1 2 3
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/29/12 7:43 p.m.

Kawasaki W650, another bike that is a well kept secret, apparently.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
10/29/12 8:22 p.m.

Yes, they totally flew under the radar. I don't think it's often that retro is that well done.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
10/30/12 12:27 p.m.

It's pretty, but to live with...? Zero aftermarket support for farkles. Uncomfortable seat for long rides. Mediocre handling. Mediocre brakes. Mediocre highway legs. Mediocre ergonomics.

A great bike for riding to the local bars and for cruising around town. But I thought you wanted to go on long(er) rides on highways where the KLR wasn't cutting it? I don't see this bike handling that stuff any better.

It is pretty though, in a retro way. And being a Kawasaki, it'll be reliable.

alex
alex UltraDork
10/30/12 2:25 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Zero aftermarket support

Stateside, yes. But these things are still being built for other (more enlightened) markets. You'll probabbly have to go international to find it, but there is an aftermarket for these.

Kawasaki was way ahead of the retro bike craze when they brought these to the States, and they were a sales flop. Fact is, they built a better Bonneville copy than Triumph, and they did it first.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/30/12 4:44 p.m.

I know they are bad for me, but I can't get away from digging the look of the Bonneville style bike(s) without the vintage bike headaches. There is some aftermarket stuff (racks, side bags/cases) but you have to dig for them and maybe buy from Germany.

I think I have motorcycle A.D.D.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
10/31/12 2:04 p.m.

OK. There's two on ebay right now that aren't all that far away from you. Go Saturday and see if you can plunk yourself down on one to see if it feels as good as you hope.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/31/12 6:26 p.m.

Negative. I'm teaching teen drivers all weekend. (Want to come and help?) As the weather turns ever frigid, my burning desire to buy something wanes.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/2/12 9:31 a.m.

You being an insurance weenie, and this being a Pacific Coast, I just naturally thought of you...

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/2/12 5:53 p.m.

You're an idiot.

A couple V-Stroms have surfaced in my price range. I know I said I thought they were ugly but I should at least ride one...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/2/12 9:14 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: A couple V-Stroms have surfaced in my price range. I know I said I thought they were ugly but I should at least ride one...

Oh yes. I can see the appeal.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/3/12 5:33 a.m.

The gloves are coming off.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/7/12 12:08 p.m.

Oh look! A whole thread over on the ADVrider forum on dumping a KLR650 for a scooter.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839262

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/7/12 8:42 p.m.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/12/12 5:31 a.m.

/thread. It is done.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
11/12/12 3:37 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

Congrats! I think I'm headed in the same direction, is this a 650 or 1000? What made you decide to pull the trigger?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/13/12 4:49 a.m.

OhhHHHoo, "smurf blue", can't imagine why you chose that color!

So come on, it's bragging time. Tell us all about the wonders of this bike and how perfect it is for you.

Oh, and I checked the interweb, and if I do get a Pacific Coast, they say we can ride together. See?:

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/13/12 6:17 a.m.

I got the 650. I read so many guys who had 1000's and later got 650's for various reasons, one of which is the sucky fuel mileage. I guess if you'd be hauling a lot of weight, or a hefty pillion, or are just into powah the 1000 might be better but I can't see why you'd want one.

I really, really wanted the Triumph Tiger to be "it" but something about riding it just didn't gel with me. I didn't feel comfortable on it. That I was still looking at alternatives should have told me something. I begrudgingly clicked on an ad on ADV Rider for the Wee Strom because it was close to me (closer to Foxtrapper; snooze you lose SUCKAH!) and the guy photographed it just the right way that I didn't feel it was completely ugly like I usually do. His situation also had him wanting to take a partial trade in a cheap dual sport, which I just happened to have, so a mutually satisfying deal was easy to reach pending my riding the thing and it winning me over. Which it did. In about 2 miles.

I only got it Sunday, and hauled it in the truck because of all the extras we swapped back and forth that wouldn't fit on the KLR, so other then the half hour test ride I haven't ridden it. The darn thing just feels right under me. The powah is smooth, it handles nicely, it's not as demanding as the Tiger felt. I dig the color (actually wanted a Tigger in a similar shade). The brakes actually slow it when you pull the lever and there's a sixth gear just like there should be (two major failings of the KLR). Ooooh look! There's a clock in the dash! And an actual fuel gauge thingie! And storage under the seat. And no stupid innertubes. And a headlight brighter than a candle. And...

While still in the seller's driveway:

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/15/12 5:48 a.m.

Right, I got it.

Storage under the seat, like the Pacific Coast.

A fuel gauge, like the Pacific Coast.

Midsized engine, like the Pacific Coast.

Smooth power, like the Pacific Coast...

But a clock in the dash?

Even the Pacific Coast draws the line at that one.

Perhaps it's your inner Gold Winger coming out?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/15/12 6:40 a.m.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
11/15/12 9:10 a.m.

^ HAHAHA

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FfCsyaUQspyK53DUSGbutSJ0E9dJQJbjt18Nrko5rRYO3Y7lVxUo1nkzUUbydtRU