1 2
Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/10/17 2:41 p.m.

I picked this up for $400 with a title. 1980 Yamaha XS400

She wants it to look like this (but with tangerine wheels):

Here we are this past Saturday:

Where we are at now:

I know that the tires wont be to everyone's taste, but man do they look burley. This isn't a bike to be ridden in anger (or bad weather) or ever go off pavement.

Still need to work on the wiring for the lights and turn signals and need the brake lines to show up.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
8/10/17 3:30 p.m.

Masterfully done!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/10/17 3:42 p.m.

Gorgeous! Man, I was thinking she got hosed when you have the Ducatis sitting there, but she's got an attention grabber that's for sure.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/10/17 4:04 p.m.

Thanks!

The 1098 is hers. She got jealous when I built this last summer and wanted something less hardcore than a superbike to play with.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/10/17 4:17 p.m.

Nicely done! Great looking bikes that still look rideable. (unlike most cafe racers)

Great job!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/10/17 4:19 p.m.

WHAT Is that headlight from?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/10/17 4:34 p.m.

That is a V-rod headlight.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/10/17 4:36 p.m.

looks better there than where it came from for sure. It just looks right

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/10/17 5:55 p.m.

Looks great!

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
8/10/17 6:02 p.m.

That turned out great. You guys have some great toys to play with

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/17 9:43 a.m.

A week? I spent 3 months screwing with my handle bars and shortening my control cables. I feel like a chump.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/11/17 11:09 a.m.

That's very nice! Mind sharing some details? (wheels, forks, etc?)

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/11/17 11:50 a.m.

I bought a $80 parts bike for the mag wheels and disk front, but then found out that the 16" dia rear didn't allow any decent tires in the style that we wanted. So I bought a 18" dia rear rim, swingarm, and rear brake from another model XS400. I had to fab up a bracket for a master cylinder.

We bought the seat, but I had to make my own rear hoop as it wasn't a standard size for tubing benders.

I recessed the tail light with turn signals into the hoop.

I painted the motor a combo of wrinkle and gloss. Then added some polished bolts.

I did the paint myself, the only thing I farmed out was mounting the tires onto the freshly painted rims (couldn't powder coat - the cush rubbers are molded into the wheel) I built a battery tray under the seat to fit a small Shorai battery. I used a Trail tech Vapor speedo.

Still need to buy shocks. I rode it for the first time last night down the street after getting the brake lines installed and bled. I have to figure out the lighting. I have LED turns on the forks with resistors, but they are not working. Also the brake light isn't working. I have the stock rear light switch and one built into the front brake lever all hooked up to the stock wiring harness.

The plan is to get this ready for the Mods vs Rockers tomorrow night. I work better with a deadline.

Mods vs Rockers 2017

I have a more extensive build thread HERE

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/13/17 9:50 a.m.

Almost.....

The battery is not charging.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
8/13/17 2:16 p.m.

I like that a lot. Nice work.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
8/13/17 4:07 p.m.

Beautiful work sir.

octavious
octavious Dork
9/21/17 8:56 a.m.

WOW!  Both are fantastic!  That Guzzi is epic!  Do you have any more pics?  

Also, Ohio plates?  Where?  I cover Ohio for my office. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/21/17 9:07 a.m.

That recessed taillight is a brilliant idea (pun intended.)

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/21/17 7:19 p.m.
octavious said:

WOW!  Both are fantastic!  That Guzzi is epic!  Do you have any more pics?  

Also, Ohio plates?  Where?  I cover Ohio for my office. 

Thanks! We are on the far west side of Cleveland.

the Guzzi turned out better then I expected and it is a blast to ride, but the XS400 seems to get more attention when we are stopped somewhere.

the Distinguished Gentlemens Ride is this Sunday and we are ready.

Here are some more pics - 

And here is the build thread

Ugly Goose

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/21/17 7:22 p.m.

Picked up some new (cheap) shocks that are a little longer - to give it the Mall Terrain Vehicle look

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/4/17 3:27 p.m.

I love both of those bikes. Kudos

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
10/7/17 4:18 p.m.

Beautiful bikes!  I love the knobby tires, and the color combo is spot on.  Nice work!

physician
physician Reader
10/8/17 7:37 p.m.

Really nice work on both bikes. Nice to see some other old mods bikes  here.

How is the ride with the knobby?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
12/28/17 9:54 a.m.

My wife's bike is up for Bike of the Month on a cafe racer website that I have the build thread on - feel free to sign up and vote! If you are into modifying old bikes (or reading about other peoples projects), that is a great resource. 

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74968.new#new

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/28/17 10:13 a.m.

that is pretty kick ass scooter you build for the bride. Not sure if more jealous of the toys or the fact that you have a wife that likes the game.

That said, I am going to hold you to task for one  ( very subjective) design detail that I really liked on the example but did not carry over. The header pipe on the example has a square look about, it with the down portion  of the exhaust header pipe paralleling the down-pipe on the chassis. That feature really caught my attention for some reason.

That said, you did not crate a clone of the example, but rather your own vision and is a lot of ways I prefer what you built. Love the taillight and tires.

Pete

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TKwHPM4yzTnC1AbEDWpMocbCfW26zqCzq2ahD1UKhK5V2T01BRGogyXTNbmeamng