reason. No, you can't squirm all around in a tractor seat, but then again, you don't have to. It's not all that hard to fit a Harley saddle, or even a real tractor seat, to anything. Hoseclamps and zip ties are wonderfull.

Seat covers can matter, especially in the summer around here. Those idiotic looking bead seat covers really do let air flow. Sheepskin, less so. And if you've no vanity, that sweetcheeks soda bottle seat widener really works. One could be clever and gin up some PVC storage containers for it instead of the 2 liter bottles.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
odJu8exGtOWBM5asen464pvD1IdanR5r4kZQSw7J8fMHy2n8Rw8nwJkv18OmJR47